Small practicing valve amp

If you're planning to use it with your Zoom, I'd suggest getting something with plenty of clean headroom, like a Fender '65 PRRI if that's in your price range. If you like Vox tones, you might look at the AC10, which is in the same price range as the Fender Super Champ that xjbebop linked. I almost got one about a year back, but went for the AC4HW1 instead (for what it's worth, AC4s have fantastic fundamental tone, but they start to break up around 4-5 on the volume dial, i.e. not much clean headroom). Egnater makes some really nice small-but-clean amps too, the Tweaker 15 comes to mind, but I don't think they make any combos with small speakers. They tend to be a little bigger/heavier than what you're describing, say, 40-50 pounds instead of 25-30 like the other amps mentioned so far.

One last idear... with no tubes, and a smidge wider besides. Before you smack me, though, it's hard to find a better amp to use with a multi-effects rig than a Roland JC40, and since it's solid state, you can get pretty much the same tones from bedroom to barroom. 40-watts RMS, 2x10, about 35 pounds, stereo effects loop to really make the most of your Zoom board's capability, with built-in chorus, vibrato, reverb, and distortion. This is on my personal wish list (yeah, I also decided I wanted lots of warm glowing tubes and got an all-tube amp).

I like the Princeton idea but I'll throw out the Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Another awesome foundation amp.

I've played through a Blackstar HT-5R combo and it sounded pretty dam good for what its worth. I'm thinking about getting one for the restroom :)

I'd just get an Epi Valve Jr. and put some decent tubes in it; probably would cost less than $100, and they sound better than most of what you can find for five times the price.

The only other so-called practice amp I'd be interested in would be the Suhr Corso, but it's a grand, and I doubt I'd drop a grand on a 5 Watt amp.

OK, there's no freakin' way in hell I'd drop a grand on a 5 watt amp. ;)

But they do sound good!

I had three Valve Jr's. Unless you're going to mod them, they don't sound that good. Ok, but not really good. Tweaker is WAY WAY better and I sold mine for something like $275 shipped. Want something for $500 ish, that can be a bedroom killer and be gigged with in many situations? Get a Mesa TA15. Great amp that sells used under $600 and has 5 voices, each with a 5 watt setting, etc.

I think he's just having a laugh at his new 'small' amp.......but nice to see more Egnater users

That new fender bassbreaker gets great reviews at similar low price point

C'mon Les...you KNOW if Mr. Sewell concocted a 5 watt tone demon for Mr. Paul Reed Smith, you'd jump on that bandwagon!:p

I dunno about that...I didn't buy a Sweet 16...or an Archon...or any of the 2-channel amps; or a 513, a Brent Mason, a Hollowbody, a Studio, a Santana, or any number of other PRS models.

I like big amps that can drive a speaker cab and push the drivers. If PRS came out with a 5 Watt amp I'd certainly want to check it out, as I did the other PRS amps, but that doesn't mean I'd buy it.

I'm very enthusiastic about what really floats my boat, definitely, but I don't buy just to jump on the ol' bandwagon.

I had three Valve Jr's. Unless you're going to mod them, they don't sound that good. Ok, but not really good. Tweaker is WAY WAY better and I sold mine for something like $275 shipped.

I've played the Tweaker - one of my session guys had one and brought it over (he still might have it?). It did a lot of things, none with any kind of vibe/personality. Not my thing. Competent. Did the usual tricks modern amps do.

When my son was in for my daughter's wedding (3 weeks ago), he visited a buddy he'd loaned his Valve Jr. to years ago, and brought the amp here; we tried it in my studio with one of my PRS cabs just to see if it worked. I thought it sounded absolutely awesome for the thing it does; better than I remembered when we bought the amp for the princely sum of $129 on a whim while visiting GC ten years ago. It was never modded, and still had the stock tubes.

Yup, it's ragged when cranked, it's raw, it's too simple, it's all those things. But it also reminds me of real amps from the golden age of tubes -- it's got vibe and a personality I didn't find in the Tweaker.

IMHO that's a weird, but desirable thing, "personality." There are some very highly regarded amps that are versatile, that do all kinds of things, but that I find lacking in that department. For instance, people love the Bogner Shiva. I thought it was OK, but didn't have personality when I went shopping for one. However, I loved the Bogner Metropolis, made around the same time, and took one home for its unique vibe.

But just to show how opinions vary, when my son was working with 30 Seconds to Mars, they picked a Shiva over everything else. Just goes to show ya that everyone's got their own opinion - and is entitled to it! I'll also note that on the next record, they used old Vox amps instead. I won't guess as to why, but...some amps have a very long shelf life for a reason; maybe they just liked the personality of the Vox?

I might have to do a thread about musical instrument personality some time.

Last edited:
The only other so-called practice amp I'd be interested in would be the Suhr Corso, but it's a grand, and I doubt I'd drop a grand on a 5 Watt amp.

OK, there's no freakin' way in hell I'd drop a grand on a 5 watt amp. ;)

But they do sound good!

That's the way I felt about the Corso...until I played one...

Back