Smelly guitar

CoryB

I bought a used 2002 Tremonti SE the other night. It's in surprisingly good shape but is well-used and the guy admitted that he just played it - he didn't ever clean it.

I got it home and spent the next three hours cleaning, shining, polishing, etc. I finally found a broken solder joint on the tone control that didn't work, but I'm upgrading the pots to CTS anyway so that's not a problem.

What I can't seem to get rid of though is the smell. It smells sort of stale - I guess from years of sweat and cigarette smoke in bars. The hard case that it came in is only a few months old and doesn't have the smell so it's not from that.

Is there any way to get rid of that smell, or at least minimize it. As I say, I've cleaned the entire outside of the guitar and even did a bit of cleaning in the control cavities but the funk remains.

As always, I appreciate any shared wisdom.

I've heard two methods and from what I've read, have worked .

Dryer sheets in the case for a week or baking soda in the case. Best way though is to get a oxygen ionizer machine if you can get one...

Someone call Chrissie Hynde...

Smelly Axe, Smel-ly Axe
Where are they playing you?
Smelly Axe, Smel-ly Axe
It's not your fault...

May the stank de-stankify itself Cory! Best of luck man!

I've heard two methods and from what I've read, have worked .

Dryer sheets in the case for a week or baking soda in the case. Best way though is to get a oxygen ionizer machine if you can get one...

+1

... or start smoking, and you won't notice it anymore.

Maybe PRS will come out with guitar-finish-friendly fragranced case-cozies!?!

BRW scent anyone?

Then for the SEs they can make their own Designer Imposter series? Love BRW? Try CITES Fresh!

Back