So how do You do it?

McMahon67

I can’t play while I’m drinking beer like…. At alllllllll.
I’ve seen so many artists play straight wasted…. And I’m sure that there’s a creative thing that happens with that. But… I ain’t one of em. Do you find that creativity there?

I’m happier otherwise.

When I used to play live I'd slways have 5-6 double screwdrivers before taking the stage. I always had wicked stage fright, even though I had been playing live since my teens. I take my music very seriously and was always wound too tightly. A buzz would help me relax and I'd usually end up sweating it out by the end of our set.

When I used to play live I'd slways have 5-6 double screwdrivers before taking the stage. I always had wicked stage fright, even though I had been playing live since my teens. I take my music very seriously and was always wound too tightly. A buzz would help me relax and I'd usually end up sweating it out by the end of our set.
Don’t try this at home, kids.

Or, if you’re playing church gigs.

I super appreciate that. I get it… I do the same in other scenarios…. I respect your ability to suppress!

I can drink beer throughout a gig, but shots or mixed drinks are right out. For that matter, so are my favorite beers - Scotch Ales are too potent for gigging beer. Gigs are one of the rare times that I'll drink a Bud or a Miller Lite. Just enough alcohol to loosen the nerves, not enough to impair playing or function.

I can drink beer throughout a gig, but shots or mixed drinks are right out. For that matter, so are my favorite beers - Scotch Ales are too potent for gigging beer. Gigs are one of the rare times that I'll drink a Bud or a Miller Lite. Just enough alcohol to loosen the nerves, not enough to impair playing or function.
Supervisor!

You, sir…. Are legend!

And this is why I always drank beer, and usually light beer, when I drank. I didn’t WANT to get drunk. EVER. Little buzz was good but I wanted to be in control at all times. My friends who loved shots, or just pounding beers… well they loved hanging with me because I was a great designated driver.

With beer, you can control the buzz. start feeling it… back off. With shots, it’s like the more you drink, the more you want to drink and in just a few minutes, you really aren’t in control anymore.

I can’t play while I’m drinking beer like…. At alllllllll.
I’ve seen so many artists play straight wasted…. And I’m sure that there’s a creative thing that happens with that. But… I ain’t one of em. Do you find that creativity there?

I’m happier otherwise.

Regarding creativity... I don't think drinking opens those doors for many people, certainly myself included. Other substances, perhaps, from the tales that musicians tell, although I have zero first hand experience.

I can have a beer or two and piece in parts after I've already got a concept, or used to have have a couple during practice for cover gigs. And have been bought my fair share of drinks while on stage, which is nice, and has never ended in a problem... although some folks were, let's just say, generous!

I had one hired gig, in college, as duo with a high school classmate, for another classmate (bride)'s wedding reception - nice girl, whatever the musical entertainment was dropped out about 10 days before the gig, so she called me, and I thought she was asking if we could play. The problem was, I was going on vacation for a week and getting back the day of the wedding, so I said, sorry, no. Then she clarified, she wasn't asking. Got together with my buddy on vocals one time to practice a set list before the trip. Showed up to the gig, and a pit stop at the redneck party store down the road got us a bottle of get-through-the-set. We were careful not to go overboard, not enough to make us play worse... just enough to make us not care if we weren't that good!

Years ago, I'd absolutely drink (among other things) while playing....even got to a point where I thought my creative process was hindered if I didn't have some sort of additional "influence" before and during playing. I didn't like beer or sugary drinks, so my drink was usually a whiskey neat or vodka water. Like most, my metabolism would help offset the levels of toxins I was consuming, but definitely had times where my reaction speed and coordination were affected by what I was doing.

Been several years since I've had anything and can definitely say I play, learn, recall, create and focus MUCH better now than I ever did in those years.

That's just my experience, though...I'm sure it's all completely dependent on the individual.

Last edited:
5-6 double screwdrivers resulted in a "buzz?" I am impressed.

My playing definitely suffers if I'm intoxicated. I don't drink beer, can't stand the taste. I usually limit myself to one drink a set. If they have it that means a Woodford Reserve or Basil Hayden with one ice cube.

Back