So... Are all Private Stocks this good?

Dude

I've had a few PRS guitars over the years and always thought they were great instruments. I've had a lot of really good guitars and the only ones that were considered untouchable have been my GVCG 53 Ultimate and my Gibson Dickey Betts Brother to Brother Aged SG. A few weeks ago a Private Stock CU 22 with 59/09s stopped me in my tracks at the Dallas Guitar show. Long story short, I played it and had to have it. Ever since, I've been entranced, and I'm fully aware of the honeymoon effect. Having said that, I really think this is the best guitar I've ever played.

My question is, did I just stumble on a great one, or are all of the PS this good?

... did I just stumble on a great one, or are all of the PS this good?

Yes and no. Most private Stocks are going to be great because they start with known good processes and great artists making them. They use the best woods and hardware. But the regular ones get many of the same things. I've played some core PRSi that were fantastic, and I've played some that were just good. I have yet to come across a bad PRS. It is the same I imagine with the PS's. You got one of the keeepers. They aren't all winners, but most probably will be.

I can only comment on my own Private Stock--a semi-hollow P22 with triple 408 pickups. It's absolutely in a class by itself. Playability, fit and finish, and most importantly, TONE, are off the charts. And the wood.....AAAHHHHH THE WOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!

Most often when I first pick up an electric gtr, while I play it acoustically unplugged, I rest my left ear directly on the instrument and let the sound vibrate straight into my head so I can assess the true nature of the sound and responsiveness of it. I was completely shocked when I tried this on my PS cust24. The sound literally jumped out of the gtr so much it actually hurt my ear!!! I can't play it with my ear on it. Its too loud! I have never experienced such a vibrantly alive instrument. Definately a "rocket" as they call it around the shop. If you have also found such a gtr, DO NOT let it go! Yes, PS is worth every cent in my opinion.

Most often when I first pick up an electric gtr, while I play it acoustically unplugged, I rest my left ear directly on the instrument and let the sound vibrate straight into my head so I can assess the true nature of the sound and responsiveness of it. I was completely shocked when I tried this on my PS cust24. The sound literally jumped out of the gtr so much it actually hurt my ear!!! I can't play it with my ear on it. Its too loud! I have never experienced such a vibrantly alive instrument. Definately a "rocket" as they call it around the shop. If you have also found such a gtr, DO NOT let it go! Yes, PS is worth every cent in my opinion.

I have had more than my share of problems with the 4 PSs I have bought, (details and cosmetics mostly) but tonally, everyone has met or exceeded my expectations which are about as high as can be. No one, not even PRS can make every guitar a magical one, but I seriously doubt there are many average sounding PSs out there, and few to none "bad ones".

It's all about the people. It's a great group of folks working on those guitars. Love those guys dearly.

In my experience, yes. All mine (at this point, 15+) are way above average good guitars. I use to say that Private Stocks are exactly what they demand for. It's not like some are great, some are not. Always special guitars.

interesting... I've never ordered a Private Stock since all PRSi I've seen are from good to great and I didn't want to spend big money just for cosmetics and special features. I've never played a plugged PS guitar, but I've seen my share of unplugged ones and they played and sound very very good, but nothing that made me go crazy.
for a couple of months I started to come up with some specs on a PS guitar, just because I'd like to see and have a guitar that I specced , but after reading your posts looks like I can have in my hand a tone monster. we'll see

I would kill for a PS that was a P22 trem stuck into a SC body with 408's and the coil taps. PM me if interested. ;)

j/k :)

I have something like that on order but 24.5 and no piezo, but I appreciate where you're going. :)

Well I am certainly looking forward to seeing it when you get it. And I actually would also want the 24.5 scale as well. It's just home for me. Love the PRS SC's! ;)

Back