So I went to GC to compare the 2 channel PRS amps...

cosmic_ape

Plays too many notes!
I remember trying the first batch of PRS Dallas amps when PRSh kindly donated some to my Alma mater (Musicians Institute) some time ago. I was impressed by the tones, even more when I put some pedals through them...

I figured the "H" and "C" were doable (after some black market kidney selling and maybe layaway). So, I went to GC Hollyweird, straight to the Platinum Room (you just gotta look confident, like you can actually afford some sh#t). I got the guy to turn both 2 channel H and C on so I could compare them. Right off the bat, the channel H (the one I think I'm getting) is not working. Someone must have effed it up, so I can't do the comparison. I got a little bugged but went on and played the "C". Great tones, but I'm wondering if the 112 combo is cramping out my style (lead channel sounds a little thin and compressed)...

As I was playing it, I noticed a MDT head/212 speaker laying around. I plugged in, struck a chord and went: "Smack my ass and call me Judy, that's fabulous!!!"

I mean, holy mother of God, this thing sounds great! Even with the master on "1", it's rattling the room. The cab sounds great, open and chunky but never muddy or undefined. This thing is a monster! I kept tweaking back and forth, playing clean and overdriven tones and I couldn't believe my ears. I want this amp, now! I carried both head and cab around to test the weight and they were both incredibly light. I'm sold! God, why am I a starving artist? I want this amp, now! Seriously!!!

As I was leaving I wondered what the HX/DA would sound like...

...I guess male prostitution and bank robbery are back on the table!

There's this on the PRS product page:

http://www.prsguitars.com/hxda/

And here's a comparison clip between MDT and HX/DA from another forum...

http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/showthread.html?17020-MDT-Vs-HXDA-Quick-Comparison

Oh, yeah. I've watched those before. But once I actually played them, then I felt I really got them, you know? I would love to sit down with my trusty C22 and play these puppies, all of them. Maybe I'll make the trip to Wild West Guitars for the Grissom clinic...

So, I went to GC Hollyweird, straight to the Platinum Room (you just gotta look confident, like you can actually afford some sh#t).
You gotta pass the test... Look that guy at the little desk in the eye, nod and keep moving... I neve try to play anything I'm really interested in on the main floor there... Between the tour bus crowds and the Kids "auditioning" for some Scream'O band - you can't hear anything! :D

As I was playing it, I noticed a MDT head/212 speaker laying around. I plugged in, struck a chord and went: "Smack my ass and call me Judy, that's fabulous!!!"

I mean, holy mother of God, this thing sounds great! Even with the master on "1", it's rattling the room. The cab sounds great, open and chunky but never muddy or undefined. This thing is a monster! I kept tweaking back and forth, playing clean and overdriven tones and I couldn't believe my ears. I want this amp, now! I carried both head and cab around to test the weight and they were both incredibly light. I'm sold! God, why am I a starving artist? I want this amp, now! Seriously!!!

As I was leaving I wondered what the HX/DA would sound like...

Sounds like I need to check out the MDT next time! I got stuck on the TINY TERROR last time I was in there.... I couldn't believe how good it sounded for the $$$.

...I guess male prostitution and bank robbery are back on the table!

Wild West Guitars for the Grissom clinic...

Careful what you offer up when you are down there! LOL!!! You're pretty close to North Hollywood! ;)

Grissom clinic!? when!? Can you even get into wild west? they are in a warehouse somewhere if I remember right....

Last edited:
Back