Soapbar II construction.

Al Walker

Will be receiving an SE Soapbar II in a couple days. The one I tried yesterday was really light. I've seen it said that PRS SEs are Mahogany and Maple, But, I don't think these are. What is the construction of an SE soapbarII? Thanks
Al

Likely just less dense wood. I have 2 identical models, 1 a feather weight & the other a heavyweight. Not overly familiar with the model, but the wood types should be out there.

Thanks. I believe the SE Soapbar II is probably a bottom of the line model. And I believe it is discontinued. I tried searching the interweb about it but got nothing.

SE Soapbar 2 is an all mahogany body and neck guitar. They are tone monsters and I loved mine but not as much as my SE 245 Soapbar...I am a single cut guy.

All mahogany. The II has a maple veneer though.

Seriously killer guitars... I swear a little whenever I see one for sale. I love mine, if I didn’t have a pile of guitars I’d get another. Can’t say enough nice things about them.

The Soapy 2 was actually the winner of some guitar award of the year back in 2009 I believe. Monster tone and great play-ability. You did well!

When I played the messed up one the neck pickup was really snotty (in a good way). Cant wait to get the other one.

When I played the messed up one the neck pickup was really snotty (in a good way). Cant wait to get the other one.
Yeah, P90's are kind of rude when you open them up. They also tame well when you pull on the reigns.

Oh, I know P90s. I have three other P90 guitars now, Actually 3 1/2. Slowly fazing out humbuckers. I have 2 humbucker guitars left. both project guitars and both listed in the usual places. Like I said, I like slab bodied guitars with P90s.

All mahogany. The II has a maple veneer though.

Seriously killer guitars... I swear a little whenever I see one for sale. I love mine, if I didn’t have a pile of guitars I’d get another. Can’t say enough nice things about them.

Only some of the II's had the veneer. Originally they were straight up mahogany with rosewood fretboard, but then they added the Soapbar II Maple, or some similar name, with the veneer.

They did tend to be light, between the (presumably) Asian or African mahogany and the thin body. The one I had was like six pounds with a baseball bat of a neck.

Last edited:
I have a ce22 that outweighs my Mccarty by a half pound. Very noticeable. Mccarty has thicker body and wide fat neck.

Back