So who bought a super eagle I or II and how is it?

Hmmmmm.

i-8dDNfPc-L.jpg

I don’t think the Super Eagle will gain value over time because there’s an approximately 1cm wide Signature of John Mayer on the sticker (BTW: The official name is “Private Stock Super Eagle” - nothing about John Mayer here).

Another thing to keep in mind - this really was never meant to be a Mayer sig (hopefully that S-type prototype he's been playing will be something awesome). While it is extremely flexible and undoubtedly could handle any kind of music - it was really a project betweeen John, Paul and the Private Stock team to get as close to Jerry Garcia's sound as possible.

I'm no serious Dead Head - but I like and appreciate their music and Jerry's playing. Jerry's guitars were very different and complicated (on board fx loop, etc...) and once he moved away from S-style guitars to custom builds, they were actually 25" scale length. The classic Jerry tone is mainly achieved with a split humbucker in the middle - hence the NF pup in the middle - really a brilliant way to use cool PRS innovation to cop that tone. Moreover, I believe the active EQ was used for Jerry's signature Mutron effect - something about driving that effect needs a boost or compressor. And maybe having that EQ option helps that trebly, clean "Jerry tone" cut through the mix at a finely tuned frequency that avoids ice-pickiness? (Garcia turned his bass to 0 on his F amps, and used the mid knob to control the low end!)

I saw the first Dead & Co. tour and that's how John used the Eagle - staying on the middle pup, etc.. and it didn't sound like John Mayer's typical tone at all. He switched occasionally to what looked like a Collection McCarty when he did venture into songs using his more signature blues licks. And I could be wrong, but I don't think he uses the Eagle as a solo artist live?

Anyways - I thought the video for the Super Eagle II was interesting as Paul talks directly about it being all about the challenges and ideas in making a guitar to capture Garcia's tone:

I think the launch of the first one was maybe a little misleading (totally makes sense for PR and I'm all for the help JM has already done for the brand) as far as being a fully-realized JM sig and the newer video is a fairer assessment of what they were going for. So I wouldn't necessarily think of this as a JM sig guitar going into the future IMHO. But who knows, maybe he ends up using it more down the road and it is really associated with him - but as others have said, you gotta buy a guitar that moves you creatively, not solely as an investment.

Believe me, if I had the coin, I'd love one - it's an incredibly versatile guitar and sounds beautiful, esp hearing it first-hand through John's Dumble and PRS amp (prototype of the J-MOD?) when I saw Dead & Co. last summer.

And while I'm randomly pontificating - I think it would be cool if they made a Core model with that pup configuration: H - NF - H. Maybe as a relaunched "Studio" or maybe some 24 fret monster - kind of PRS' version of JEM-style super-S guitars.

SSL folks!

Last edited:
Getting to know each other... still trying to get past that "hesitant to play it cause I don't want to break it" stage. I take care of my gear but that stage usually passes pretty quickly for me. So far it's pretty amazing. More to follow.

Here are a few pics from the dealer before it was shipped to me:

i-3tTSpjz-X2.jpg

i-Wv3mhWs-X2.jpg

i-Wx89M8w-X2.jpg

Getting to know each other... still trying to get past that "hesitant to play it cause I don't want to break it" stage. I take care of my gear but that stage usually passes pretty quickly for me. So far it's pretty amazing. More to follow.

Here are a few pics from the dealer before it was shipped to me:

i-3tTSpjz-X2.jpg

i-Wv3mhWs-X2.jpg

i-Wx89M8w-X2.jpg

Outstanding!

still trying to get past that "hesitant to play it cause I don't want to break it" stage.
Just experienced another stage of this. My GF is afraid sitting next to my guitar on the sofa because "it could fall on the floor". I had to put it away so she isn't nervous any more :rolleyes:

And I could be wrong, but I don't think he uses the Eagle as a solo artist live?

He used it exactly one time the other night, and it was the least memorable tone of the electrics for my tastes. I will say that the PRS prototype guitar he played sounded downright impressive. That guitar is on my watch list.

New guitars are not good investments,unless you have a LOT of MONEY that you won't need for a LONG time❗️There's no guarantee that any model will go up in value in the future...they're made to be Played,NOT make MONEY ‼️

Another thing to keep in mind - this really was never meant to be a Mayer sig (hopefully that S-type prototype he's been playing will be something awesome). While it is extremely flexible and undoubtedly could handle any kind of music - it was really a project betweeen John, Paul and the Private Stock team to get as close to Jerry Garcia's sound as possible.

I'm no serious Dead Head - but I like and appreciate their music and Jerry's playing. Jerry's guitars were very different and complicated (on board fx loop, etc...) and once he moved away from S-style guitars to custom builds, they were actually 25" scale length. The classic Jerry tone is mainly achieved with a split humbucker in the middle - hence the NF pup in the middle - really a brilliant way to use cool PRS innovation to cop that tone. Moreover, I believe the active EQ was used for Jerry's signature Mutron effect - something about driving that effect needs a boost or compressor. And maybe having that EQ option helps that trebly, clean "Jerry tone" cut through the mix at a finely tuned frequency that avoids ice-pickiness? (Garcia turned his bass to 0 on his F amps, and used the mid knob to control the low end!)

I saw the first Dead & Co. tour and that's how John used the Eagle - staying on the middle pup, etc.. and it didn't sound like John Mayer's typical tone at all. He switched occasionally to what looked like a Collection McCarty when he did venture into songs using his more signature blues licks. And I could be wrong, but I don't think he uses the Eagle as a solo artist live?

Anyways - I thought the video for the Super Eagle II was interesting as Paul talks directly about it being all about the challenges and ideas in making a guitar to capture Garcia's tone:

I think the launch of the first one was maybe a little misleading (totally makes sense for PR and I'm all for the help JM has already done for the brand) as far as being a fully-realized JM sig and the newer video is a fairer assessment of what they were going for. So I wouldn't necessarily think of this as a JM sig guitar going into the future IMHO. But who knows, maybe he ends up using it more down the road and it is really associated with him - but as others have said, you gotta buy a guitar that moves you creatively, not solely as an investment.

Believe me, if I had the coin, I'd love one - it's an incredibly versatile guitar and sounds beautiful, esp hearing it first-hand through John's Dumble and PRS amp (prototype of the J-MOD?) when I saw Dead & Co. last summer.

And while I'm randomly pontificating - I think it would be cool if they made a Core model with that pup configuration: H - NF - H. Maybe as a relaunched "Studio" or maybe some 24 fret monster - kind of PRS' version of JEM-style super-S guitars.

SSL folks!
Every description i have seen of guitars like Tiger, etc, describe a 25.5" scale, not 25". What is your source for saying that his custom guitars were 25"?

Back