So why do I even bother checking tuning?

matonanjin

For reasons I won't go into I haven't been able to pick up a guitar since before Thanksgiving. I finally did on Tuesday. Picked up my Paul's and, of course, like every good boy should, hit the tuning button on my POD HD500X. The guitar has not been picked up in 6? weeks and the tuning was perfect! To be completely honest, maybe one string, maybe the B string, needed tweaked ever so slightly. I could have just left it.

Has anyone ever mentioned on this forum that these guitars, specifically the build quality, are amazing?

Yeah, I'll continue tuning every time before playing. Because it's drilled into us we should. But why?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mine are both 15+ years old. A great build, and the fact that the woods in those are pretty well settled as they are going to be make them pretty stable. And mine are stop bar tail pieces as well. Not much to move around and throw them out.

...The guitar has not been picked up in 6? weeks...
All my eyes saw was this and I stopped listening/reading. o_O Unless there was an arm amputation or something similar, 6 weeks??!! If there was a guitar equivalent to Department of Child Services I’d drop a dime on your a$$. :mad:

I’m kidding!!! :D Welcome to the complete PRS experience, bud. The next test of your abilities is to see if you can play that guitar hard enough to knock it out of tune. Go ahead, the challenge is on now. ;)

Very stable yes PRS are.
-Yoda

I had a Guild X-150 Savoy hollowbody archtop a few years ago that went out of tune every time a customer opened the door and let in a draft, at this dinner-jazz gig we had on Fri nites a few years ago.

Sported a huge neck on my partsotele for a while. Very rarely needed touching up on tunage.

I rarely need to tune at home except with significant weather change. Always need to tune at gigs. For some reason I always wind up on the cold end of the stage.

Very stable yes PRS are.
-Yoda

I had a Guild X-150 Savoy hollowbody archtop a few years ago that went out of tune every time a customer opened the door and let in a draft, at this dinner-jazz gig we had on Fri nites a few years ago.

Sported a huge neck on my partsotele for a while. Very rarely needed touching up on tunage.

YODA. LOL :D:D:D:D

And I didn't mention a couple days later I picked up my Gibson 325. I, of course, again, checked the tuning. It was way off. So much so it didn't even show up on the meter.

All my guitars stay in tune pretty well but I don't buy crap and I take good care of them. They'll be a few cents flat if they haven't been played in a few weeks but it's pretty consistent across all four guitars. Two acoustics, two electrics and one of those is a Gibson :)

I'm sure there must have been a major reason not to play for six weeks. Personally I would be suffering withdrawal symptoms. As for the tuning, I find my SE Santana very stable until the winter arrives. The constant adjustments to the humidistat (whole house) to keep moisture levels up without building moisture on the windows make it a challenge for the instrument to stay in tune.
Having said that, the tuning requires very little adjustment. It also helps to have good strings and some nut sauce.

The only other guitar besides my PRS'S that holds its tuning is the Martin D28. I'm not a big acoustic player so I may play it once a month and it requires very little adjustment if any.

Not to be a sour puss, but I’d be ticked that they shipped it under tension. But after seeing it, I’d get over it. :D

PRS ships all new guitars under tension, I believe, with no ill-effects.

My PRSes stay in tune very well, but the one that needs by far the least tuning is the Tonare Grand acoustic PS with the graphite rods in the neck. It’s rarely more than a cent or two off. The electrics do fine, but I do have to tune them each time I play.

I’ve had two PRS acoustics with graphite strength rods. It’s a small sample size, but I’ve never experienced tuning stability like that before except with my ‘90s Modulus bass with graphite neck. If I ordered another PS, I’d get one with graphite rods in the neck.

Last edited:
Back