Some Advice Please

DanLono53

Hi to all,

Seeking some advice from the PRS pros in this community. :)

I recently purchased an SE Santana that I am really enjoying. So much so that I plan on getting a second SE!

I will be selling a solid body gretsch electromatic model because I find it more difficult to play since the body of the guitar is heavy and I struggle to keep it in balance. Problems that I do not have with the SE Santana as its much lighter and much better balanced.

I have an interest in the SE Custom24. Its coil splitting is interesting to me. Will going to a 25 inch 24 fret guitar be too different?

Thanks for you help.

Cheers!

D.

Hi Dan,
Some guys have a problem with that, but I don't have a problem at all switching between the two. I'm much more sensitive to neck carves. Just head to Guitar Center and try one out.

Hi to all,

Seeking some advice from the PRS pros in this community. :)

I recently purchased an SE Santana that I am really enjoying. So much so that I plan on getting a second SE!

I will be selling a solid body gretsch electromatic model because I find it more difficult to play since the body of the guitar is heavy and I struggle to keep it in balance. Problems that I do not have with the SE Santana as its much lighter and much better balanced.

I have an interest in the SE Custom24. Its coil splitting is interesting to me. Will going to a 25 inch 24 fret guitar be too different?

Thanks for you help.

Cheers!

D.

The SE Custom 24 that I had (older flattop model) feels just a hair heavier the SE Santana, but nearly a pound heavier than the SE Singlecut in my local shop, though that may just be mine. The scale length doesn't matter much, unless if you play drop tunings or lots bluesy bends. With 10-46 gauges on, I even can switch from my Custom (25" in standard half-step down tuning) to my bro's Tele (25.5 inch in standard tuning) with no problem at all. The 25" scale won't be as slinky feeling as the 24.5" the SE Santana has, so if you're used to a specific gauge of strings, you might have to fight the tension a tad more while doing bends, or you'd have to take slimmer strings. Like Brad mentioned, the neck carves will have a more obvious difference. The Wide/Thin neck may feel skinny compared to Wide/Fat on the Santana. Some people can't get over the difference, but to some people (including me), it doesn't matter and could live with either/both. The 24 frets on 25" scale will feel just fine for you (i think). The 0.5" and 2 extra frets makes the neck feel longer, but this makes the higher fret access easier, so it'll be just as nice as the Santana at the 22nd fret. Just check it out and see if it speaks to you. Make sure you try more than one model, so that you can pull the best one out of the herd. You never know which one will go home with you!

I own both 2012 models, and they are equally to play to me.
I do like the 25" scale better though, and also the wide/thin neck of the CU24 and Tremonti Custom, another 2012 model I have.
All guitars of mine have 9 - 42s on them.

As others said, go check out the CU24.

Back