So yesterday... opened them up!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
I have double pane windows, but the music room is on the corner of the house so it has two large windows facing the front and side. I know from going outside with my stereo on that the guitars could be easily heard at least a few houses away.

Two houses down the street, there are a couple retired school teachers. When their son was growing up, he played drums. Every time they'd leave, including for 2-3 months at a time going to Florida after they retired, he'd be down there playing and you could hear it clearly from 4-5 houses away.

I'm sure none of this was as audible though, as when I was in college. Some of my buddies would be playing flag football right next to our dorm, and if I started playing they'd send someone up to my room (2nd floor) to set my Twin Reverb on my desk, facing out the window. Then they'd yell out requests. One of my fellow basketball players had the hots for a couple girls and every time they'd walk by while I was playing, he'd have me play "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" and he would sing it to them as they went by.

For those who were wondering... Winger wasn't a thing yet at that time. :p

I don't want my wife hearing me actually "practicing" or learning a hard riff. Hearing multiple attempts to learn your way through a really hard solo, at high volume... nah. LOL I do the real ripping (what is ripping for me) at lower volumes so others aren't punished too much while I learn.

The solution, of course, is to avoid learning any new songs. If you play the same stuff over and over for, say, 45 years, eventually your wife either gets used to it, goes mad, and/or shoots you (thereby obviating the need to learn anything new permanently).

The wisdom... the knowledge... I'm just wondering, why didn't I think of this?

The answers are obvious. I'm "getting" old, but I still want to run like a young buck. Some day, I'll learn... (I am pretty hardheaded though)

Actually, the reason I don’t learn any new songs is that I write my own. That way no one can tell me, “You’re playing that wrong.” :)

“Is that note supposed to be an Eb?”

“Yes.”

“Sounds terrible.”

“Dissonance is my thing.”

“Oh. Well, you wrote it, so I guess you know.”

Actually, the reason I don’t learn any new songs is that I write my own. That way no one can tell me, “You’re playing that wrong.” :)
I mostly play my own thing. I don’t get a “wrong”, but sometimes I see a sour lemon face, or someone walks to a different floor.
I do get a decent number of “that was nice” - frequently with random experiments that I wasn’t paying close enough attention to to remember.

I do get a decent number of “that was nice” - frequently with random experiments that I wasn’t paying close enough attention to to remember.

When you do something good, just record it on something as simple as an iPhone. Then you save the idea, and can return to it for further development (there’s always further development, right?). ;)

What advice do you have for those of us who don’t ever really do anything good?

When you do something good, just record it on something as simple as an iPhone. Then you save the idea, and can return to it for further development (there’s always further development, right?). ;)
I probably really should just record everything, just in case something is accidentally good. I have a stand set up for a iPad and a GoPro, I just don’t turn them on often enough.

Just skip over good and go right to awesome!

I tried. Not as easy as it sounds. I mean come on, it's easy for some of you. With your name, you had no choice. I told my parents they should have named me Jimi...

“Is that note supposed to be an Eb?”

“Yes.”

“Sounds terrible.”

“Dissonance is my thing.”

“Oh. Well, you wrote it, so I guess you know.”
Weirdly, this is truer than some might think.

I put down a lead track for one of the band's new songs on the weekend. After a couple of meandering duds, I got it pretty well how I liked it (I improvise the whole way, I rarely plan out a lead break beyond the first few notes, and maybe the finale). Except I messed up one note, can't remember exactly how, but something like hitting a G# note instead of the A while playing in D. I figured I'd just go in and patch in a new phrase over top, but upon listening in the mix, it just sounds right.

This! Whenever I come up with a new snippet, lick, whatever, I get out my phone and do a quick recording. And once I get a song mostly written, I do it again. Which helped me recently - I dug up a song I had written over a year ago, now being considered as a candidate for our new CD, but could not for the life of me remember speed, syncopation, melody, or "feel". All I had were the chords, the words, a rough rhythm. I dug out my old phone recording, played it, and voila! There it is!

My college mates named me. I hereby dub thee Jimi.

Dilly Dilly! :D

My college dorm mates nicknamed me "Van Howie" My freshman year of college was the fall of 79, so needless to say, Eddie was taking the world by storm at the time, and I was into them big time.

My recent journey with the DG 30 is making me reevaluate my previous thoughts of the few PRS amps I've played through. Any time I passed judgement on one the amp was set to reasonable volume levels and without the context of playing with a band... otherwise known as... the only f@cking thing you're supposed to do with an amp. :oops:

I know what you mean. The problem being, I can't turn them up "that" loud much. With the Archon, it doesn't matter. It sounds great at all volumes. The Custom 50 needs to be opened up though to sound really great. I can make it sound good at lower volumes, but it's just not the same. I've considered this for years now... but it might be time for a Power Station.

Back