Solderless Cable Kits?

sergiodeblanc

How do y’all feel about these?

I’m used to soldering my own cables because I’m cheap AF. However, my last attempt at making cables was a complete failure. I’m going blind, and everyone is constantly crawling up my @ss at home all day and evening, so even just finding the time and a safe place to let a soldering iron heat up is practically impossible.

Have any of you used those pedalboard cable kits? Any you recommend more than others?

Thanks!

The guys from that pedal show swear by the evidence audio screw in solderless kits
They’re a bit pricey though.

I’ve also had good luck with the disaster area solderless kits.

I’ve used the lava cable ones as well but find them to be a PITA

I just buy lots of different lengths of finished Hosa cables with the flat right angle connection.

I bought a set for a pedal board build a while back. About 50% of them worked when I was done. I found them really frustrating. The ones I had required twisting then bending and then standing on your head and turning yourself around. They may have been Lava but I don’t recall.
*Disclaimer: I have zero mechanical ability and can literally screw up light bulb installation.

How do y’all feel about these?

I’m used to soldering my own cables because I’m cheap AF. However, my last attempt at making cables was a complete failure. I’m going blind, and everyone is constantly crawling up my @ss at home all day and evening, so even just finding the time and a safe place to let a soldering iron heat up is practically impossible.

Have any of you used those pedalboard cable kits? Any you recommend more than others?

Thanks!

I have used George L's for years. They are easy to make, just check them with a cable tester right after you make them and you' re good to go. I had trouble with the newer Boss solder less cables that I tried a while back while expanding my pedal board, so I went back to George L's.

Last edited:
George L’s are on my board. Now, mind you, I got fed up with my inability to make a perfect termination every time with their solderless stuff and soldered their cable to other connectors...Neutrik being my fav. Do I preach saving time with solderless? Not a whole lot, but there are acceptable compromises, IMO.

George L's here. Occasionally I need to pull off a connector, snip a fraction of an inch off the cable, and put the connector back on. But not often. I like to use a wire cutter with a scissors action (rather than dikes) to get a nice square cut on the end of the cable.

I used George L’s for years, and while it didn’t bother me to use them, I did notice that after a while - even just sitting on my board in my studio and being moved around very little - the connections tended to need repair. Again, not a big deal, but still kind of a PITA. Still, cheap and cheerful to fix or replace.

Ultimately, I went to special-order soldered connections; recent ones I’ve bought have been the Evidence Audio pedalboard cables, only with soldered plugs instead of the screw-in ones (I get them from Sinasoid, who do a nice job).

If Evidence cables have a sound, it’s certainly as nice as the more expensive Van den Hul I’ve also been using, and as nice as the PRS/Van Damme patch cables I also used until I needed different configurations. Compared to the George L’s, I’d say the sound I get with the Evidence or Van den Hul interconnects might be just a touch rounder, with fuller low mids.

Being the lazy type, I just order the cable, plugs, length, plug orientation, etc., from the cable building page on the Sinasoid website. They have a new mini plug that’s as tiny as can be. It’s pretty nice, and of course they would come out with it after I already built my pedalboard! :rolleyes:

Also, to keep things organized, I ordered a couple of Van Damme cables in a different color with Neutrik plugs with colored end caps (red for output, while for input) to use with the pedalboard’s loop. So at teardown after a session, (sometimes I move my guitar stuff out of the way to accommodate other musicians) everything’s easy to identify.

However, if I was building my own cables again, I’d use the Evidence Audio with screw-in connections. The plugs create a very sturdy connection. There are times you get what you pay for, and it winds up being nickels and dimes in the long run when it comes to cables. In fact, I invested in good mic and interconnect cables for my studio gear in 1991. I still use them daily. I’ve never had one go bad. So that’s pretty good value.

Last edited:
I’ve kicked it around more for the compactness of the jacks to plug into my pedal switcher. Thus far I’ve chickened out because of the reliability factor and continue to solder. I have found some straight jacks that are about 1/2 the length of standard so that helps a little.

I've use and have used the Planet Waves kit for my boards, solid connection and have lasted for many years
OR
I can solder up some cables for you :) you know where I live.

I've used Lava Solderless cable kits. They sound insanely good, but are not easy to make. There are different types of cable shielding in their kits; I've only tried the braided, and it's an asspain to manage the various shielding layers to get a good plug fitting. There is a straight shielded version that may be easier to make. I'm almost to the point of ordering custom after reading Schef's post, talk about a walk in the park.

Lava and George L in the past. I seem to recall having issues with one brand, but can't remember which.

I've had similar experience to most everyone else so far. I have a Bill Lawrence cable kit. No longer available but they have the lowest resistance of any guitar cable I've seen.

If you don't have the time/patience/safety to solder cables, I don't think solderless is any better. You have to carefully slice them up with razor blades. Can't use wire clippers because they crush the cable.

I also notice they seem to have a high fault rate for no apparent reason. There's a gremlin in my board now, actually. The output cuts out just enough to make me go "What the..." and then it magically starts working again before I figure out which one it is.

I think I would rather have low resistance cable with soldered, flat, right-angle plugs.

Nothing replaces good old tin/lead solder in my book. It is an investment upfront but if you get a good iron, some flux, and tin/lead solder you will make a connection that can withstand an earthquake. I have been soldering for over 20 years and never had a failure.

Thanks guys!

Sh!t.... so it kinda sounds like I should just go back and have a second look at my cables, or buy some that are already made.

I can solder up some cables for you :) you know where I live.

You’re too kind, Mike! I’m kinda embarrassed though... it’s like asking my neighbor to mow my lawn for me because I’m too lazy to do it myself.

I have used the planet waves for several years now. I have them in to paddleboard’s but I transport quite of bit. They are rocksolid and fairly reasonable. The strongest case that I can make is I made a short wireless cable that goes from my guitar output to my wireless. This gets a lot of push and pull on a daily basis. I thought that I would have to remake this cable as time went on. It has been a number of years and I am still using the original table with no issues. I have never had a problem. Goodbye solder !

Back