So how many guitars are too many? When do you have enough?

This is about enough:

25hl7ya.jpg

Ultimately it comes down to a simple calculus--

You have enough when you think you have enough, and you have too many when you think that you have too many.

It's a subjective determination that only the player (or collector, as the case may be) can make.

Then, too, a person's needs change from time to time. I once did a series of ads for a GM division that called for a roots-rock Americana kind of sound, and the client wanted to hear a Rick. So I bought a Rick. After the project was over, it hung around and I never used it, so I moved it on. But while I had it, that Rick was a very important part of my arsenal.

Is there such a thing as a Guitarsenal?

I'm still stuck at simple calculus...I even hear the word and my brain freezes.

Just buy more guitars!

Ironic topic, two years ago I acquired the second largest bedroom in my house to convert into my "studio". This extra square footage combined with the empty nest and end of 17 years of child support led to an explosion in the guitar related population. I have always had 12-15 guitars, mostly Jackson's, Charvels, Strats and Dean. That same Xmas my wonderful wife, after years of me showing her eBay photos of my holy grail of guitars, the Custom 24 quilted 10-top in faded blue burst, surprised me with one. Two years later while rearranging the studio I decided it was prudent to take inventory and get insured because my collection had grown in size and value. I knew I'd been failing in my 30 year battle with G.A.S. since my daughter moved out but was shocked to find I had acquired 72 guitars, 5 amps, 2 programmable pedal boards and at least 30 pedals. From that first PRS two years prior I had added 23 Maryland made and 3 Korean PRSi. Add that to 7 Gibsons and a whole rack of new Charvel, Jackson and Fender Strats. Yup, I was outa control.

Over the last 5-6 months I've been selling, trading and occasionally buying guitars and my goal is to trade quantity for quality. I'm down to 40 guitars as of today and will continue to purge unnecessary duplicates and any non-sentimental guitars from my inventory. I honestly don't know what the correct number of guitars is, I doubt I'll ever stop rotating inventory because I get so much pleasure from the chase....

Q: How may guitars do you want?
A: n+1

When my wife starts counting guitar cases, I know it's time to think about selling a few. She's very understanding, though. The most I ever had at one time was 35 (only 29 of them were PRSi). This was a little over a year ago. I've slimmed the herd down a bit since then, often selling 3 or 4 at a time in order to acquire a more expensive/collectible one. Works for me.
I usually take 6 or 7 to gigs. My guitar cart can't hold more than 7 at a time without cases sliding all over the place. So I really only *need* that many.

The wife and I keep our money separate so she has no issue with my guitars so long as I'm paying my half of the bills. That said, you have my answer.

I'm Jesse...and I'm a guitar-a-holic...

My wife and I do the same thing. Like you, as long as I pay my half of the bills, I am free to do what I want (as far as gear that is)

I have a very simple approach to it which is probably a bit boring. I think about the music I like, who plays it and what they play. I have a couple of Strats, a Parker that covers all of my Tele needs and my CE22 and Mira X that covers my twin 'bucker needs. If and when it is possible there is always room for more exotica but my partner and daughter have a far more serious horse (equine!) habit and I like to keep things 'balanced'.

Last edited:
Uh, excuse me - we have worked hard enough at this to earn our ENABLER titles! :flute:

Oh, we talk the talk, all right.

But I see no significant commitment to enabling, other than some cheerleading. PRS Forum guitar? Pffft.

How about a PRS Forum Credit Line? Or PRS forum private stock gift cards?

T
hen
you'd be into some serious enabling. ;)

You know you have a problem when you start doing the math to figure out if you can squeeze another guitar on the wall :cheers:

I have a problem

You know you have a problem when you start doing the math to figure out if you can squeeze another guitar on the wall :cheers:

I have a problem

Buy a new wall perhaps? Or even, utilize said wall and hang them above and below each other maybe, yes?

Is this considered enabling or does it need to be directly involving GAS to be worthy of the title?

I get paralysis by analysis in the studio if I have more than 3-4. That's my max.

Put me in this camp. For the last year or so I've had 2 guitars, which is exactly how many I need for gigs. I may occasionally replace one, or get a 3rd one to try out, but I quickly go back to 2 guitars, as that's what I'm more comfortable with. Any more than that and I have too many decisions to make. There is definitely something to be said for playing only one or two guitars and getting to really know them well.

Back