Solved / Would you go around with your 20k PRS?

No disrespect Intended, but if I could ever afford a 20k guitar, then I wouldn’t worry about taking it out. (Or much else for that matter-lol)
Don't you think you're confusing the concept of "wealthy" with "stupid"?
I mean, being able to afford certain goods doesn't mean that you want to be robbed and possibly stabbed.

simple example: would you take a walk in the Favelas of Rio de Janeiro wearing a Rolex Submariner (list price around €8000, market price around €15.000 - so anyway a price lower than my guitar)?

I mean, being able to afford certain goods doesn't mean that you want to be robbed and possibly stabbed.
I would have thought someone with a 20k guitar would have it insured.

simple example: would you take a walk in the Favelas of Rio de Janeiro wearing a Rolex Submariner (list price around €8000, market price around €15.000 - so anyway a price lower than my guitar)?
My rolex is almost as old as my Santa Cruz Dread. The Cruz cost more. I've worn that watch across the US and Europe. My Cruz has flown with me from coast to coast for 20+ years.

Last edited:
How is the neighborhood where lessons are held? if the neighborhood is comparatively safe, simple observations and knowing where you are and where others are may be all that's required. If the neighborhood has a higher incidence of crime, a small pepper-spray on your keychain might calm fears of being mugged. I'd palm the pepper spray to and from the car, if you were really concerned. Insurance will recover lost funds in case the guitar were taken. I'd not suggest anything more than a non-lethal defensive deterrent, a phone and a set of car keys to skidaddle with, and the insurance.

I think you answered your original question right here. (and I happen to agree with you.)

I'll just throw out a piece of advice that my grandfather once told me when I was young and it has has stuck in my head throughout my life.
"The only way to truly succeed in life is to not put yourself in a position to fail."
Possibly the wisest thing I have ever been told....
If you are questioning it than there must be a good reason for it and the answer is already right in front of you.
Purchase another guitar to bring to your lessons. If it were me I would find a nice used PRS Core, CE24 or S2 guitar so it is something similar to your P.S. and this way God Forbid something does happen it wont completely break your heart or your bank account.
Just Sayin....

People will rob and/or kill you for your iPhone, doesn’t mean you wanna live life with a flip phone every time you leave the house.

My “best” guitar isn’t a PS, but to replace it… I’d have to go PS. Hasn’t, wouldn’t, shouldn’t stop me from playing TF outta it.

The only way a guitar becomes your “Number One” is if you play it all the time. Insure it, rub your junk on it, and/or carve your name into it, but play that sh!t.

If money isn’t an option why not add a really nice core model for the lessons rather than a sub par guitar? (not saying H.B. are sub par, I’m just going by the OP). Point being, the PS is special by its very nature and definition. It’s the proverbial sh!t! As good as it gets in our happy little PRS world. To go from the pinnacle to the; for lack of a better term lowest end; seems counter intuitive. But hey who am I to say…you do you.

At the end of the day it’s about being inspired by your instrument. Take the cost factor out and it’s purely about what inspires you to grab it every time you see or think about it. If it does that for you, a few battle scars won’t even matter. Plus, when you’ve played the very best of the best everything else is gonna be a bit of a let down…as with most things in life.

Back