So, which way would you go?

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

Chiliphil1

I recently purchased a 2015 Les Paul standard. I really like the guitar but I am not happy with the sound of it. It's too boomy sounding and too weak sounding. The pickups are extremely low output and I can't get very much distortion from it. It's hard to word it but in general I am just not happy. Most people tell me "just swap the pickups" but with Gibson's circuit board and quick connect pickups it makes it a little tougher to just swap them in there. I'm also concerned that a simple pickup swap isn't going to help me out, I have been down that road and lost a lot of money and time for poor results in the end so I think I have decided to let the guitar go.

Now, here's where I am at. I have an offer for a 408 10 top and another offer for a sc250 10 top or an sc245 plain black.. I'm really not sure which way I want to go. I have 2 ESP guitars which I love the sound of, they are very clear and pronounced in their sound, the notes jump out and there is no mud they also have I nice aggressive sound which I love. The guitars just kick the Marshall amps right in the face with brilliant results!

So, I am asking you my trusted PRS brethren, which way would you go? 408, sc250, sc245, keep the LP, or something else? Help me out here:)

BTW this would be my first core model, I've had 2 SE cu24's and 1 s2 cu24 but never a real one.. Got rid of those for various reasons.

There are few ways you could go. Some questions for you: what are the ESP models you like? What kind of pickups do they have and what kind of music are you playing?

There are few ways you could go. Some questions for you: what are the ESP models you like? What kind of pickups do they have and what kind of music are you playing?

I have an eclipse original series and an m2 standard series, both with EMG's. I'm looking for something with passives for a different sound but just not so dark sounding. I play hard rock, not really metal but somewhere between Alice in chains and Metallica black album era.

Should have mentioned on the first post that the 408 has a non lacquered neck and a stamped serial number. The guy told me that it's an artist pack but it doesn't say "made for us only" on the back.. So, not sure there.

I voted SC250, half in an inch in scale length can make quite a difference. The bottom end will get tightened up and the high end will get a bit more snappy and prominent IME. That being said sometimes boominess is the amp/speakers and not the guitar,

I have an eclipse original series and an m2 standard series, both with EMG's. I'm looking for something with passives for a different sound but just not so dark sounding. I play hard rock, not really metal but somewhere between Alice in chains and Metallica black album era.

Should have mentioned on the first post that the 408 has a non lacquered neck and a stamped serial number. The guy told me that it's an artist pack but it doesn't say "made for us only" on the back.. So, not sure there.

You saying non finished neck and stamped serial screams rosewood neck. I love mine. That unfinished feel is the best, imo. Some people don't think you can do metal on a 408, but I totally disagree with that. I wouldn't get rid of mine.

You saying non finished neck and stamped serial screams rosewood neck. I love mine. That unfinished feel is the best, imo. Some people don't think you can do metal on a 408, but I totally disagree with that. I wouldn't get rid of mine.

Yes, rosewood.. Left out that important bit.

I don't know the 408 enough, but I love PRS SingleCuts... So either SC245 or SC250. And right now, personally I'd go for the SC250 ;)

What year is the SC245? Models by that name differ greatly between '2010 and earlier' and '2013 and later.'

I'd also add this; I've had a few Gibsons over the years, and they haven't lasted long. I wanted love one, but I just couldn't. I'm not saying they're bad, but i would have to look long and hard to find a keeper. I can't say the same thing about any PRS I've owned. I've moved a few over the years, but it's always been a case of financial need, not dissatisfaction. Now that I'm in a good spot financially, I don't see any of my PRSs going anywhere. Unless it's for an upgrade!

Last edited:
+1 for the 408...if you like clarity and aggression, I think you will find it to have more output and a more "modern" sound than the SCs.

I especially like the wider 408 bridge pickup for medium to high gain stuff.

Some people don't think you can do metal on a 408???

33718075.jpg

Yes, rosewood.. Left out that important bit.

Rosewood necked 408 = supreme goodness. As Huggy said, extremely versatile. Mine has covered everything I've thrown at it. But really, *you* make the sound - you can get the guitar to do whatever you want if you work at it enough. Witness Emil Werstler playing metal on an HB.

I can't comment too much on the SCs. I have a Tremonti and SC245, but the 245 has the early 57/08s. It's very vintage-y. The Tremonti is much more modern sounding, but it is not weight-relieved. That adds a bit of thump to the sound.

I'm in the 408 camp because those pickups are capable of any kind of sound and they don't drop in volume in single coil mode as you have no doubt noticed on your SE's and S2. And as Carl mentioned, the bridge can give you some great gain for your style of music.

Also, unless it has Brazilian rosewood somewhere on it, it won't be stamped "Custom built for USA only". That's for protection under Cites regulations which prohibit exporting from USA to other countries. My Paul's does have that on it since the fret board is Brazilian rosewood. The neck is Indian rosewood (unfinished) but that doesn't fall under that restriction.

Since it's an Artist grade, it's gotta be gorgeous! Love to see that show up as your NGD.

Good luck with your decision!

Some people don't think you can do metal on a 408???

33718075.jpg

Rosewood necked 408 = supreme goodness. As Huggy said, extremely versatile. Mine has covered everything I've thrown at it. But really, *you* make the sound - you can get the guitar to do whatever you want if you work at it enough. Witness Emil Werstler playing metal on an HB.

I can't comment too much on the SCs. I have a Tremonti and SC245, but the 245 has the early 57/08s. It's very vintage-y. The Tremonti is much more modern sounding, but it is not weight-relieved. That adds a bit of thump to the sound.

Clearly, "they" are idiots!

I can't chime in for the 408 but I just purchased the S2 25" SC simply because PRS is not offering the 250 anymore... why oh why!!!! :D

I am loving the versatility of these #7 pups, I can get them as hot as I need with the increased gain but they clean up wonderfully for strumming or anything more vintage in nature. The dual coil tap is incredibly versatile and I have yet to find a tone I can't get (except the hard hitting quack of a good Tele). I went through 2 Tremonti's and a Vela and finally settled on this one. It wasn't as spec'd out as a core model and I can only imagine how good the original 250 SC sounds with the American #7's.

The 25" scale is perfect for my medium square hands, I can finally play "Every Breath You Take" :D. the 245 has always been too cramped for me (At least in Gretsch and other brands).

Edit: I'm also a LP convert. I had the same problem with my Custom. Too much bottom end and the Burstbucker pro's while excellent, didn't give me what I needed. The 250 can almost get me full coverage from Strat to LP.

However the #7's might not be hot enough for you.

big~C

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I'm still talking with the guy, he's all for it but I'm still on the fence.. The 408 is the one I was leaning more toward, it's sunning in blood orange, absolutely beautiful! He's sending me sound clips and they sound really good, nice and aggressive sounding.. I'm so far on the fence it isn't even funny. I love everything about the LP except for the sound! I'm looking at pickups but I'm sitting here going, do I really want to put MORE money into a $4k guitar??

I think I'll meet with him and take a look at it, I just wish we could meet somewhere and I could hear it through an amp but apparently that's not gonna work because there is a good bit of distance between us.

I love everything about the LP except for the sound!

I don't think PRS sound is better (nor Les Paul), I just think both have their own personality. If you don't like the Les Paul tone, it's OK to move away. However, there's something where PRS is far superior than the Les Paul: ergonomy. PRS is much more comfortable to play.

Back