Small finish bumps on back of SE Silver Sky neck

Jon Kaneshiro

I was wondering if anyone thinks 0000 steel wool would be able to take out those small bumps. I did contact PRS support just in case. Not a huge deal and love this guitar, but think fixing this could make it even better!

It happens, PRS should take care of it. If you steel wool it I think it will void the warranty

It happens, PRS should take care of it. If you steel wool it I think it will void the warranty
For sure! I’m not going to do anything until I hear from them. What do you think PRS would do to “take care of it”?

For sure! I’m not going to do anything until I hear from them. What do you think PRS would do to “take care of it”?

They'll just sand it down a bit to make it smooth. Had it happen to me once. They didn't even question it, just accepted, sanded it down for me and sent it back! It went from 99.99% to 100% smooth as butter and very nice to hold. (It was already excellent but it had 2 minor areas with finish bumps that I felt with my thumb and decided that I should get that fixed asap)

Good luck!

They'll just sand it down a bit to make it smooth. Had it happen to me once. They didn't even question it, just accepted, sanded it down for me and sent it back! It went from 99.99% to 100% smooth as butter and very nice to hold. (It was already excellent but it had 2 minor areas with finish bumps that I felt with my thumb and decided that I should get that fixed asap)

Good luck!
Dang! That’s good customer service. Good to know! How long did that whole process take? Wonder if they have any certified PRS repair centers outside of their factory.

Dang! That’s good customer service. Good to know! How long did that whole process take? Wonder if they have any certified PRS repair centers outside of their factory.

I live outside the US so I think it took a bit longer than it would usually. I think in total about 3-4 weeks? Usually I think you're looking at 2-3 or so? Maybe less, hard for me to say. It also depends on how busy they are.

And yes PRS customer service is incredible! Just made me love them that much more!

I live outside the US so I think it took a bit longer than it would usually. I think in total about 3-4 weeks? Usually I think you're looking at 2-3 or so? Maybe less, hard for me to say. It also depends on how busy they are.

And yes PRS customer service is incredible! Just made me love them that much more!
Thanks for the help! I’ll see what they come back with.

Use scotch brite instead if you need to do it. Steel wool particles may stuck to pickups and are pain to clean

Agreed. I've used Scotchbrite on several of the guitars just to knock down the gloss and make it smooth to the touch (sticky necks are one of my bugaboos) with it being new, and having the satin finish I would wait to hear from PTC just to be safe. I'll second the stay away from the steele wool.

Agreed. I've used Scotchbrite on several of the guitars just to knock down the gloss and make it smooth to the touch (sticky necks are one of my bugaboos) with it being new, and having the satin finish I would wait to hear from PTC just to be safe. I'll second the stay away from the steele wool.

As patented by Tommy Steele;)

Update: the good people at PRS got back to me and said that using steel wool would not void the warranty if it didn’t damage the neck. So I manned up and got some 0000 steel wool like they recommended, taped the fingerboard, and put a garbage bag over the body so the wool wouldn’t get everywhere. Took probably five mins with a couple passes in the bumpy spots to get it feeling perfect! And not damage or removal of the tint. Played like a dream before, but is even better now.

Back