So we need to talk about that speaker cab I made.

CRex has relaxed, sweeter highs. It's not bright and crunchy. May need some break-in but should be a good "jazz type tone" speaker afterwards.

And, you know there is actual science available to help you with porting options. If what you did sounds good with this cab, that's great, but you can use info that's out there to help you "tune" the next one.

CRex has relaxed, sweeter highs. It's not bright and crunchy. May need some break-in but should be a good "jazz type tone" speaker afterwards.

And, you know there is actual science available to help you with porting options. If what you did sounds good with this cab, that's great, but you can use info that's out there to help you "tune" the next one.
Thanks for the info, this has been more of an intuitive prototype build, more like what I think would work based on what I have seen on the internet or what I think it should look like and just wanted to build it in a reasonable time frame. Have been looking around to see what other builders are doing, but I haven't found many out there, except Barefaced, that are doing this type of ports. But I know there is a good deal of mind blowing research regarding sound/speakers that makes my head spin. Have also other ideas (besides porting) about what to incorporate in my next build that would make for a very versatile piece of gear.
And regarding the "tuning", I still have to do some experimenting and figuring out what freqs to tame or boost and finding a way to do it efficiently and without loosing my hearing:). There are some low mid freqs that someone once mentioned were to prominent, but it was in a specific (quite big) rehearsal room and he was sitting in a specific spot, so it might have been reflections, who knows.

I've seen this type of "opening" on speaker cabs, but only rarely. I'm not sure it qualifies as 'porting" vs. just an opening... that's sort of a reverse horn...

Also noting, I don't like two V30s together in a 2x, but have have pretty good luck mixing them with other speakers. But all V30s = too much spikey for me.

I've seen this type of "opening" on speaker cabs, but only rarely. I'm not sure it qualifies as 'porting" vs. just an opening... that's sort of a reverse horn...

Also noting, I don't like two V30s together in a 2x, but have have pretty good luck mixing them with other speakers. But all V30s = too much spikey for me.
Totally agree, was just saying that a few posts above, have swapped one V30 for a Jensen (Jet) Electric Lighting, makes for a bit smoother listening experience. Although I could find instances where two V30's are a good choice, depends on what you want in a sound. Of course a lot depends on amp and pickup choice.

Totally agree, was just saying that a few posts above, have swapped one V30 for a Jensen (Jet) Electric Lighting, makes for a bit smoother listening experience. Although I could find instances where two V30's are a good choice, depends on what you want in a sound. Of course a lot depends on amp and pickup choice.
I've tried and tried... I haven't found an amp or guitar yet that I prefer 2 V30s with, vs. 1 V30 and one something else, or two something elses. LOL

I've tried and tried... I haven't found an amp or guitar yet that I prefer 2 V30s with, vs. 1 V30 and one something else, or two something elses. LOL

I have a pair of Mesa OEM Vintage 30's from late 90's which I pulled on ebay some 9 months ago. Still fighting myself to mix them with MC90's. I even bought second Fillmore 2x12 cabinet for this but these two cabs as stock work so well together... I just can't break myself to do this

I have a pair of Mesa OEM Vintage 30's from late 90's which I pulled on ebay some 9 months ago. Still fighting myself to mix them with MC90's. I even bought second Fillmore 2x12 cabinet for this but these two cabs as stock work so well together... I just can't break myself to do this
I get what you're saying, it's all about what sound you are after.

I get what you're saying, it's all about what sound you are after.

Yeah man. I do that stuff often when I'm happy with certain element of my rig just to flip it for something more posh or simply different based on online reviews or any other form of mojo and trashing my tone as a result of this.

I really like V30's and for a while I was plugging my Boogie to Marshall Silver Jub 4x12 reissue and I liked the tone. This cab is on Vintage 30's (Marshall Vintage actually which is another form of Vintage 30 oems) but if its not broken...

...I will probably gonna do this but not really feeling rushed

I bought a micro jazz on EBay, nothing wrong with the micro CMT, just too much to fiddle with. Followed some online folks advice and dialed down the bass and mid-range dialed up the treble. It’s a lot better, not exactly what I want, but that might be down to not using 13s like areal jazz player.

My next project is to build a highly portable speaker like one of the ones offered by Toob.

Back