Solid Color Finishes

tacomadriver

I know it's all just personal preferences but I'm wondering if anyone else prefers solid color finishes over bursts, flames and quilts? I enjoy and appreciate looking at interesting wood grain tops but each one I've owned has left for one reason or the other. Currently I have a black and an antique white PRS, a black and a goldtop Gibson and a vintage white Squier. I know the solid finishes don't allow guitar builders a chance to show their most creative skills. Just wondering if I'm alone here. (Wood grained amps and cabs are a different story.)

file.jpg

Ya know, now that I think about it, I really like the way white and black guitars look on a stage. And goldtops. There's something "right" about the look. I can't explain why I think that.

I won't buy a guitar if the top is too flamey or quilty or whatever. I like a nice woodgrain, plain tops, but the figuring is too much, too busy, too gaudy. I have a clear finished swamp ash guitar that is very attractive. I used to have a Vintage Mahogany Mira. I also had a Les Paul with a very nice honeyburst finish and some really interesting mineral streaks in the otherwise plain maple top. But my real faves are solid black and goldtops.

I won't buy a guitar if the top is too flamey or quilty or whatever. I like a nice woodgrain, plain tops, but the figuring is too much, too busy, too gaudy. I have a clear finished swamp ash guitar that is very attractive. I used to have a Vintage Mahogany Mira. I also had a Les Paul with a very nice honeyburst finish and some really interesting mineral streaks in the otherwise plain maple top. But my real faves are solid black and goldtops.

My sentiments exactly. I subscribe to the "different strokes for different folks" concept. The highly figured tops seem more like works of art than the solids. I'm hoping for the chance to see one of the Frost finishes but there seems to be a lack of close by dealers and I don't like wet, winter road trips.

I think it depends on the guitar. Some guitars look great in solid colors, some look great in transparent colors... some, it does not matter. :)

I used to have a lot of solid color guitars, but now I have mostly guitars that show the wood, either stained or un-stained.

If I include bass guitars, currently I have 3 Solid colored, 3 Natural (just clear finish), and 3 stained... I like the stained ones best for the moment, and its not just because they are my only PRS lol.

All 3 of my prs guitars show wood grain with my cu24 having a beautiful 10 top. I could stare at that 10 top for hours on end. My LP has a copper top and it looks good too. I insist that any prs I buy have a nice top with the only exception being if somebody was getting rid of a prs cheap, then I wouldnt be so picky. I just love a figured top and I drool all over the computer when looking at PS collection.

Back