Soldering Iron Recommendations?

DK1984

I have never soldered before, but I'm thinking about buying a really cheap squier to practice on. Iron and solder recommendations?

I'll have to learn how to break the solder connections also

I have never soldered before, but I'm thinking about buying a really cheap squier to practice on. Iron and solder recommendations?

I'll have to learn how to break the solder connections also

How much are you looking to spend? Pen, or station? You’ll want to get something to de-solder with as well. I have a desoldering iron as well and it was cheap and works great. But a simple bulb works well too.

I have a couple Weller’s and even when doing amps, I never needed anything bigger.

Another +1 for Weller.
I got a Weller soldering station as a gift from an electrical engineer friend. Looks a little bigger than the one Rider posted. Could be an older model. Can be as gentle or powerful as you want. Big difference from my old soldering iron.

I've been perfectly happy with my Solomon SL-30. The digital set and read control is priceless. I think I picked it up from Stewmac, they have a solder kit, I'm sure.

Highly recommend the Weller solder stations...especially the ones with ESD protection. After hundreds of hours of use, it’s the best purchase I’ve made in a long time.

+1 again on the Weller irons. I have different size tips for various wire or connection size but I probably use a 1/16” and 1/8” tip the most. YouTube should have a lot of videos you could watch on soldering. I also use a solder pump (solder sucker), a stay hot solder tip cleaner and kester rosin core solder in .031 or .040 size. You’ll need wire strippers, a small diagonal wire cutter and small needle nose pliers. Solder will spatter so make sure you cover your guitars finish, if you don’t have a work bench make sure you cover your kitchen table too and when soldering wearing shorts is not recommended.;)

I'd recommend an extra tip or two. I managed to oxidize one pretty badly when doing a pickup swap project recently (the solder won't melt with the tip oxidized).

Proper tip cleaning, yes. But just on case! Tips are cheap.

I use my Dads Heathkit stand iron for most things. It has 3 temperature levels and a decent iron in wood handle. I have a Radioshack pen type with a fine tip for circuit board work. I'm sure neither are available anymore.

I'd recommend an extra tip or two. I managed to oxidize one pretty badly when doing a pickup swap project recently (the solder won't melt with the tip oxidized).

Proper tip cleaning, yes. But just on case! Tips are cheap.

It takes me quite a few connections to go through a tip but they do wear out. When I was learning, what I was told not to do was leave the heated iron in the cradle without first putting solder on the tip to protect it from oxidizing and if it did then use a little acid core solder or soldering paste for copper plumbing to clean the oxide off. (If you do this often it will shorten the life of the tip). Using the stay hot solder tip cleaner vs a wet sponge to wipe the tips seems to make the tips oxidize less and last longer too.

I have the Hakko FX-888D, which is a great.

One of the best soldering iron stations in my home. ESD protection is critical because a guitarist's tinkering is not limited to control cavities in a guitar, but also pedals, and electronics inside a guitar (namely one with midi, like the Casio). Recommend getting a kit with 6 different tips, as well as solder wick in various widths, and even an ESD strap when you work on actual electronic gear, like amps and midi processors.

Back