So....what did you pick up at Experience?

I picked this bad boy up from JD at Guitar Maverick.

Very cool! I haven't had a chance to play through a the combo version of these. Definitely super flexible amp and yours is a beauty.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;103144 said:
A healthy new perspective on my guitar addiction.

I wish I were that self-aware... :)

For a variety of reasons I wasn't able to get there until about 3pm on Saturday. My buddy greeted me and asked, "So what are you going to buy today?". "Nothing", I said, having just bought a sweet Breedlove acoustic-electric this week (a nice complement to my SE Angelus). Needless to say, I was walking out of the building by 3:45 carrying a Black Gold 408 Semi. I'm such a sucker for limited runs...

I have the best wife in the world, by the way.

I'm a sucker for the limited runs also. And those 408 semi-hollow bodies were just outstanding to look at. I'm really interested in how they compare to regular 408's and how both compare to Paul's guitar.

photo-86.jpg

I picked this bad boy up from JD at Guitar Maverick. First let me say JD is absolutely awesome to work with. He took great care of me. I recommend you all give him a shout if you're in the market. I believe his rep is Jim(if I got that wrong please correct me) who is one cool dude. The PRS folks got it all packed up nice and neat for me..one of the employees(can't remember his name but THANK YOU) wheeled it all over God's country until they found me and my car...Shawn personally took care of making sure I got it in the trunk safe and sound.

1X12 HXDA 30 watt combo...with a V30. Sounds killer....Took me a little to get it dialed in exactly the way I like it...found the sweet spot for me (first two switches down in DA last switch up to HX...bass gain up higher than treble gain...mostly because of the new V30 and the open back nature of the combo)...as Sergio would say..."It's BANGIN!!!!!!!!!!" Taking it to band practice tonight!!!!!

I also picked up a few shirts and a new guitar strap. Spent some time talking to Len when I got the extras...one of the nicest people around.

Can't forget to mention Mark and Steve...both were very generous and gave me their PRS experience goodie bags to give to my two boys!!! Thanks again guys...you rock!!!!:rock:

Also...Thanks to Kerry and Hans for the BREWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

and Jeff and his bride for their amazing hospitality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killer! EL84 or 34?

EL34

which is why doug brought down the plate voltage to get it near 30 watts (or at least thats my understanding)

Sweet! That's a great wattage for that style of amp. I thought it might be EL34's with that comment on the plate voltage, but I'm no amp expert, and I know what happens when I ASSume! Haha!

EL34

which is why doug brought down the plate voltage to get it near 30 watts (or at least thats my understanding)
Great score Bob!

I've totally been lusting after one of these for a while now (just ask Les and CR). Glad someone picked one up and gave a tone test! Now I really, really want one...

As far as I knew, they were a limited run of 8-10ish. Is this still the case or did they do another run for Exp? What's the serial number...?

Thanks! :)

I picked up a number, 4729, when I picked out the wood and colors for the Private Stock. It's a lovely prime number. I also picked up a lovely receipt for the balance marked, "paid in full."

Then, I got hassled over my 305 Prototype by Hans and Scott. Sorry about the confusion guys.

I never had a chance to succumb to substitute GAS although there were a lot of tempting things,

The HRDA and the DG Custom amps were great sounding, but I don't need another amp.
The were a couple of interesting pieces in Swamp Ash, but I am all swamp ashed out at the moment.

Last edited:
The 408 semi-hollow is a personal dream guitar, which means, of course, that there won't be any left by the time I can afford one.

photo-86.jpg

I picked this bad boy up from JD at Guitar Maverick. First let me say JD is absolutely awesome to work with. He took great care of me. I recommend you all give him a shout if you're in the market. I believe his rep is Jim(if I got that wrong please correct me) who is one cool dude. The PRS folks got it all packed up nice and neat for me..one of the employees(can't remember his name but THANK YOU) wheeled it all over God's country until they found me and my car...Shawn personally took care of making sure I got it in the trunk safe and sound.

1X12 HXDA 30 watt combo...with a V30. Sounds killer....Took me a little to get it dialed in exactly the way I like it...found the sweet spot for me (first two switches down in DA last switch up to HX...bass gain up higher than treble gain...mostly because of the new V30 and the open back nature of the combo)...as Sergio would say..."It's BANGIN!!!!!!!!!!" Taking it to band practice tonight!!!!!

I also picked up a few shirts and a new guitar strap. Spent some time talking to Len when I got the extras...one of the nicest people around.

Can't forget to mention Mark and Steve...both were very generous and gave me their PRS experience goodie bags to give to my two boys!!! Thanks again guys...you rock!!!!:rock:

I really didn't spend enough time checking out amps. This score is evident of that. Way to go man. Great example and thanks for sharing your experience. Was a pleasure to meet you.

:five:

I set myself a limit of one thing to purchase at experience. Evidently, I don't do well with self imposed limits.... I ended up with two things.

DG Custom 30 and a white DGT. The DGT amp came first (and I knew that I wanted it before I even showed up...) but the white DGT just had my name on it.

I gigged the DGT Custom 30 on Friday (just after picking it up) and gigged them both together on Saturday.

DSC_0158_zps6c51fe93.jpg

I already have a DG Signature PS stoptail and was expecting them to be pretty similar. Actually (and as much as I love the DG stoptail) the trem and the DG pickup in the neck position really make them different guitars. To be honest, I got this guitar because of its looks, but it's just a stellar guitar.

DSC_0109_zpsd83022ba.jpg

DSC_0100_zps65f4b32c.jpg

DSC_0096_zpsd055aafb.jpg

DSC_0092_zps7926d3cd.jpg

Also, it was kind of neat that both were signed by David Grissom.

So, what did you get???

P.S. Props to the fine folks at Sam Ash and all of the dealers I met at Experience. It's easy to think of dealers as part of some large machine, but all of the folks I met were just super nice guys dedicated to keeping customers happy.

photo-86.jpg

HXDA 30 watt combo...with a V30 ! A Grissom 30 Watt! Sounds like at this Experience the big news was AMPS.

After reading the descriptions-> For the first time I have PRS AMP GAS! 30 Watts with a 2x12 is just right! ;)

I think all of us married PRS owners have great wives: At Experience 2011, I got a Custom 24 Black Gold Burst and then this year I got a 2013 Angelus SE Custom acoustic/electric. A big thank you to all the ladies out there. See you all next year.

For a variety of reasons I wasn't able to get there until about 3pm on Saturday. My buddy greeted me and asked, "So what are you going to buy today?". "Nothing", I said, having just bought a sweet Breedlove acoustic-electric this week (a nice complement to my SE Angelus). Needless to say, I was walking out of the building by 3:45 carrying a Black Gold 408 Semi. I'm such a sucker for limited runs...

You're lucky!!! I am really interested in that 408 Semi-Hollow. Pics would be great! What about the tone? Thanks.

-Tony

Back