Some Nice 6L6s

Probably depends on the tube, but it sounds like a high frequency jingling or ringing sound when I've heard it on any of my amps...

Les, seems as you are describing a microphonic tube, which is different than rattling, although both are faulty tubes. Rattling is more as I described above.

It's more likely with combos than heads, due to the tubes hanging right next to speakers. A separate cab and head isolate the tubes a lot more, though there have been times I've gotten tube rattle even with a separate cab and head.
To get the most life out my tubes in the SuperD, I’d put the head on the floor under the cab. Got tired of changing tubes.
gigseone.jpg

Les, seems as you are describing a microphonic tube, which is different than rattling, although both are faulty tubes. Rattling is more as I described above.

No, I'm describing rattling, which I perceive as different than microphonic, YMMV. I know the difference. Vibrate anything against a small vial of glass and you get a high pitched ring.

In fact, shake a tube prone to rattling and you can hear it when it's not in the amp.

Back