Small thing... what clip-on tuner fits the PRS headstock well?

I've gone away from the clip on tuners. Besides always losing them, I found them to be problematic when actually on stage. All the extraneous vibrations from the drummer and bass player made it very difficult to use. Back to the stomp tuner for me.

This is a PRS only problem it seems.
I tried the Planet Waves micro tuner at the top and sideways on the headstock of my SE Custom 24, but it slips off quite easily although I try to secure it tightly. There just seems not to be enough room on the headstock, and the poly finish doesn’t help either. I’m afraid that increasing the effort in getting the tuner on the headstock will result in lacquer damage.
Where and how do you put these clip-ons onto the headstock ?
I can tune with my amp, but the accuracy leaves much to be desired.

Although not as "secure" feeling as it might on a Martin, for example, the Snarks are what we use. I also use pedalboard tuners, though.

I can now proudly say, Korg - Pitchhawk G!
;)

And a Korg tuner on my board.

Hails back to circa ‘85 when my Dad bought a Korg tuner, pre digital, with a needle indicator! :D
I have on of those somewhere.

I use polytune on all my guitars. I have 3. I love to leave them on and use them on gigs, they work better than any of the floor tuners I've used and you can tune all the time.

I gave up on clip on tuners. I found that standing on a stage with a drummer practicing his paradiddles and bass drum technique while the bass player practiced his slap technique between songs made it almost impossible to use a tuner that relies on vibrations. Plus after I dropped my very expensive clip on strobotuner and it stopped working I thought "screw it, I'm going back to a stomp!"

I gave up on clip on tuners. I found that standing on a stage with a drummer practicing his paradiddles and bass drum technique while the bass player practiced his slap technique between songs made it almost impossible to use a tuner that relies on vibrations. Plus after I dropped my very expensive clip on strobotuner and it stopped working I thought "screw it, I'm going back to a stomp!"

Bummer. I’ve had the opposite experience. I find the clip on tuner easier to use. And tell your drummer to practice technique at home. It’s unprofessional to doodle on the band’s time.

Another advantage of the clip on is that you don’t have to be playing through your right to use it. Or any rig, just unplugged practice. Also works well when your floor rig is just a controller, no analog signals, as mine is.

this might sound crazy but anyone worry about damaging their headstock with a clip on tuner? I looked up the Polytune one and i was surprised at what looked like a sharp metal frame that could take a chunk out if it slipped off or something. I have a snark that I think is OK (I feel like it doesn't seem granular enough, like it could be a scosche off to my ear and still say in tune, at least on my acoustic) but haven't put it on my new-to-me Korina because the head stock is just too lovely and I would cry if it got a nick or mark (at least for the first year).

this might sound crazy but anyone worry about damaging their headstock with a clip on tuner? I looked up the Polytune one and i was surprised at what looked like a sharp metal frame that could take a chunk out if it slipped off or something. I have a snark that I think is OK (I feel like it doesn't seem granular enough, like it could be a scosche off to my ear and still say in tune, at least on my acoustic) but haven't put it on my new-to-me Korina because the head stock is just too lovely and I would cry if it got a nick or mark (at least for the first year).
I've been using the Polytune for years and never had a scratch/nick/mark on any of my guitars. Never even hints at falling off either.

This thread convinced me to get a Polytune months ago. It’s more accurate than my Snarks (and I don’t have to worry about any foot pads falling off).

I often forget to take the PolyTune off when putting my CE back in the gig bag, so I would say it stays on fine.

Resurrecting this old thread because I am having this exact issue right now, WITH A UNTUNE. The old Snark stays in place just fine, but the Unitune just doesn’t want to sit still on the PRS (HBII). It’s a non-issue on Gibson, Martin and Fender, but there’s just not enough empty real estate on the PRS for it to get a good purchase, despite the strong spring. Even placed on the taller tip on the bass side of the headstock, it slides around until it eventually pops off and flies across the room, and I fear it will eventually chip the guitar. It’s clearly a great little tuner and I’d love to use it, but how do all you guys get them to stay put?

Last edited:
Back