So You Think You're A Real Musician Eh??? What Qualifies?

Rockmark

I often wondered if I am. I know I'm not professional since I don't play for cash. However I do know you can stick me in the mix in most cases and I hold my own w most of the local pros. So does one need formal musical training. Do you need to have been in groups/bands. Years on the road playing for audiences. Or just a home player w some friends for fun once in a while. What if one is just shitty and keeps playing for the enjoyment or love of it. Is he a musician. Or one with no training but a great ability to feel the music and just hang by ear. Where do you fit and what do you feel qualifies someone to be called a musician/artist? o_O

You play one little ditty for someone other than yourself, and they smile, BINGO-you're a musician.

And truthfully, it really doesn't get any better than that.

tenor.gif

Although, truthfully, you don’t even need the other person.

Hmmm...
I call myself a "player", and sometimes I even wonder about that.
Musician? I dunno.
I play in a band, and I'm comfy with that rhythm role. I think I pull that off fairly well, and we are pretty dang tight... mostly:rolleyes:
I suck at playing lead, and I suck at improv.
I understand written time (played percussion in school), but the notes elude me.
Player... yeah that's right...
Am I having a pile of fun doing it? Boo yeah!!!

Here’s what The Oxford Dictionary says:

“A person who plays a musical instrument, especially as a profession, or is musically talented.”

So if you’re a person who plays a musical instrument, you’re in by definition. You don’t have to be professional. Talent is an optional “or” deal.

The dictionary doesn’t lie; that’s what the word means.

Audiences, money, and talent aren’t required. The definition doesn’t say you have to be any good, or even practice!

I write/play music as a profession, so I’m in, too. Welcome to my world. It’s as easy to call yourself a musician as it is to call yourself a bum, though true bumhood might take more effort. Fortunately, most professional guitar players qualify as both musicians and bums. ;)

Last edited:
When I was in college, a woman told me, “You can always tell a gentleman by his shoes.”

The corollary to that is, “You can always tell a bum by his guitar case.”

Interesting question. I was a trumpet player in HS and there is a long line of musicians on my dad's side of the family.

I don't have any formal education in music but I have the burning desire to play and I do have the "gift" and my son has it too.

There are times that I wish college would have worked out for me but that's water under the bridge. I push my son to be the best he can be with his music endeavors so maybe he will have opportunities that I didn't.

Am I a musician? Hell Yes I am. I've played as a weekend warrior and I've played for a living. I've eaten cheethos with a fork to make it feel like a meal. I've purchased cool gear with money that my day job provides me.

I've got what seems like thousands of songs that I can pull off from years of working up material. I can hear a song and figure it out without even picking a note.

I'm 53 now and have been involved in music since 5th grade. Do others think of me as a musician?? No clue. Do I really care?? Not so much.

I am a musician but if I'm not by somebody else's standards then so be it.

The homeless guy I watched busking in Nashville one year proved that regardless of what I achieve in my life as a “musician”, I’ll never be as talented as him. By most definitions I’m a wanna-be hack, and I’m ok with it. Some of our audiences may not be ok with it, but that’s what chicken wire is for.

Back