So what other ways do you express yourself creatively?

ScottR

If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.
Just like the title asks...what other ways do you express yourself creatively other than playing?

I have been getting back into sketching with charcoal primarily. It has always been a passion of mine (not as good as I used to be but I'm still passionate about it) after a several year hiatus, I have been slowly but surely getting that fire back.

So, if you have another creative outlet, tell us about it. You know, enquiring minds and all.

@Alnus Rubra we already know you have a passion for pole dancing but what else? :p:D

Aaaannndddd go!

I paint. I went to art school for 4 years. I was better and more inspired when I entered. One professor belittled my technique and "eye" just enough to make it more of a chore - I always second guess what I'm doing. I'm starting to get back into it. Moving near the Smokies has helped with the inspiration...though, I tend to do photography more after thinking about it for a minute!!!

Baking. I also love cooking in the kitchen, but baking things is a real passion. Especially breads, which force you to slow down and enjoy the process. If I wouldn’t gain weight like a snowball rolling downhill, I’d be baking breads, pies, pastries, cakes, and cookies every single day. But being on the north side of 60, and wanting to remain active enjoying outdoor things, I try to hold it to a couple of things a week. Today (actually started yesterday, see above)… baguettes.

Edit:
I still suck at shaping, but they taste great!

nU2JBIo.jpg

Last edited:
I paint. I went to art school for 4 years. I was better and more inspired when I entered. One professor belittled my technique and "eye" just enough to make it more of a chore - I always second guess what I'm doing. I'm starting to get back into it. Moving near the Smokies has helped with the inspiration...though, I tend to do photography more after thinking about it for a minute!!!

Crazy how one crappy teacher can stifle art. I had an art teacher that believed you could only achieve facial symmetry by fist drawing a grid and filling in the blocks. I never did that and I refused to do it no matter what he said. I would finish a portrait and go back and draw the grid, then erase it. He caught me doing it and when we butted heads over it he kicked me out of his class. To this day I despise him for doing that to me as a kid. Good luck finding inspiration again. Sounds like you're in a great place for it. I have plans on getting into painting down the line eventually. Stay after it my friend!

Baking. I also love cooking in the kitchen, but baking things is a real passion. Especially breads, which force you to slow down and enjoy the process. If I wouldn’t gain weight like a snowball rolling downhill, I’d be baking breads, pies, pastries, cakes, and cookies every single day. But being on the north side of 60, and wanting to remain active enjoying outdoor things, I try to hold it to a couple of things a week. Today (actually started yesterday, see above)… baguettes.

I have been getting into cooking a lot myself lately. My wife was promoted at work recently and usually doesn't get home until around seven. So, I have taken over the kitchen duties. So far so good. I haven't baked anything much so far, but I did make my first pan of homemade cornbread the other day. I was really proud of it. I have never cooked a lot, but now I totally get how challenging and rewarding it can be.
Xez24ZU.jpeg

sjLGJAm

I have been getting into cooking a lot myself lately. My wife was promoted at work recently and usually doesn't get home until around seven. So, I have taken over the kitchen duties. So far so good. I haven't baked anything much so far, but I did make my first pan of homemade cornbread the other day. I was really proud of it. I have never cooked a lot, but now I totally get how challenging and rewarding it can be.
Xez24ZU.jpeg

sjLGJAm
Looking good there! That’s a regular meal side in our house. Genuine comfort food :)

Similar leanings here.

Cooking, baking, sometimes grilling during the warmer months. Have learned to make a week's worth of food ahead of time and just store and reheat as needed. Have got 2 decent Meatloaf and Smokehouse Breaded Chicken recipes that are my preferred meal plans.

Also a homemade Mushroom Sausage Stuffing recipe. I prefer to grind pork shoulder myself for both the meatloaf and stuffing recipes. Cheaper than buying pre-mixed or store-bought versions when one doesn't have control over the salt or spice ratios. It's extra work, but better for your health.

Wednesday was a day for a batch of stuffing, baking some homemade stuffing croutons, and a double-batch of oatmeal raisin pecan cookies. I screwed up and forgot the baking soda and cinnamon in both cookie batches, so it was necessary to sprinkle some cinnamon sugar over the cookies before they cooled. Tastes the same, so no fault, no foul...

MMMmmmmm....
I'm hooked on homemade bread.
Latest is whole wheat with a sesame seed bottom, and three cheese top.

Looking good there! That’s a regular meal side in our house. Genuine comfort food :)

Thanks Rick! Unfortunately I can't eat that much bread, but maaaan do I love it! Since I cut most of it out I've dropped around 25lbs and my A1C isn't on the verge of making me go into a diabetic coma. I really miss that more than anything!

Back