Skills Pays Bills.

The triggers aren't comparable to weapons fire, they're usually external real or perceived words (or meanings thereof), actions or occurrences that cause a negative feedback loop in the brain, that causes anxiety and discouragement. Usually something that is traumatic or health-compromising. There are certain things that can cause life to be thrown off-balance, and cause emotional upheaval.

The way I usually cope with this is to try to maintain a calm heart despite my current situation. Focusing on others' problems, concerns or issues forces me to look beyond my own situation and reach out to others who may be in similar situations.

There are obvious connections in everything written above, but it takes the eyes to see it and ears to hear it.

Maintaining good mental hygiene requires serving others, which changes the universe, starting with perceptions, as I hear you say it. This is Truth.

Pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth. It prepares one for serving others, which breaks the juggernaut of self will, leading to liberation from life’s hells.

Mental hygiene is a fine balance between being patient, discerning, wise, reasonable, intelligent (read: not foolish or easily fooled), loving and kind. The obvious traps one might fall into regards poor mental health are unnecessary risk-taking behavior, promiscuousness, addictive or abusive behaviors, etc. Not to mention losing one's hair and teeth as obvious signs of declining-age hygiene.

I think older folks are at greater risk of this as age-related illnesses increase over time. Pain is usually a sign of a weakening physical being, whereas a person's mind can be sharp as long as he continues to take in knowledge and learn on an ongoing basis. The problem exists when old habits don't allow folks to think with cool heads, though perhaps one can collect their thoughts once the juggernaut of self-will, like a fever, breaks, and health is restored.

The other facet is, you don't usually put something in the oven only afterwards to immediately put it into the fridge. You usually serve what you've prepared to others, then consider saving the remainder where it can keep refrigerated until reheated again.

Also regards the juggernaut, you may be correct to some degree, though a vessel that was created for honorable purposes cannot change once it has been molded into its form. It can only resist additional molding, at which point the one who molds the vessel into its present shape must decide to start over and start with the clay once again, or discard the vessel. (Not my words. My teacher's words)

Pain is usually the result of overexertion, or resultant from straining against eventuality. Sometimes it seems futile to exert ourselves, but that is part of what is required of us. Perhaps the way I like to see this is, "work smarter, not harder." I usually don't follow what the world uses that molds us into who we are. Many people do, simply because that is how they perceive their work and how they interact with others.

Yet I think that old geezers (speaking for myself, and you if you'd like) such as ourselves need to break away from how the world expects us to conform to some of its debased standards, and be able to think for ourselves while providing for others by serving their needs.

Rather than seek a me-first attitude that is so prevalent in this world, we are actually being more upright in this manner and truthful regards how we stand firm against how the world tries to mold us to its standards.

While approaching things with an open-mind, there are some things that are unacceptable in my view that conflict with higher standards and laws that were written long before modern day. There exist certain codes of conduct and behavior one was expected to obey, not only for their own benefit, but for others folks they interacted with. Without describing these in detail, let's just say I adhere to a higher authority than what exists in today's laws. I realize that certain topics are off-limits and should not be part this forum, so I will happily bow out of this discussion if necessary.

About 4 seconds in, I stopped playing the video. There are folks who have gotten a bad rap in life for the choices they make, and truthfully, that is not how I might choose to live my life. From the vibe I got just viewing those 4 seconds I could tell this was about the angst some folks feel because of their choices, and how difficult it sometimes is to rise up above of the hand of cards we've previously been dealt in life and break the cycle of pain, suffering and loss.

When folks being to realize life isn't about living for money or pleasure, folks can begin to see the value of working towards a common goal...a peaceful enjoyable life together without divisiveness or the other conditions that plague the world today.

John Lennon once sang, "Call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

Not all pain is physical in nature.

It’s a world of woe, and there is a spankin’ plank fit for every booty.

There can be losses in life that are physic shocks, leading to awakening.

What is, is what is: life on life’s terms.

Not all pain is physical in nature.

It’s a world of woe, and there is a spankin’ plank fit for every booty.

There can be losses in life that are physic shocks, leading to awakening.

What is, is what is: life on life’s terms.

True, there is emotional pain. Although I'm not sure what you meant following world of woe, I'd prefer not to guess and realize that hard work is sometimes its own reward, but pain experienced from striving for desire or money is unnecessary, especially when it involves excess or lack of modesty.

If you're saying I need an old Strat with plank body beat-up guitar, I'll graciously let that slide by...I know the direction this takes and honestly, will drink the root beer now and tip the waitress kindly for her services.

You are correct that not everything is physical in nature, there exist other aspects of this universe that go beyond physical and reach into the unknown. We each experience an awakening when something transcends the physical and gives us insight into that unknown that we were not previously aware of. When the light bulb goes on and the "A-Ha!" occurs...so sayeth this Geezer...

It was quite liberating to realize my powerlessness. I haven’t been the same since.

Rusty,

The most important part of your story is that one can be loyal and happy if we remember to pour out our hearts if we feel the need to, so that the darkness within receives a little light. Likewise we can have a clean conscience if what we say helps us focus on more important things, like our future, while not dwelling on our past.

You've shared a rather emotional history of your past that is both sad, but reaches peoples' hearts. I think that if we strive to make a better future for ourselves, we will not be caught up in the "snares" or temptations of present day, and remembering the past examples of what we should have learned from when we were younger.

Your pain is evident, and I'm sorry you ever had to experience that. I think we each carry a burden inside that we don't let others see, whatever that may be.

I think my burden was disappointing my father when I was younger. Yep, that was it. Always have to prove to myself I can do better even when it hurts.

Although I do not know what you wish for or look for in life, I believe that your integrity, loyalty and endurance will help allow you to receive your reward someday.

Last edited:
Rusty,

A wise man once said (paraphrased), "In my weakness, there also is my power. What I wish to do is good, but bad is also present with me. I know that if I do bad, I can only hope for forgiveness, but if I do good, no one can accuse me of wrongdoing. Yet what is bad tempts me into wrongdoing and my strength that fights against it leaves me powerless. Why must my misery go on, if I am powerless to fight against wrongdoing and what tempts me?"
... .

7:23-25 says it all for me, and chap. 8

damn these ghost edits!— i looked and looked for fabric softener and man bun refs.

The dryer sheets and man bun refs were humor mentioned in other places, but didn't address the underlying facts you say...which speaks about the "ocean" of information, and the correct association you know just by reading and listening...

Back