So I finally got to play an Al D and a DGT! and the winner is....

Rango

I'm in the market for another PRS...

I've been interested in both the DGT and the Al D but in a year or two of hitting guitar shops I just never happened across either guitar in stock! :eek:

So I'm in Hollywood and hit GC and Sam Ash. Sam Ash had BOTH hanging on the wall! With a HX/DA amp too! I got to play an AL D and a DGT back to back for the better part of an hour. I have a P22 (Pattern Regular) and a Paul's (Pattern) at home. I MUCH prefer the Pattern on the Paul's to the Pattern Regular on the P22. So I wondered about the neck shapes on the AL D and the DGT... ( could PRS Obfuscate the necks shapes and names a little more... :roll eyes: )

To me, the Al D and the DGT BOTH felt closer to PATTERN. After reading the discription on the PRS site, I expected the Al D to be closer to Pattern Regular but it was thicker than that...

The Al D was a FANTASTIC looking in person! I had a hard time leaving without it, just on looks alone! It played great too! But the DGT "sounded" better to me.

My wife came in the room and after hearing both she volunteered that the DGT sounded better to her. It's very unusual for her to comment on anything "guitar" at all, so it' must have really made an impression! I was flipping back and forth though a PRS HX/DA head into a PRS 2x12 Cab. My P22 may go on the block to help me get the DGT! ;)

Another thing I learned is that the PRS Trem is fantastic for a guy like me used to hard tails! It really is nice to rest on and lets you palm mute without taking the guitar out of tune! :D

The Al D looked so good...I'd think about buying one an stuffing DGT Pickups in it. Don't know if there are any other wiring differences?
The DGT Pickups are very nice. Not taking anything away from the Al D Pu's - if I was a Jazz player maybe I'd like them better? But for Classic Rock and Blues - DGT for the win. :D

Back