Some PRS Jazz

siamese

PRS S2 Standard 24, with the new Roland Blues Cube series [I've been teasing a few guys to guess whether its the BC "Hot" or the BC "Artist" as I have both]. Not the most amazing thing, and they aren't perfect - I put them together real quick. This is just a "one shot, one take, whatever happens is what you get" pair of tracks - it was all done REAL quick and hasty just to get an idea of the sound. The idea was not to impress anyone with my playing, but just to capture the sound so that those wondering about the tones on the amp, the amp's sound/voice, the gain available, etc might get a gist of it. I think I did that reasonably well. Anyway - Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-915177372/minor-jazz-evening

https://soundcloud.com/user-915177372/swing-jazzwav

Sounds really good, the minor jazz tune has hints of blue bossa which is probably my favorite jazz tune. Good job

Thanks for posting - especially the clean minor jazz track. At least for me - I always like to evaluate guitars and amps on clean settings (OK with a bit of reverb or delay) before I listen to how they sound with effects or at amp breakup levels. If they don't pass the clean setting test, I go no further.

... I always like to evaluate guitars and amps on clean settings...

On my soundcloud I actually posted more samples of just the cleans and then the amps full drive for the curious on these amps, but I figured the "songs" would be more interesting to the community here.

Thanks for posting - especially the clean minor jazz track. At least for me - I always like to evaluate guitars and amps on clean settings (OK with a bit of reverb or delay) before I listen to how they sound with effects or at amp breakup levels. If they don't pass the clean setting test, I go no further.
An interesting aside: this concept applies to food/cooking. I need to taste my base ingredients as they are before I go adding stuff in, smothering in sauce, etc. If you don't know what a simple grilled steak tastes like without seasoning, how can you know how much seasoning it really needs? Yet the average chef starts from the default position that meat or chicken, or virtually anything else really, demands a large addition of salt before anything else occurs (and the high-echelon chefs add even more salt than that!).

Basically, chefs are salt addicts. Understandable because historically, prior to refrigeration the only way to preserve proteins for a period of time was to dry them and salt them. So humanity built up a taste for salt. Likewise in music, you almost never hear anything to which a large dash of reverb hasn't been tossed in. You could consider it the salt of music production.

Nice playing!

An interesting aside: this concept applies to food/cooking. I need to taste my base ingredients as they are before I go adding stuff in, smothering in sauce, etc. If you don't know what a simple grilled steak tastes like without seasoning, how can you know how much seasoning it really needs? Yet the average chef starts from the default position that meat or chicken, or virtually anything else really, demands a large addition of salt before anything else occurs (and the high-echelon chefs add even more salt than that!).

Basically, chefs are salt addicts. Understandable because historically, prior to refrigeration the only way to preserve proteins for a period of time was to dry them and salt them. So humanity built up a taste for salt. Likewise in music, you almost never hear anything to which a large dash of reverb hasn't been tossed in. You could consider it the salt of music production.

Not to get off topic, but I couldn't agree more. I like to veg out with one of the food channels on occasion. I cringe at the amount of salt they use/suggest, or when in a competition they criticize for lack of salt. I recall a meal at a "famous" steakhouse that I sent back, twice, because a beautiful cut of meat was dredged in salt. I'll season on my own, thank you very much. Hence, we go out for breakfast, and I cook dinner at home.

Sorry, back on topic...................

Reactions: CVS
I'm guilty - the amp reverb is 'on' a hair. The knob goes to '12' and I had it on '2'.
I'm as guilty as anyone! And it's because I'm insecure in my abilities. Maybe one day I'll be as good as Steve Howe or Joe Pass, and be able to play a fat acoustic/electric with heavy strings competently enough to forego the salt. But that day has not yet arrived lol

Reactions: CVS

Agree about chefs - I see a direct correlation between my blood pressure readings and when I eat out vs at home.
With respect to reverb, I am slowing heading toward less & less reverb - using delay more these days. For the most part I have to agree that it is the salt of music production

I've never liked spring reverb and used only a bit of delay for many years. Now I use a fair amount of digital reverb. And I salt the food when I cook it. So there!

Back