Something in a box showed up!

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by bodia, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Far out! :)

ScottR and bodia like this.
  2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Groovy!

3. dynadog44

dynadog44 Hack Guitarist

Dude, I am so excited to play one of these. All of the video footage I've seen and heard really does the amp justice. Such a big sound! Congratulations and enjoy the amp!

bodia likes this.
  4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Silver pants make me wanna dance.

Amongst other things, Bodia let me play through this today. I have to say it’s a real winner! Loud as hell and a n no way does it sound like a $650 amp.... Archon owners beware.

Alnus Rubra, bodia and bluenova like this.
  5. JustRob

JustRob Just a member

Ordered mine Friday. Didn't want to wait for shipping, but I decided an 18 hour round trip to get it wasn't practical. 8 would have been about my limit.
    But I have no cabinet. Not sure what I'm going to do. The MT112s seem to be a little behind.
    I'm undecided about going and finding some cheap cab at a pawn shop, buying a 2x12 different cab, or getting some load box / DI until the cabs are available.

Boogie and bodia like this.
  6. bodia

You sounded great through it. It was nice to hear someone else play it. Gives me another perspective.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  7. bodia

I've got mine going through a Recto 2x12. Sounds amazing. Had it at Mike's yesterday going through a PRS 2x12. That sounded awesome too!

JustRob likes this.
  8. Evil Z06

Evil Z06 New Member

You guys are getting me excited about this little brute of an amp.Hopefully I will be getting mine in a couple of weeks. I will be running it through a Marshall 4 x 12 1960 cabinet.I will be running it along with my Peavey 6505MH and Marshall DSL20H each with their own cabinet through a Radial Switchbone V2 so I can switch between each one or run them in stereo or all at the same time.

bodia likes this.
  9. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for hanging out with us, it was good to see you again

10. andross182

andross182 New Member

Dammit. This is what I was afraid of. Volume taper of a Mesa FTL. Yeah yeah I get that amps are supposed to be loud but there is absolutely nothing wrong with actually having to turn the knob to get there...guess I'll wait to play one live before picking one up. Or waiting for the early adopters move on and they show up on reverb!

ScottR likes this.
  11. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

I don’t mind if it’s loud at 11:00. What I care about, is if it is controllable before it gets there. The archon definitely is, so I will hope this is not quite as touchy as it may have appeared . I often play the archon with the gain channel master at 9 o’clock to 9:30, But it is very controllable even that low on the dial

#51 DreamTheaterRules, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    ScottR likes this.
  12. Buck

Buck It feels awesome to be metal in a plastic society

Sounds fuggin' awesome through Orange 2x12 closed back with V30's. You can usually pick those up used for a great price and there are plenty of them out there, built like tanks-16 ohm and look cool too. My only issue with the PPC212 is it sounds a bit heavy in the mids for some reason, usually have to turn down mids on the amp to balance it out. I bet it would also sound really sweet through a PRS 2x12 deep back cab!!!

My MT15 is coming today, but played my buddies again yesterday and the lead channel volume is a little touchy, but overall not too bad. Fiddled with it for a bit and it's not a massive volume jump from bedroom level to cranked, but the progressive volume increase isn't as fluid as some others. Definitely not a huge deal and I got used to it and made the necessary adjustments turning the dial. IMHO, it's definitely very usable for me. I can easily live with the touchiness of it, it's not too bad and the rest of the amp more than makes up for it. Plus, I pretty much always play it cranked up, never really heard a tube amp that didn't sound way better when pushed, although this one does a pretty good job at bedroom volumes :)

Everybody have a safe and happy 4th of July!!! ...and don't blow any fingers off, you need those to play your guitar brah!

#52 Buck, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  13. andross182

andross182 New Member

I use my Archon 100 at bedroom (and louder) sounds now. Uncontrollable lower volume is the #1 reason why I bench amps (Looking at you Rectoverb 25) so I was hoping this little lunchbox would be more forgiving, ill wait and see. Will probably grab a Helix next before a MT15 though.

bodia likes this.
  14. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump New Member

Keep on truckin'

15. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

Congrats, dude. Next time there's an IL hang you'll have to bring it so I can riff on it.

bodia likes this.
  16. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

I'm going to guess: a cat. Because cat:boxes::white:rice.

bodia likes this.
  17. bodia

Count on it!

Now that Sergio has an actual Santana, maybe we can get Santana Fest off the ground.

Alnus Rubra and veinbuster like this.
  18. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Silver pants make me wanna dance.

Yeah, but now Rider can’t come. :p

bodia likes this.
  19. bodia

He and Boogie can run sound, or be door greeters.

Alnus Rubra and sergiodeblanc like this.
  20. veinbuster

veinbuster Coming of age

I don’t know. Once you open the door, everybody will try to sneak in. At least Rider owned one for a while. Boogie has barely been tempted.

bodia and sergiodeblanc like this.