So yesterday... opened them up!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
I think all these great amps like PRS, Mesa, etc are best when played above practice volume. The first band I was in we always practiced at gig volume. I know my parents just loved it.

The first band I was in we always practiced at gig volume. I know my parents just loved it.

I love this.

One day when I was a high school kid (this was in the Cretaceous Period), my band was practicing at our house, and toward the end of our 27th stab at “House of the Rising Sun” my father stormed into the basement and yelled at the top of his lungs, “Enough already! You are driving me INSANE with this noise!”

He looked like his eyeballs were going to pop out of his head, like a guy who’s spent way too much time at the asylum.

I never understood that feeling until my son’s band practiced at my house when he was in high school. But my son was no doubt paying me back for many years of listening to me play loud amps, and having nothing to say about it. ;)

I love this.

One day when I was a high school kid (this was in the Cretaceous Period), my band was practicing at our house, and toward the end of our 27th stab at “House of the Rising Sun” my father stormed into the basement and yelled at the top of his lungs, “Enough already! You are driving me INSANE with this noise!”

He looked like his eyeballs were going to pop out of his head, like a guy who’s spent way too much time at the asylum.

I never understood that feeling until my son’s band practiced at my house when he was in high school. But my son was no doubt paying me back for many years of listening to me play loud amps, and having nothing to say about it. ;)
I cut out that problem.

My first gigging band was an 8 piece jazz thing, that my Dad played guitar in and Mum was on Baritone sax.

Admittedly I was on trumpet and a little vocals. Found a liking for the vocal phrasing of Mel Torme. Unusual for a 17 year old lad (all those years ago!)

So practice volume wasn’t an issue.

If I’d played jazz, my father might still be alive today, though he’d be 101.

I’m pretty sure my brothers and I stressed him out so much we shortened his life!

Today I finally got a chance to play around with the Mesa 5 50. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. The most fun I've had with the amp since I've owned it! Beginning to understand how volume/gain affect tone. Just messed around on the 5 watt setting but the crunch channel just sang. 45 years of playing and I think I am starting to understand.

Today I finally got a chance to play around with the Mesa 5 50. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. The most fun I've had with the amp since I've owned it! Beginning to understand how volume/gain affect tone. Just messed around on the 5 watt setting but the crunch channel just sang. 45 years of playing and I think I am starting to understand.
Much like yourself I’ve discovered sounds on my Mesa 22, thanks to the wealth of knowledge and generosity of the guys on here to care enough to share it.

Back