Skills Pays Bills.

That’s Charlie Christian’s style and sound.

I could work that up with some wood shedding, but probably would corrupt it into something that sounded more like my fingers think. I distract easily.

The thing about Charlie Christian is his phrasing. The notes are not hard to map out, but the feel is everything.
He has a laid back loose style that’s perfect to the music.

That guy in the video is obviously influenced by Charlie Christian, and he does it pretty well in that setting.
The setting there is very hard to find nowadays. Benny Goodman small combo (with Christian, Lyle Hampton, Teddy Wilson, Gene Krupa, etc) records sound like that.

But yeah, I could fake that a little.

You're right, that is CC's style. Although I don't own any of his recordings myself, perhaps it might be wise for me to look into finding some of his music on amazon. The chunka-chunka rhythm style and subdued leads are likely what I'd personally need towards jump-starting my practice regimen again.

I've got some old Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton mp3s, but nothing of CC's music.

This style of playing reminds me of my Dad in his hay day! I played in a swing jazz band at 17 (trumpet and vocal). The sax player brought along this following tune, which I believe is the contents of a restaurant menu!

It was one of the more specific things Slim released during his lifetime, that has local significance to me. (Bagel Shop, next to one of the local "watering hole" restaurants/bars)

People often mistake when I might say "watering can," and they think, "watering hole." It's known as selective hearing when you hear one thing and think another.

Anyway, regards Rusty's being distracted easily, you might find that you could throw a few bucks at some chord charts and try to put that together, or refer to an online course that would make it easier for you.

Personally, I might benefit from this as well if I realized what comes with the territory is some concerted practice and listening skills. It may not be easy to listen to one's own heart and discern a good direction, but you need to use your head as well so that what your heart is saying is put through your fingers with some self-control.

I think that is where less practiced guitarists lack discipline, and what you might hear from me might sound more like noodling instead of melodic phrasing.

For those who know what note choices to make, therein exists the mind/heart connection.

Last edited:

...you might find that you could throw a few bucks at some chord charts and try to put that together, or refer to an online course that would make it easier for you...

Pretty sure I could learn that particular piece and solos without help.
Charlie Christian is a rite of passage my friends and I passed through about the second year of improv lab at College.
We also studied Howard Roberts, Johnny Smith, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, Tal Farlow, Herb Ellis, Gabor Zabo, read lines out of trumpet books, etc etc.

The point was to develop your own style back then, as they did.

Never quite got to the level of George Benson or Pat Metheny, but sure listened to a lot of it.

I no longer have the need to cop CC style. I don’t have call to play that stuff anymore. It would be counterproductive at this point in my so-called “career.”

When Al Dimeola, and Larry Coryell, broke into Fusion, most of us players followed that for a while, but none of that stuff was required of me when I was with The Patti Macdonald Orchestra and various ensemble work for 25 years.

I’m no longer a young Turk with anything to prove. I enjoy playing guitar and music more than ever, but don’t necessarily have any goal in “the biz” anymore.

I get invitations from old partners once in a while, and they ask me for specific things they know are in my wheelhouse.
Last weekend an old student of mine requested me to sideman with him. His simple request: “Bring your Telecaster.” We had a ball playing Country.

Reactions: jxe
Pretty sure I could learn that particular piece and solos without help.
Charlie Christian is a rite of passage my friends and I passed through about the second year of improv lab at College.
We also studied Howard Roberts, Johnny Smith, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, Tal Farlow, Herb Ellis, Gabor Zabo, read lines out of trumpet books, etc etc.

The point was to develop your own style back then, as they did.

Never quite got to the level of George Benson or Pat Metheny, but sure listened to a lot of it.

I no longer have the need to cop CC style. I don’t have call to play that stuff anymore. It would be counterproductive at this point in my so-called “career.”

When Al Dimeola, and Larry Coryell, broke into Fusion, most of us players followed that for a while, but none of that stuff was required of me when I was with The Patti Macdonald Orchestra and various ensemble work for 25 years.

I’m no longer a young Turk with anything to prove. I enjoy playing guitar and music more than ever, but don’t necessarily have any goal in “the biz” anymore.

I get invitations from old partners once in a while, and they ask me for specific things they know are in my wheelhouse.
Last weekend an old student of mine requested me to sideman with him. His simple request: “Bring your Telecaster.” We had a ball playing Country.

You've got quite a history. Wish I could say the same, but can only um...nope. :oops:o_O

I did study with one good teacher for several years, but lessons were expensive and my chops didn't keep up. Played for several years locally at an open-mic jam and owned the nicest gear, let others play through my amps, though no one asked to play through my guitars.

It was enjoyable until the host had to quit playing because of some brain TIAs from eating too much fast-food on his late night trips home from his touring circuit. BP went through the ceiling and the TIAs were the result. Was like a father to me who treated everyone nicely and was a true musician who nary had a bad word about anyone. A really likable guy. Not like what you'd watch for entertainment on TV. A much better example who put his mind and heart into his playing. You could tell the guy was good.

Have since branched out but only occasionally at one other open-mic. Also have some local friends who play but have limited schedules. We gather whenever we can and enjoy a meal, some beer, some laughs, and jam for a couple hours. Still nice to know there are good people who can help to improve and not treat you like you're another guy putting a dollar in their tip jar. That's vitally important nowadays, because you play for reason of loving to play, not just for the free food or tips at gigs.

[QUOTE="CandidPicker, post: 457046, member: 2701...We gather whenever we can and enjoy a meal, some beer, some laughs, and jam for a couple hours.
...[/QUOTE]

The best part of music involvement is the friendships and socialization.
Guitar is a lifelong pursuit.
There are parts of genres that used to interest me that no longer do, but music and guitar (and friends) still do.

The best part of music involvement is the friendships and socialization. Guitar is a lifelong pursuit.

There are parts of genres that used to interest me that no longer do, but music and guitar (and friends) still do.

This. I still think that if I could speak kindly of people and not defile myself with words that some folks say, I'd be imitating my mentors who knew the Golden Rule. Friendships and socialization are a large part of the music scene (I miss some of my younger days), but I'd hazard to say we're not oldsters waiting for our Dial-A-Ride to the codger's breakfast at the senior center yet...

My hands and fingers can still do what they need to practice and play, but when the day arrives that they won't be able to anymore, then I'd consider downsizing my gear simply because it would no longer hold an interest for me anymore. Emphasis on the "won't be able."

We’re not? Whew!

Music keeps me in the present moment.

If I slip back into my left brain there’s nothing to look forward to in there but old age, disease, and death.

Or looking back into your family tree asking where did we go wrong? Although I'm fascinated with my family's heritage, I often wonder if the past can tell me why my younger days were the way they were (why I did extraordinarily well in secondary school physics, but not so great in chemistry or biology).

I think staying in the present is sometimes difficult to do if we're continually reminded of the past, even in present day. The TV programming I often view is mostly about TV shows from the 70's and 80's, and current ones are about comedy, criminal investigation, construction, and cooking.

I think that physics had to do with my environment and what I could see, what existed in town and what laws or rules governed the nature of physics. Why Isaac Newton rationalized about the law of gravity when the apple fell on his head while sitting under the tree.

I tend to think that what we can tell from the past is, if that life doesn't pass you by, people will not only learn how to avoid rookie mistakes but also be convinced and be open to learning how history can be used as a way for understanding modern times. Essentially, the "Agua" of life that preserves you.

Again, this is only my viewpoint from what I know, but am always interested to learn of others' experiences and the paths they took to reach current day. I often find it a treat to listen to older folks speak about their fond memories of years past, in hopes of gleaning some wisdom from their conversations.

It also sows seeds of peace and understanding that bridges generational gaps, unlike a lot of controversy that is stirred up when we view the TV news. While I appreciate diversity, division does nothing but separate people and create tensions. People are way too tense nowadays. Perhaps the reason we like to unwind after a long day and try to sleep well though our best days are often behind us. o_O Hope your breakfast cereal was OK this morning, mine was.

barrel o laffs in here, is this what killed hard bop?

Birth of the Cool, killed hard bop. That, plus people couldn’t dance to jazz, but the kids could dance to Rock, which came out of R&B.
Nobody was patient enough to listen to Horace Silver’s harmonic understanding, and wouldn’t put up with Thelonius Monk’s antics.
Perry Como won.

Birth of the Cool, killed hard bop. That, plus people couldn’t dance to jazz, but the kids could dance to Rock, which came out of R&B.
Nobody was patient enough to listen to Horace Silver’s harmonic understanding, and wouldn’t put up with Thelonius Monk’s antics.
Perry Como won.

Yup.

Easy listening became the norm for the parental set in the 60's, but the younger generation was focusing on the British Invasion, which stemmed from southern blues and rockabilly.

I'm somewhat surprised that the Beat Generation from the late 50's didn't have a greater effect on the 60's, but each generation is often defined by its own genre of music, and so on...the 70's IMO, were the best years to be alive because the music scene flourished during the 70's whereas the early 80's brought disco, and later, glam and metal hair bands that were the next generation's defining moments. 90's brought the Seattle scene, and Lord only knows what the 00's and 10's are doing these days.

I'd hazard to say that my musical roots, much like the older folks on this forum, are in the 70's and earlier, though my mind, heart and physical being are in current day. (Please no Olivia Newton-John. Can't bother listening to that this morning...)

Rusty’s a Jazz Cat who’s on one of his 9 lives!;)

Les must be Tutankhamen’s cat, because he’s on his (mumble, ahem, cough, cough) life.

“There can be only one”

Thinking and doing will definitely keep one from the present moment.

After learning the craft and “language” (if one wishes to be an ensemble player) of music, comes the good part (and the whole point, for me): the ability to emote through your instrument, let go, and just BE.

When I was a kid all that took was whamming away on an E chord with an acoustic guitar, and feeling it shake. It was like looking at clouds.
Kids are in the present moment. Later, we learn to be self-conscious and are banned from the Garden of Eden, until we relearn to be children in the present moment again.

This is true. We each become like children again after a point in time, or so the world would lead us to believe. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with being childlike but retaining the wisdom of a person much older. Experience protects one against foolish behavior, and I think that even young people can be happy despite the various pressures they may experience in life. And there is a lot of that, from school, to social skills, to dating, to the workplace, to peer pressure, a lot of it.

The craft and language of music are something else, and being socially acceptable includes speaking in language that Pete Thorn recently blogged about on YT. Being successful as a musician means being a kind-hearted person who doesn't come across like an a$$hat. (I still have difficulty with that myself, sometimes). My feeling of this is often compared to that of a "used car salesman." Why would anybody buy something from an aggressive salesman who is only looking to sell you a car? The same applies for musicians. Successful musicians really don't blow smoke at you, debate with you, and talk out of their hats. They don't groom you so that you end up paying for something they tried selling to you.

My feeling is that someone who practices his craft is also a good teacher. His craft may also include maintaining and repairing his gear or working with associated pros who can. (According to the folks from "This Old House") Regards my knowledge of music itself, that is mostly limited to knowing song titles and songwriters' or bands' names. A self-taught musicologist, to some respects.

However, there is much more that music involves, and that involves a music education that includes theory, technique, among other details of music. And, like any "well-traveled" musician, he or she knows what students will appreciate, whether they are liked among their peers, whether they fall into the same old bad habits they learned and couldn't break away from, or they remember that the best teacher is not from classrooms or book knowledge, it involves living according to specific values that they can derive from living disciplined lives, and applying and imitating principles they've already been taught safely each time they step up on stage.

And perhaps, when we address our audience, we need to remember that unless we keep it interesting they will drift and nod. I think that as single musicians who are not "looking" towards getting the girl, but more towards only the gig, perhaps we should realize the relationships we have with our friends may be much more important and longer-lasting than that temporary moment of pleasure and suffering we experience when we are "looking" toward what involves our desires. Of course, there is much more to music and musicianship than seeking fame or fortune. If one loves what they do, it may not be all that difficult to be part of the music scene without the associated things that often go wrong with people who aren't the best examples. Again, that is where we need to be discerning and careful who we make friends with, simply because they may not have our best interests at heart. And, yes, it is wise to protect yourself when others draw you into debates or discussions that could prove detrimental to you.

Sorry for the long read, sometimes once I get started it isn't quite easy to know when to set my work aside and tend towards other matters.

Last edited:
Though I have taught privately, at stores, and briefly at UCSC, I don’t think of myself as a particularly good teacher. Somehow I always wanted to give them their money’s worth and try to cram them full in an hour.

Much better to have patience and work on ONE concept, then burnish it at the next lesson.

Not sure I’m wired for teaching. I no longer teach. It got to be kind of a drag (for me).

Though I have taught privately, at stores, and briefly at UCSC, I don’t think of myself as a particularly good teacher. Somehow I always wanted to give them their money’s worth and try to cram them full in an hour.

Much better to have patience and work on ONE concept, then burnish it at the next lesson.

Not sure I’m wired for teaching. I no longer teach. It got to be kind of a drag (for me).

Kind of on your side, Rusty. I'd like to think I have patience to understand one main concept than many unconnected ones. Perhaps that is one reason why my distaste for watching news segments on TV is just that. As BB King once said in song, "There has to be a better world somewhere..." The problem with being patient means you need to wait for something, whether it be service, justice, better times ahead. There are way too many distractions (as you've said) that cause us to lose focus when being patient is required.

Watching the news is like being browbeaten for someone or something else's wrongdoing. Makes sense, doesn't it? Kind of fascinates me that news anchors can speak rapid-fire news segments that pummel their audience into submission, then they report how such and such a team beat this other team.

Hey, if I feel like being beaten into submission, at least provide some anesthetic to dull the pain so I don't feel the pounding they're doing. Oh, that's right. That's why comedy and recreational substances takes the edge off, until they say that lawyers can make insurance companies pay us for the injuries and suffering, and until we need rehab.

No thanks. I know that we're only being sized up for the next smackdown.

I'll just nurse my one drink and sit by myself practicing so the world won't bother knocking us around like rag dolls. Aggressions aside, the world we view on the 10 PM news isn't an invite into your home, nor does it make me any stronger when my ears and eyes view this.

Also, since I'm not a doctor or have ever needed unnecessary surgery, have never been in the military, nor required PTSD treatment, perhaps my view sounds much like Alan Alda's from MASH. Except this isn't Korea. Only the SE guitar one of you may be are holding while practicing makes the connection. You can keep your 5 cents this time.

One of my friends once said regards working on a concept is to try this: "If you're hammering away at one point you're trying to make, stop when you've sufficiently driven the nail home. Otherwise you're just making dents in the surrounding wood."

Yeah, you can borrow that. You can also borrow my accordion if the mood strikes, but I think its at the bottom of a lake somewhere.

EDIT: You'll need to forgive an old guy who reads your words and connects the dots in a way you might not expect. The kind of guy who thinks dryer sheets should be fragrance free when you do the laundry. And that old habits are not necessarily bad. They're like what your Dad taught you that didn't quite sink in the first time, but you remembered later in life.

Last edited:
You got me at “...dryer sheets should be fragrance free...”

Years ago I was amused at the ads for “natural scent Right Guard Deoderant.”
What would that be, exactly? Like a locker room? Sweaty arm pits?

A person doesn’t have to go to war to have PTSD. I’m convinced that anybody who has been on the planet for a while probably has acquired at least PTS.
The “D” component (disorder) is a result of a false negative belief system about the self (for instance, rape victims who take on guilt because somebody might suspect they were dressed too provocatively).
It skews the reality and is triggered by non-causality cues (like rapid fire connections like associating SE models with Korea).

For myself, I make amends by pointedly buying products made-in-Vietnam, because we trashed the place when I was there. If those poor people want to experiment with Capitalism now, I can afford to support that effort in a limited way with my wallet, even though they resisted having Capitalism rammed down their throats fifty years ago.

Anyway I’ll close this skree before drawing a penalty for waxing political.

Rusty,

I think the dryer sheets was merely a reference or metaphor for what you said. TBH, I've cheated death 4 times in my life, and survived each time. I don't know how I was allowed to live each time, because each time was different, some could have been a rather nasty demise, but each a rather harrowing experience. We'll swap stories some other time. And also, some of my experience (possibly the result of these traumas) does involves a mild thought processing disorder that associates catch phrases or buzzwords in a non-directive fashion. It stems from my youth and not maturing socially until my mid-20s.

You might note that sometimes people when stressed may experience more random thought patterns. My doctor tells me it's similar to "cocktail party syndrome," where a person may enjoy several different conversations with people and try to make sense of their evening once they've stepped away from the gathering and gone home. They're still worked up from the previous part of the evening, and it's like a light bulb was switched on, and can't be switched off. They struggle to unwind so they can sleep, but are still reliving the previous evening in their thoughts over and over again.

Sometimes after a busy day at work, this occurs. What helps solve this problem is a brisk walk for about 20 to 30 minutes. It helps clear the mind and settles the nerves. It also helps cope with any lingering aggression one may have. Unfortunately, today, I needed to stay put in my apartment awaiting a guitar effect I had mentioned in a previous post and finally was able to rework my effects board satisfactorily. I'd guess that the dryer sheet reference and mentioning of an SE Korean guitar was my reading your words from your earlier post and trying to make sense of it, much the same way my "cocktail party syndrome" from my previous day's work had caused the random thought process.

It is something many younger people experience when they are teens who happen to party every so often. The stress of partying and trauma can have a detrimental effect over time if the teens brains don't hardwire correctly, and this may follow them during later life. Such was my case. FTR, I don't follow current fashion trends like man buns or tight pants. Just viewing your avatar reassures me you may be a hip old guy without the pony tail or trendy clothes. (Don't worry, I only wear a business suit to meetings and prefer cargo pants at work and cotton sweatpants/sweatshirt at home. It's just my preference and keeps me warm enough when the thermostat needs turning down, or nothing is in the oven....man buns WTF?)

That being said, I'm personally neutral towards politics. While I support law enforcement and obey the laws designed to protect people in general, am honest when paying my taxes, and appreciate public services that are provided for people, I find that certain emotional triggers IRL and what I view or read in the media may be off-putting, and sometimes only create aggression.

Coping with the triggers is somewhat of a challenge, because if the response comes across as oddball humor, it's noticeable. My feeling is that I'm relatively educated like many folks are, but use my creativity in words rather than music. And that may not necessarily be a bad thing, it just needs some self-control and judicious use of the delete key and edit features if something does not feel like it should be posted.

Regards Vietnam, my Dad was a USAR officer who retired as a full colonel in the mid-80s. My Dad never saw combat, nor served overseas. My Dad's job in the USAR was training the drill sergeants who trained the soldiers how to survive while on duty overseas. My Dad sorrowfully described the times when he would watch the cargo aircraft arrive back from the west coast, bringing back soldiers who had completed their tour. He also tearfully described his feelings as he watched flag-draped coffins arrive off the tarmac. It tore him up inside, because Dad felt that he had failed to do his job correctly training the sergeants who were supposed to have trained the men.

Other than that, Dad didn't speak much about his service in the USAR. Dad detested violence and war, but was aware that his scholarship through college was based on ROTC, and that someday he might need face the facts that his military service didn't make him a man, only that his family was cared for and their needs fulfilled. Being a good father to his children was what our family defined my Dad's role as being a man.

Regards myself, I was fortunate enough to finish high school after the Vietnam conflict ended, and was too old for the Panama/Noriega incidents, as well as Desert Storm. Part of who I am is based on my work and hobbies, not by who I am in the community or public eye. Part of who I am is not based on a desire for notoriety, nor fame, nor riches, nor position.

There are far too many people who look for these things in life, and never are satisfied with what they attain. They complain when they don't get what they want, thrive on challenge, and are addicted to "winning."

I think that finding happiness and peace within one's own life is realizing that no matter how much one tries to make positive changes for oneself, there are a number of people who will challenge you to do more of what they want so that what you receive in return is only lip service. Sometimes they look for any weakness they can exploit and are very quick in finding fault with what people say or do. They honor others with praise, but they are empty words with little substance behind them. "Nice job, you tried."

To reassure you, no, I'm not depressed, but only tired. Perhaps I should appreciate why my Dad used to say at day's end, "Another day, another dollar. What's leftover in the fridge?" (My coping mechanism rationalizing what this is worth in words...others call it their "viewpoint" or "2 cents." It's only my contribution to this forum, perhaps worth a dollar to some, nothing to others.)

Last edited:
...try to make sense of their evening once they've stepped away from the gathering and gone home. They're still worked up from the previous part of the evening, and it's like a light bulb was switched on, and can't be switched off. They struggle to unwind so they can sleep, but are still reliving the previous evening in their thoughts over and over again.

After a gig, my mind is on fire for hours.

Nothing is as exhausting to me as all the insincere talk at a party.

And yes, “man buns” WTF!!!

i feel you cp, trigger trigger bang bang bang.

The triggers aren't comparable to weapons fire, they're usually external real or perceived words (or meanings thereof), actions or occurrences that cause a negative feedback loop in the brain, that causes anxiety and discouragement. Usually something that is traumatic or health-compromising. There are certain things that can cause life to be thrown off-balance, and cause emotional upheaval.

The way I usually cope with this is to try to maintain a calm heart despite my current situation. Focusing on others' problems, concerns or issues forces me to look beyond my own situation and reach out to others who may be in similar situations. Although I'm not referring to "group therapy," it is much easier to find comfort and reassurance realizing that my situation is only temporary, and will improve if I choose to maintain a positive attitude.

Doctors say that people who experience pain do best when they don't dwell on the pain itself, but focus outwardly on helping others find comfort with their problems. Perhaps that is what may need to happen the next few days.

Rusty seems to be the kind of guy you could pour your heart out to and he would listen. I think I need to do a little of that regards my prayers this evening and hope that the big guy upstairs is listening...(not intended as a patent statement endorsing such activity, rather a manner of asking for direction if needed)

After a gig, my mind is on fire for hours.

Nothing is as exhausting to me as all the insincere talk at a party.

And yes, “man buns” WTF!!!

Heh. Was writing that and watched my train of thought progress into an unintended WTF comment...

Sometimes it becomes a burden. Kind of like ordering a nice meal in a restaurant, eating to satisfaction, and realizing you just consumed twice your caloric intake for the day. Just like ordering a nice meal, I prefer to think of what went into it...what ingredients were included, how it was prepared, and how beautiful the presentation was...not focusing on the drama in the kitchen behind the scenes...!

Personally, I think the difference between cocktail party syndrome and not having enough balance in one's life is simply a matter of thinking like a pastry chef...one measures carefully what he puts into his recipe, prepares the dish, and plates it for his guests. A chef needs to balance what he serves with a measure of knowledge vs. intuition. If he relies solely on intuition, knowledge can't shine through. If he relies solely on knowledge, his gut feeling can't direct him correctly, much like his trained conscience might.

If the chef is a master chef, he or she won't be toying around with his/her guests, but asking for feedback to help him/her improve. That tends to sow seeds of peaceful existence that will grow into something beautiful rather than cause tensions or scripted drama which is classic in today's world.

P.S. Remind me that it's almost spring and I can soon stop wearing my silly Mr. Roger's sweater to gigs. Everyone else, see ya!

Last edited:
..anxiety and discouragement. Usually something that is traumatic or health-compromising. There are certain things that can cause life to be thrown off-balance, and cause emotional upheaval.

The way I usually cope with this is to try to maintain a calm heart despite my current situation. Focusing on others' problems, concerns or issues forces me to look beyond my own situation and reach out to others who may be in similar situations. Although I'm not referring to "group therapy," it is much easier to find comfort and reassurance realizing that my situation is only temporary, and will improve if I choose to maintain a positive attitude.

Doctors say that people who experience pain do best when they don't dwell on the pain itself, but focus outwardly on helping others find comfort with their problems. Perhaps that is what may need to happen the next few days.

Rusty seems to be the kind of guy you could pour your heart out to and he would listen...

There are obvious connections in everything written above, but it takes the eyes to see it and ears to hear it.

Maintaining good mental hygiene requires serving others, which changes the universe, starting with perceptions, as I hear you say it. This is Truth.

Pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth. It prepares one for serving others, which breaks the juggernaut of self will, leading to liberation from life’s hells.

Back