So John Mayer says Silver Sky is a "series of instruments"

Guitarsan

"I floor it. That’s technical talk." SRV
Awesome longish interview in the September Guitar World with Mayer and a sidebar with PRSh.

"I want to be clear, I wasn't looking to create a signature model. I want to go a step deeper into the genetic code of things. I'm looking to create a series of instruments that represent my point of view - and have a little 'desk time' next to Paul where I can bring some of my ideas to life that, over the years, will tell a story. ..... I don't want the Silver Sky to be a signature guitar; I want it to become other people's signature guitar..... That's why I didn't put my name on the front of the guitar - it's on the neck plate......We don't want to move forward too fast, because people are still waiting for this version of the guitar to get in their hands. But I will say this - I don't think we'll ever see a sunburst model. I want a guitar that echoes what's happening in the world today, and who makes anything sunburst anymore? In 1954, when electric guitars started gaining popularity, everything was sunburst - furniture, record players, cuckoo clocks. So why are guitars still sunburst? Is it because it's always been that way? Does it serve the art? There's some very cool things happening in the world with materials that I want to embrace."

Check it out, all kinds of gems in it!

Last edited:
i like a strong opinion, and also don’t like tobacco sunburst (looks ‘reliced’). but nothing is as bad as antigua.

Oh, and "I want to have my own little plot of land to develop and build on. I tried to do something like that with Fender, but I couldn't create enough enthusiasm for my vision. I'm not hurt by that. No one is obligated to be enthused about an idea of mine."

But that's not why the Silver Sky has a certain familiar double cut shape. It's to match the familiar (I'm cool with that shape) with a more modern and consistent build approach. (Paraphrasing that.) Again, more in the article.

Last, hey Paul, will you sell those awesome pickups separately? "Well, let me think about that. No. Hmmmm... Let me think about that again. No. Let me think one more time. No, no, and no. [laughs] We worked too hard on it to put it in someone else's guitar!"

Awesome longish interview in the September Guitar World with Mayer and a sidebar with PRSh.

"I want to be clear, I wasn't looking to create a signature model. I want to go a step deeper into the genetic code of things. I'm looking to create a series of instruments that represent my point of view - and have a little 'desk time' next to Paul where I can bring some of my ideas to life that, over the years, will tell a story. ..... I don't want the Silver Sky to be a signature guitar; I want it to become other people's signature guitar..... That's why I didn't put my name on the front of the guitar - it's on the neck plate......We don't want to move forward too fast, because people are still waiting for this version of the guitar to get in their hands. But I will say this - I don't think we'll ever see a sunburst model. I want a guitar that echoes what's happening in the world today, and who makes anything sunburst anymore? In 1954, when electric guitars started gaining popularity, everything was sunburst - furniture, record players, cuckoo clocks. So why are guitars still sunburst? Is it because it's always been that way? Does it serve the art? There's some very cool things happening in the world with materials that I want to embrace."

Check it out, all kinds of gems in it!

I called my local B&N and they still have the August issue on their shelf. I'll keep in eye out, thanks!

Love the guitar but his cover fashion leaves me stymied. But then if you need to fall asleep on a bus, plane or train it seems very practical.

I assumed the neck pillow was a take-off on the “Sky” motif, but on second thought that’s not obscure enough.

I must be stuck in the ‘50’s I like a sunburst, but it’s just my taste on one guitar, that seems to lend itself to that look!

But then I love myself a bit of nude as well, ooh and purple (raspberry-burst). Oh heck, back on a burst. How cool would it be if everything was purple-raspberry-burst. Cars, record players, iPads, PC’s, phones etc!!

I must be stuck in the ‘50’s I like a sunburst, but it’s just my taste on one guitar, that seems to lend itself to that look!
My first strat(ish)
CK_045PFirstPlaySwampAshAAACropped.JPG

Back