[SOLVED] Any way to tell if my PRS has the new pickups & finish?

TritoneJP

I just purchased a DGT online. I'm super stoked as I've literally wanted one since they were released--it's one of my "holy grail" guitars. The store said this particular specimen does have the CAB finish (which I care about) and TCI pickups (which I don't care so much about; the original DGT pickups sound great to me).

The headstock year is '19 but the tag year is January '20. I'm wondering if there's any way to verify which "model year" features this has. For example, do the TCI pickups have "TCI" written on them anywhere?

UPDATE: I contacted PRS and got a prompt response from Shawn: This guitar was started in 2019 and completed in 2020. It has the Cab Nitro finish and TCI tuned pickups.

Last edited:
I just purchased a DGT online. I'm super stoked as I've literally wanted one since they were released--it's one of my "holy grail" guitars. The store said this particular specimen does have the CAB finish (which I care about) and TCI pickups (which I don't care so much about; the original DGT pickups sound great to me).

The headstock year is '19 but the tag year is January '20. I'm wondering if there's any way to verify which "model year" features this has. For example, do the TCI pickups have "TCI" written on them anywhere?
I think on the hang tag. It would say something like:

Pick Ups: DGT TCI

Not 100% about that, though. I have a 2019 (November completion) 594, that has the new finish and pick ups, etc. There is nothing but the normal p/u name on the covers (58/15LT). That's why I think it was on the tag. Case and candy are at the storage locker, so I can not confirm.

Thanks for the suggestion. There's no field for pickups on the hang tag. Just strings, date, model, serial #, neck, assembled by, final check, and special order. Unless there's another section of the hang tag that isn't in the photographs.

I've noticed that most of the guitars from very late in the year (November-ish) seem to have the new stuff. My guess is that if yours was made in December, it likely does. You might also be able to get that from the MODCAT, but one of the guys with a 2020 might have to chime in on that one.

I think on the hang tag. It would say something like:

Pick Ups: DGT TCI

Not 100% about that, though. I have a 2019 (November completion) 594, that has the new finish and pick ups, etc. There is nothing but the normal p/u name on the covers (58/15LT). That's why I think it was on the tag. Case and candy are at the storage locker, so I can not confirm.

Thought you might have snuck an “it still has the old tagger on it” quote in there;)

Thanks for the suggestion. There's no field for pickups on the hang tag. Just strings, date, model, serial #, neck, assembled by, final check, and special order. Unless there's another section of the hang tag that isn't in the photographs.
Yeah, I found that out. I went and looked at some listings on Reverb and saw that. The old hang tag had the pick up types on it.

Just an update: I contacted PRS via email and they were able to look it up in their records from the serial number. It does have the 2020 specs. Good customer service from PRS, and a happy ending for me.

Good to hear!

I was able to confirm that through the dealer for a recent purchase that it was a Nitro finish. It felt like Nitro and smelled like Nitro, but it gave me great comfort to get an explicit confirmation from PRS...

Good to hear!

I was able to confirm that through the dealer for a recent purchase that it was a Nitro finish. It felt like Nitro and smelled like Nitro, but it gave me great comfort to get an explicit confirmation from PRS...

That smell! Man, when I opened the case on the new 594 last week, that smell just hit me!

Back