Some general questions about my new S2 Custom 24

deathbyguitar

So I finally got myself a PRS after almost 20 years of wanting one. Found a jet black 2013 S2 Custom 24 from Guitar Center's used section. A couple of long-winded questions:

1. I read that S2's use Chinese electronics and I wanna upgrade to better stuff. Would I need to make larger holes to put in higher quality American pots? Also I wanna swap the lamp shades for speed knobs. Aren't the SE speed knobs made for import pots? What's the best approach overall?

2. Where there any significant changes to the S2 line since my 2013 model? My model has a flimsy feeling 3-way switch on it but I played an 2016 S2 Custom 24 in a store the other day that had the same switch as a Core model. Seems like they must have decided to go with better switches as time went on.

3. I'm planning on completely immobilizing the trem on this thing. A guitar tech friend of mine recommended a Floyd Rose Tremolo Stop Lock. If I'm planning on taking the springs out and putting a wood block behind the trem, would I still be good with one stop lock or should I get a second? Not sure if taking out the springs makes a difference in the situation.

4. I plan on getting the MannMade upgrade kit with the brass block, the better saddles and such. Any other must-have upgrades I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

I’m sorry you feel so disappointed with your S2 Custom 24 purchase.

Most of us here find them pretty much fault-free.

Some will changing out the pickups on the pre-2017 models (ones without the 85/15 “S” pickups).

The trem really doesn’t require blocking. If you don’t plan to use it, don’t stick the arm in. This isn’t a Strat.

If you want to change out the Alpha pots with CTS, then you will need to ream out the shaft holes.

If you do change out your pots and you want to replace the knobs, I’d recommend buying knobs designed for the larger shafts.

Wow. That's a lot of changes you are planning there!
My 1st thought was that maybe you didnt get the right guitar but probably you just like to personalise them?

I blocked up the trem on my SE Cust24. I haven't done so on my CE24 because it works perfectly. In 50 years of playing its the only trem I've ever had that does.

One block will prevent upward (rising pitch) motion. Both blocks will stop downward also. I've used both. Try one to start with and see how you get on.

Good luck with your new guitar :)

I’m sorry you feel so disappointed with your S2 Custom 24 purchase.

Most of us here find them pretty much fault-free.

Some will changing out the pickups on the pre-2017 models (ones without the 85/15 “S” pickups).

The trem really doesn’t require blocking. If you don’t plan to use it, don’t stick the arm in. This isn’t a Strat.

If you want to change out the Alpha pots with CTS, then you will need to ream out the shaft holes.

If you do change out your pots and you want to replace the knobs, I’d recommend buying knobs designed for the larger shafts.

I switch turnings all the time so having it blocked is a necessity. I've always avoided guitars with trems (not my style) but I HAD to have a guitar with a PRS body. I look of them so much. And the neck is to die for. It was either buying this and modding it a bit or endlessly buying and selling cheaper guitars to try and pacify desire for a PRS. Nope! I'm at home with my S2 for the time being.

There's no such thing a a perfect guitar for me unless I decide to just build a guitar myself (No) or if I pay out the wazoo for something.

I might be wrong but I think they moved to a different korean source for pots for S2, mine doesnt have alphas anyway. I've needed to ream out pot hole on SEs for CTS pots but my S2 has pickguard and it didnt need any adjustment, not a sold body mounting though. I only really changed to pot which I like and to get a higher value for fannying about with overall guitar tone, the stock ones were actually fine in taper etc, and were 460K

I just had my S2 open for a pickup swap, and the pots are definitely Korean. I really like the taper on them, so they're not getting changed. I do find the toggle too wiggly for my taste, so there's a Switchcraft on the wau..

The newer S2's have good hardware, at least my 2019 does. The switch is very robust, unlike the SE Mira I had for a short period of time (also 2019). Trem and pots are good too, but I don't need or want to block it. I would look at MannMade for what you're after. The 85/15 pups are great, but I imagine yours must be #7's in it. Although you didn't mention swapping those out.

Back