Slight binding

DHW

My core custom 24 binds ever so slightly at the nut. With a good lube job it's stable but it's not quite perfect. That said, it's so slight that I haven't been able to justify leaving it with a luthier for a week. The rest of the setup is right where I want it so no extra benefits there. I don't have nut files and have never done anything with nut slots. Is there an easy way to fix this without major risk of screwing the nut up? Otherwise I will wait until I move and have access to luthiers I can actually make an appointment with.

I've used one of these with good results in the past. I don't remember where I got mine but this looks similar. It has multiple sizes of little round files that match the size of the guitar strings. Sounds like the slot may need to be slightly larger so as long as you don't go crazy with it you should be fine. Mine cuts pretty slow so it allows some pretty precise work, just make sure you don't put alot of downward pressure and mess up the string height. In my experience any binding caused by the nut is generally the side wall so just find one that is a slightly larger size than the guitar string and work it down to where the string rests on the nut careful not to dig into the part where the string sits. Remember that with anything that you can't undo to always go a little at a time and check, then repeat.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_425647-47120-SGY-WELD12___?productId=50021986&pl=1&Ntt=welders+tip+cleaning

Also be aware of the correct angle of the slot - don't just cut it parallel to the neck - I believe nut slots should have an angle

I'm not sure on the angle. I usually just follow the slot already there down and just make it a tad wider. Seeing as its a Core model, the nut should be really close. Might just need a little work to keep the string from sticking.

Buy a set of strings that's one size thicker than the ones you want to use. If you want 10's on it get a set of 11's and gently scrape them thru the appropriate nut slots keeping the angle the same. Worth a shot! :)

Jim

Lube job? If you didn't use graphite that was a mistake, and *DO NOT SCRAPE A LARGER SET OF STRINGS THRU YOUR NUT SLOTS*, that most likely will just ruin the nut.
The nut is one of the most important parts of the setup equation, grind the slot too low and you've got trouble, grind too wide slots, more trouble. If graphite doesn't do the trick (pencil lead works perfect) and if you're not experienced in repair get with a luthier.

*No offense jimfisher but a really bad idea.

(pencil lead works perfect)
Indeed, I find an HB pencil does the trick every time and has done for yonks. It's cheap too, I nick mine from Argos or the bookies!!:cool:
$_35.JPG

I use the planet waves lubrikit, basically the same teflon/graphite grease as nut sauce. I found a bur on the string with the biggest problem on the leading edge of the nut. I look some 1000 grit and very carefully knocked that off and that greatly improved the situation. If I still have any issues I will take it in to a prs shop after we get moved but it's playing pretty darn good right now again.

I use the planet waves lubrikit, basically the same teflon/graphite grease as nut sauce. I found a bur on the string with the biggest problem on the leading edge of the nut. I look some 1000 grit and very carefully knocked that off and that greatly improved the situation. If I still have any issues I will take it in to a prs shop after we get moved but it's playing pretty darn good right now again.
Two thumbs up!

Back