Something got posted to USA on Monday. Something took a trip in a box!

images

BORDER FOUL

Referencing Canadian pronunciation in a thread explicitly about the US posted by a non-Canadian.

And since you're not Canadian, you can't just apologize your way out of this.

Apparently the Canadians very kindly allowed us to use this word too!;)

images

BORDER FOUL

Referencing Canadian pronunciation in a thread explicitly about the US posted by a non-Canadian.

And since you're not Canadian, you can't just apologize your way out of this.
Obviously you do not drink much, if any, Scotch Whisky.

The Irish spell it Whiskey, and Americans got the spelling from the Irish. Even though Kentucky Bourbon really has Welsh origins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Williams_(bourbon)

Evan Williams was a Welsh immigrant, who was born in Dale, Pembrokeshire, but emigrated to the United States towards the end of the 18th century. Williams settled in Kentucky and began distilling in 1783, in what is now Louisville, Kentucky. A historical marker in Louisville (depicted in photo at right) says the site was Kentucky's first commercial distillery. Williams was elected to serve as the first wharf master of Louisville in 1797.

And possibly a Welsh origin for that non-Bourbon (really a sour mash) Jack Daniels:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entries/63119a51-9e2a-3316-8a0b-ec2861633c98

For the record, I was born in Canada with Welsh roots, and am now an American (dual) citizen. And I drink all kinds of whisk(e)y!

The Irish spell it Whiskey, and Americans got the spelling from the Irish. Even though Kentucky Bourbon really has Welsh origins:

Evan Williams was a Welsh immigrant, who was born in Dale, Pembrokeshire, but emigrated to the United States towards the end of the 18th century. Williams settled in Kentucky and began distilling in 1783, in what is now Louisville, Kentucky. A historical marker in Louisville (depicted in photo at right) says the site was Kentucky's first commercial distillery. Williams was elected to serve as the first wharf master of Louisville in 1797.

And possibly a Welsh origin for that non-Bourbon (really a sour mash) Jack Daniels:

For the record, I was born in Canada with Welsh roots, and am now an American (dual) citizen. And I drink all kinds of whisk(e)y!

All I know is Malt Whisky is great!

All I know is Malt Whisky is great!
You Scots don’t call it the ‘water of life’ for nothing! I got my first, real, scotch education from an Inverness native living in Oxford, working in a little liquor store basically across the street from the university, in the late 80s. Had to enter via a cart-wide alley. That wonderful gentleman schooled me on the geography and character, Helping me find a fav in each type...by sampling. After the 6th shot, my wife came to collect me - quite poo-faced - with an 18 year Macallan...that was bottled in 1974...tucked securely under my arm! It had an aged, dusty box because it had sat in the back of the shelf for years. Cost: £38. It was special then, it’s priceless to me now. My sons and I drank the last of it after the last one graduated college. One of the greatest experiences of my life.

I've been to Dale. There's really nothing there. I never knew about the Bourbon link though otherwise I may have paid more attention as we drove by. My Parents have a flat in Pembroke and it's a lovely corner of the world. In fact we'd probably be there right now if the Welsh had lifted lockdown a bit as it's half term week. I'm quite partial to a Penderyn Whisky from South Wales

The Irish spell it Whiskey, and Americans got the spelling from the Irish. Even though Kentucky Bourbon really has Welsh origins

Actually, the Irish who created the whiskey industry in America were not true Irish. They were Scots-Irish (a.k.a. Ulster Scot), which is not the same thing. For one, the Scots-Irish were Presbyterian, which is a religion that was primarily practiced in Scotland during that period of time. True Irish men and women were Catholic. True Irish did not arrive on our shores in considerable numbers until the potato famine, which occurred in the nineteenth century (Catholics were only truly welcome in Maryland during the colonial period, which George Calvert, a.k.a Lord Baltimore, established as a Catholic sanctuary). On the other hand, the Scots-Irish landed on our shores in large numbers during the 18th century, some as early as the 17th century. The Scots-Irish were actually originally from the border between lowland Scotland and northern England. They were mostly border reivers (border raiders) and other assorted problem children from the same area (the border was lawless). Oliver Cromwell transported these trouble makers to Ulster Plantation in Northern Ireland. A large number of Scots-Irish men (usually prisoners of war due to having served as mercenaries who were difficult to control) and Scots-Irish women were eventually transported to the American colonies from Ulster Plantation and sold into bondage as indentured servants (for example, Campbell, as in Glen Campbell, is a border reiver Scots-Irish clan name). Many of these indentured servants ran away to what was then the western frontier; namely, the hills of Appalachia (a place that was not safe because it was populated by Native Americans who were hostile to colonists). The term "hillbilly" is a contraction of "hill" and "billly." A "Billy" was a Scots-Irishman (after King Billy, William of Orange).

A big distinction between between American whiskey and Scotch/Irish whiskey is that American whiskey is made with a grist that is primarily grains other than barley. These grains may be malted or unmalted whereas Scotch and Irish whiskey are made primarily from malted barley. The grist for Straight Bourbon needs to contain at least 51% corn and the grist for Straight Rye needs to contain at least 51% rye. Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey were created by the Scots-Irish in Kentucky and Tennessee (Kentucky was part of Virginia and Tennessee was part of North Carolina during the colonial period). Rye whiskey was created by Scots-Irish in Pennsylvania and Maryland. I am a BJCP certified beer judge, and I made all-grain beer for over twenty years. Whiskey is basically distilled unhopped beer, which is why I am familiar with the process. There is a huge overlap in the skills necessary to produce beer and whiskey. They both use the same process to convert starch to sugar (a.k.a. "mashing" or more technically, the hydrolysis of starch).

Actually, the Irish who created the whiskey industry in America were not true Irish. They were Scots-Irish (a.k.a. Ulster Scot), which is not the same thing. For one, the Scots-Irish were Presbyterian, which is a religion that was primarily practiced in Scotland during that period of time. True Irish men and women were Catholic. True Irish did not arrive on our shores in considerable numbers until the potato famine, which occurred in the nineteenth century (Catholics were only truly welcome in Maryland during the colonial period, which George Calvert, a.k.a Lord Baltimore, established as a Catholic sanctuary). On the other hand, the Scots-Irish landed on our shores in large numbers during the 18th century, some as early as the 17th century. The Scots-Irish were actually originally from the border between lowland Scotland and northern England. They were mostly border reivers (border raiders) and other assorted problem children from the same area (the border was lawless). Oliver Cromwell transported these trouble makers to Ulster Plantation in Northern Ireland. A large number of Scots-Irish men (usually prisoners of war due to having served as mercenaries who were difficult to control) and Scots-Irish women were eventually transported to the American colonies from Ulster Plantation and sold into bondage as indentured servants (for example, Campbell, as in Glen Campbell, is a border reiver Scots-Irish clan name). Many of these indentured servants ran away to what was then the western frontier; namely, the hills of Appalachia (a place that was not safe because it was populated by Native Americans who were hostile to colonists). The term "hillbilly" is a contraction of "hill" and "billly." A "Billy" was a Scots-Irishman (after King Billy, William of Orange).

A big distinction between between American whiskey and Scotch/Irish whiskey is that American whiskey is made with a grist that is primarily grains other than barley. These grains may be malted or unmalted whereas Scotch and Irish whiskey are made primarily from malted barley. The grist for Straight Bourbon needs to contain at least 51% corn and the grist for Straight Rye needs to contain at least 51% rye. Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey were created by the Scots-Irish in Kentucky and Tennessee (Kentucky was part of Virginia and Tennessee was part of North Carolina during the colonial period). Rye whiskey was created by Scots-Irish in Pennsylvania and Maryland. I am a BJCP certified beer judge, and I made all-grain beer for over twenty years. Whiskey is basically distilled unhopped beer, which is why I am familiar with the process. There is a huge overlap in the skills necessary to produce beer and whiskey. They both use the same process to convert starch to sugar (a.k.a. "mashing" or more technically, the hydrolysis of starch).
Acknowledged! Yeah, I knew some of that, but I was really just yanking someone's chain, more than anything, about the spelling of Whisky.

I used to work for a descendant of the Calverts, and he is indeed Catholic, and very proud of his Maryland roots.

I play in a Celtic band, and one of my bandmates is well versed (or appears as such) on the the history of the Scots-Irish in America, their indentured servitude (ending after a long while "legally" or via early escape, as you noted) and how the traditional music of Ireland and Scotland got simplified into Appalachian folk music (what is now often called "old time"), which, through other influences over time, spawned bluegrass and country.

And of course the other amusing tangent is the use of banjo in Trad Irish music, now-a-days - it was one of the early Appalachian folk instruments, introduced by African-American slaves. It wasn't a "trad" Irish instrument originally, first used in the early 20th century but now widely accepted (typically the 4 string tenor banjo variety, of which I have/play one). The Irish Trad "police" (there was another word I was going to use, but it is highly pejorative) tend to frown upon "non-trad" instruments like electric guitars (even big jazzy things) or djembes, but fully accept a banjo or bouzouki (not used until the 1960s!)

So, um, has @Alnus Rubra 's package arrived somewhere yet?

Back