Smoked Chrome / Nickel Hardware Maintenance

ElrytNamrogo

My name be scrambled
While I haven't had the need yet, I was curious if anybody has any information on polishing and cleaning the smoked nickel hardware on my Custom 24/08. Any do's / don't's?

Of course, I'm assuming that over time the finish will wear, but just want to keep myself from doing it pre-maturely.

Any products, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

It is a challenge and I'm watching this thread too for any best practices. I have just been wiping down the bridge well after I play to make sure that I remove any tarnish. That has seemed to work pretty well. I light amount of polish has worked for me as well when I need to use something. I haven't found "Mother's" to be very good, but Flitz has been ok. You have to be careful with Flitz though because it is mildly abrasive and if you use too much, if can remove the "smokey" chrome. It's hard to notice this though and the bridge will look like a normal shiny nickel bridge if you do this. At least, this has been my experience.

It is a challenge and I'm watching this thread too for any best practices. I have just been wiping down the bridge well after I play to make sure that I remove any tarnish. That has seemed to work pretty well. I light amount of polish has worked for me as well when I need to use something. I haven't found "Mother's" to be very good, but Flitz has been ok. You have to be careful with Flitz though because it is mildly abrasive and if you use too much, if can remove the "smokey" chrome. It's hard to notice this though and the bridge will look like a normal shiny nickel bridge if you do this. At least, this has been my experience.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I've just been wiping mine down after playing as well. I do have some Magic Blue polish I use for my other plain nickel hardware, but I'm not sure if it'll strip the smoked finish off. Hopefully there's something out there that's gentle enough but can still shine it up nice. We'll see....

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I've just been wiping mine down after playing as well. I do have some Magic Blue polish I use for my other plain nickel hardware, but I'm not sure if it'll strip the smoked finish off. Hopefully there's something out there that's gentle enough but can still shine it up nice. We'll see....
I just looked up the Blue Magic stuff again and it does say it's non abrasive

https://www.walmart.com/ip/METAL-PO...MIpPu_qbTX3gIV0LXACh3G-wOoEAQYASABEgLMlPD_BwE

I would still tread lightly with it though just in case.

I've just been wiping mine down with a dry microfiber. I'll take any advice, as well.

I'd be interested on the results if you decide Blu Magic. Would tread lightly w it. It once took gold finish off one of my bridges.

I generally don't touch the nickel parts on my guitars. My PRS still has shiny hardware and occasionally I'll wipe smudges off with a microfiber cloth, but that is all. I've never polished any of the metal parts.
I have a couple of older guitars (31 and 38 years old) with nickel hardware, and they have tarnished quite a lot. I wouldn't dream of cleaning up and polishing those. It's part of the aging process

Back