So what exactly did I get for $899?!?

mapleleaf14

Gang,

I just picked up a PRS amp - Dallas 4x10 black with the charcoal maple front.

It has a tag on the back that says Derek Trucks Mods, 8/12 build I guess.

I know it's a Dallas 50, but I know very little else about this amp so feed me some knowledge!! What do the Trucks mods do in respect to a regular Dallas?

It was tagged at one of the local shops around me as used, but if it is used it's immaculate. It appears like maybe it was old stock or something...there are no signs of it being used before.

Anyway, anything I should know about this amp?

It will go nicely with my Archon as more of a bluesy amp I guess - I snagged partially because I've like all the PRS amps I've played/owned in the past and partially because $899 seemed like a wicked good deal.

I don't know anything about your new amp really. But that seems like a great deal!

img_2650.jpg

img_2651.jpg

Haven't tried any other guitar yet, but in the hour since I've been playing, my double cut "Junior" with a single Rio Grande Bluesdawg P90 is frickin' awesome through this thing! My other guitars are downstairs in my "studio" so I've only been playing this Junior so far.

I'm going to leave the amp on for awhile to see if any issues pop up after it's been on for awhile. I wouldn't be terribly shocked if it needed some tubes replaced seeing that it's 4 years old at this point depending on how much they've been used, but like I said it doesn't "appear" to be used at all but some people (like me) take really good care of their stuff so who knows. Even if it ended up needing tubes, it's still a good deal it seems.

I can't find too much online about these and I guess they haven't been available new from PRS for a couple years.

One listing I saw for a used one said it was a "sales demo" and that only 2 or 3 of the 410's were made with the Trucks mods...that seems like a sales tactic to me - surely these aren't that rare.

In any case, it sure has some nice tones in it.

Last edited:
No knowledge to help you out. Congrats on a great find for a terrific price!

Unreal!!! I passed up a new sweet 16 head for under $500 and am still kicking myself, glad you didn't make the same mistake!

Nice amp! I doubt the tubes will give you trouble. I get the sense that they weren't used much, and as long as the amp wasn't handled roughly such that the tubes suffered a bunch of mechanical shocks, then you'll probably get the full life out of them. Hope so, anyway.

Unreal!!! I passed up a new sweet 16 head for under $500 and am still kicking myself, glad you didn't make the same mistake!

Where is the "un-like" button? :)

Did you play it? I'd have a hard time passing on one of those for under $500 unless I played it and didn't like it, but from what I've heard that would really surprise me. But I can't get side tracked by anything else that is standing between me and an Archon.... so MAYBE I'd pass on it... unless that deal showed up after I get an Archon!

Where is the "un-like" button? :)

Did you play it? I'd have a hard time passing on one of those for under $500 unless I played it and didn't like it, but from what I've heard that would really surprise me. But I can't get side tracked by anything else that is standing between me and an Archon.... so MAYBE I'd pass on it... unless that deal showed up after I get an Archon!

It was... ok. Not a bad amp by any means, but I just didn't see myself using it a ton. Good cleans, but I had other amps with good cleans, and it had a raggedy, fuzzish OD, which was cool, but more in a way I would want a pedal to get that tone occasionally, not to be hard-wired into my rig.

At the time I was a broke student, and I had enough amps to suffice for any gig I would need that size amp for, so it was hard to justify. But, still, for under $500... what was I thinking? Was I thinking at all?

What did you get for your $899?

A freakin' STEAL. Seriously. And there aren't very many of those beasts in the wild.

You really lucked out.

Back