So what other ways do you express yourself creatively?

Cocktailing. I have an EXTREMELY well stocked and set up bar, and like to try something new every night. Kind of like cooking but there's no pots and pans to scrub.

Anything promising gets worked on and written down.

San Francisco has been in the grips of signature cocktail fever for years now, and any place with a liquor license feels the need to have it's own signature cocktails, the bulk of which tend to be forgettable. But there are some bartenders that are truly geniuses, and although a complete amateur, I aspire to make delicious things.

The irony is that as I've gotten older I've become a complete lightweight as far as drinking. I rarely have a second and almost never a third. So that first one better be damn good.

Thanks Rick! Unfortunately I can't eat that much bread, but maaaan do I love it! Since I cut most of it out I've dropped around 25lbs and my A1C isn't on the verge of making me go into a diabetic coma. I really miss that more than anything!
Yep, cutting down on splurges at the table, along with a bit over a million meters on the Concept2 rower, really helped me get to a better place health-wise. I try to think of it as making the times I do bake more enjoyable. But, honestly, I would enjoy it every day, twice a day, if I could get by with it! It is, indeed, unfortunate that my older self can’t eat like my younger self!

Cool! Nature photography is something I would love to get into. My guitar addiction seems to always get in the way of buying a really good camera/gear. Still definitely something I want to do eventually.

Oh, it is sooooo worth it! Camera gear is expensive when you get into the better stuff, but there's plenty of good gear to get started with that is reasonably priced :>

Bird Photography. Wish I could figure out how to post here. I've got some whoppers :>

I had an art professor who told me "Perfection is a dead end. Always practice excellence". Nice to see your byline.

Looking forward to seeing your photos posted. I just love the sound of a Blue Jay's call echoing in the woods.

.... I've got some whoppers :>
TWSS :p

Cocktail .... and like to try something new every night........
I rarely have a second and almost never a third
TWSS x 3 :p

.... along with a bit over a million meters...... But, honestly, I would enjoy it every day, twice a day, if I could get by with it! It is, indeed, unfortunate that my older self can’t eat like my younger self!
OMG this is a TWSS festival right there! :p:D:p

..... is something I would love to get into. Still definitely something I want to do eventually.

Oh, it is sooooo worth it!....

..... . Always practice excellence". Nice to see your byline.
TWSS? :p

OK, it's Friday but I'm done for now :oops:

Oh, it is sooooo worth it! Camera gear is expensive when you get into the better stuff, but there's plenty of good gear to get started with that is reasonably priced :>
Maybe this will interest you, maybe not. Years ago I met Kate Breakey, an Australian artist who was photographing small dead creatures and flowers, then blowing them up and hand coloring them. She lives here in Tucson. This is one of several pieces of hers that we own:

ob8flUi.jpg

and if you are interested this is her site http://www.katebreakey.com/small-deaths-birds-flowers-1

I prefer my flowers and birds alive but found she brought an interesting approach. Read the statement at the bottom of the page.

Cocktailing. I have an EXTREMELY well stocked and set up bar, and like to try something new every night. Kind of like cooking but there's no pots and pans to scrub.

San Francisco has been in the grips of signature cocktail fever for years now, and any place with a liquor license feels the need to have it's own signature cocktails, the bulk of which tend to be forgettable. But there are some bartenders that are truly geniuses, and although a complete amateur, I aspire to make delicious things.

The irony is that as I've gotten older I've become a complete lightweight as far as drinking. I rarely have a second and almost never a third. So that first one better be damn good.
If you have some favorite bartenders I'd like to know. My sons live up there and I'm hoping to get up to see my grandson in the next six months.

I had an art professor who told me "Perfection is a dead end. Always practice excellence". Nice to see your byline.

Looking forward to seeing your photos posted. I just love the sound of a Blue Jay's call echoing in the woods.

Me too! I have a special place for hawks, my dad had a thing for them and as crazy as it sounds, I've had them randomly show up at special times and places my dad and I shared.

Kinda what originally got me into PRS before I even knew the first thing about guitars.

Me too! I have a special place for hawks, my dad had a thing for them and as crazy as it sounds, I've had them randomly show up at special times and places my dad and I shared.

Kinda what originally got me into PRS before I even knew the first thing about guitars.
We have a family of Cooper's Hawks that have lived around our house for about eight years now. They think of it as their property and I oblige them as they help with the rodent and white winged dove population. They all love our bird baths and will wash up then sit in them during all but the coldest weather.

I haven't done it much since starting college, but I'm into comics and like to draw. I'm not super great at coming up with my own stuff, so I mainly try to improve by copying my favorite artists. Wish I had the time to do it more, but I don't regret focusing on music full-time.

First off, I have to say how much I've enjoyed all the good folks on this forum in the brief time I've been here. Maybe "PRS people" are a different breed. Glad to be a part of it.

To the subject at hand, I dabble in the art world, Watercolor pencils, brush markers and on occasion acrylic paints. It all came about when I least expected it about a year ago when I was rediscovering the music of the Cars. Always liked them, moved onto other things then I really got into them again. One day I was looking at some video's on YouTube when I saw some where Ric Ocasek was showing his art at Wentworth Are Galleries. I had no idea he was also an artist so I checked out his offerings and was blown away with what I saw. Mind you, I know nothing about the art world but his art amazed me. Totally abstract, unusual, unpredictable and very colorful. I've seen abstract art before but nothing of this caliber. I thought "now that looks like fun!!" Went to my local Hobby Lobby, bought some supplies, started to experiment (not knowing what I was doing) and got hooked.

i love kicking back on the couch in the evenings and just seeing what I can come up with. I seemed to have gravitated towards little abstract drawings using watercolor pencils. The thing is, I'm just having fun making my little experiments. I never sit down and think "I must create a piece of art." No way, that's too much discipline and as said, this is just for fun and a way to escape into another world.

When I play my guitar I try to make sense. With my drawings, making sense is the last thing I'm trying to do!

I used to make custom made sterling and 14k jewelry and then when I got my first guitar 11 years ago I said screw this nonsense. I still have $1000’s of worth of jewelry sitting in boxes in my spare room. I will sell it when I find the perfect Gibson Goddess in purple that want. I am in no hurry. Lazy might be another adjective. I have my PRS to keep me extremely happy.

I do like gardening but that has become a little iffy over the years. Give me a guitar any old time and I am happier then a pig in deep doo doo! Lol

I empty beer bottles.

More seriously, my main creative outlet is cooking. It's more or less compulsory, my wife refuses to cook on weeknights, so we have cooking marathons on the weekends to pack the fridge with leftovers. After being married 20 years, we figured out that it works really well for her to do the prep work and hand everything to me to cook it. I get a lot of satisfaction when it comes out well, and even more satisfaction from eating it! :D

Also I've done traditional Shotokan karate for rather a long time, and there's a performative aspect to that where I get to try to practice excellence. I may be good at it one day.

Back