So John Mayer says Silver Sky is a "series of instruments"

My first strat(ish)
CK_045PFirstPlaySwampAshAAACropped.JPG
Killer Swampy! Niiiice!

I had no idea that sunburst was "fashionable" in the 50s. I like it, but I like flamed maple look better. Tiger stripes. Hope his next idea has dual humbuckers, though. I'm not a single-coil fan personally, although I love tons of music made on Stratocasters. It's just not my thing.

I think JM is a bit contradictory here. He says the guitars aren't sunburst, because he wants to be modern, yet he designed the silver sky be a recreation of his early 60's strats complete with vintage sized fret wire. He's also very much off the mark about sunburst. There are certain things that are timeless. When you put natural stone floors in your home, you are using stuff that has been in use for 100s if not 1000s of years. How about shaker style cabinets and furniture? Certain things just survive the times and remain relevant and sunburst finish is in that category.

he designed the silver sky be a recreation of his early 60's strats

Not a recreation, That's probably what he had from Fender and wanted to progress from. More like a modernization...

And I'm ok with a sunburst in the right situation.

Not a recreation, That's probably what he had from Fender and wanted to progress from. More like a modernization...

And I'm ok with a sunburst in the right situation.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not putting down the Silver Sky. It's a fine instrument. I'd love to own one. BUT.... how was it modernized? Did they use a larger fret wire or a stainless wire? No. Did they eliminate the hum from the pickups? No. Ok..so the pickups were revoiced from traditional Fenderish tones, but is that a modernization? Things I would consider modernized are what the now defuct Parker used to do. That is modernizing the instrument. This is just giving us something old made with modern manufacturing techniques maybe tweaked here and there. It's basically the same alder bodied maple necked 3 single coil guitar that lots of manufacturers are doing in slightly different flavors. That's not taking anything away from it. There is a market for that kind of guitar and they sell. But, lets not call it modern or modernized. They only modern thing about it MIGHT be the grey color. All of the other colors have been readily available for decades.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not putting down the Silver Sky. It's a fine instrument. I'd love to own one. BUT.... how was it modernized? Did they use a larger fret wire or a stainless wire? No. Did they eliminate the hum from the pickups? No. Ok..so the pickups were revoiced from traditional Fenderish tones, but is that a modernization? Things I would consider modernized are what the now defuct Parker used to do. That is modernizing the instrument. This is just giving us something old made with modern manufacturing techniques maybe tweaked here and there. It's basically the same alder bodied maple necked 3 single coil guitar that lots of manufacturers are doing in slightly different flavors. That's not taking anything away from it. There is a market for that kind of guitar and they sell. But, lets not call it modern or modernized. They only modern thing about it MIGHT be the grey color. All of the other colors have been readily available for decades.

Agree with you there. The bridge is nicely updated, but not really much different from products already available.

It has vintage features (or problems, as I see it) but created with today's superior manufacturing technique.

Locking tuners. Those weren't around in the '60s. There's your modern!

In terms of sunburst, I don't consciously like it and I've never chose a burst finish because it was sunburst, but I seem to have ended up with quite a few of them over the years. I had a burst Firebird back in the early '80s because I got it for next to nothing at a garage sale and there was only one to choose from. I had a strat that was sunburst that I chose because the other choice with a neck I liked was puke "gold" that I never could have picked up, let alone played. I have a burst Gretsch Jim Dandy because the black one they also had in stock didn't play as well as the burst. My 594 was a tobacco burst because the other used 594s available when I was looking were colors I didn't like and that tobacco burst was friggin' GORGEOUS even for someone who doesn't really like burst. In addition to being beautiful it was the most understated option and I like understated even if not necessarily in burst. My Ibanez Scofield is burst because that's all they come in. There's another Scofield model now that's black, but my tele is already black and I didn't want two black and one silver electrics, so I went with burst. I don't love burst, but evidently I don't hate it because I keep ending up with it. Often as the least objectionable option, but that ain't nuthin - particularly when it keeps happening... My strat, funnily enough, could just about be a silver sky except for the headstock. It's an inca-silver Robert Cray model with a rosewood fretboard and I think it's REAL sharp looking. As is my jet black tele with the blond maple neck / fretboard. Like a great looking blonde in a black dress....

-Ray

I don’t care for regular sunburst, but really like Cherry Sunburst. I like the Vienna-like burst on the DC3s. But I don’t love the regular sunburst. Yet I have two of them. :rolleyes: 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat, only color it came in, and my Wolfie, which was the only one like that the store was getting in for months and I was ready to buy.

it’s not a guitar you can put on a truck, it’s a series of instruments. i asked my danny this morning he said.

Back