Skills Pays Bills.

My job skills were more industrial. Yes they bought the house and fed the kids, kept momma in a fresh Buick, etc.

In the video I hear Pat Martino influences, though in a swinging minor blues Django can’t be denied (at least in the head).

When I came to California I wanted to play jazz in the worst way. Now, I DO!

Some of those licks and runs are very Trey Anastasio like.

My job skills were more industrial. Yes they bought the house and fed the kids, kept momma in a fresh Buick, etc.

In the video I hear Pat Martino influences, though in a swinging minor blues Django can’t be denied (at least in the head).

When I came to California I wanted to play jazz in the worst way. Now, I DO!

Worked as a machinist, or mechanic? Your reluctance to tell us upfront speaks well of your integrity. :)

Concur with the Pat Martino influence, although have not heard enough Django myself to be discerning.

Wished to be more of a jazz guitarist myself, but have only cultivated a bluesy, angular style of so-called jazz. Not traditional or could be described as any particular jazz genre. Perhaps with some practice, it might be possible to build upon what I know and create my own form of jazz...perhaps that's the ticket...

How are your chops, Rusty? (pardon the slightly obvious pun)

Worked as a machinist, or mechanic? Your reluctance to tell us upfront speaks well of your integrity. :)

Concur with the Pat Martino influence, although have not heard enough Django myself to be discerning.

Wished to be more of a jazz guitarist myself, but have only cultivated a bluesy, angular style of so-called jazz. Not traditional or could be described as any particular jazz genre. Perhaps with some practice, it might be possible to build upon what I know and create my own form of jazz...perhaps that's the ticket...

How are your chops, Rusty? (pardon the slightly obvious pun)

I’d say I worked in factories and machine shops as a maintenance mechanic, electrician, or sometimes even a manager.
Also worked thirty years as a utility man for a municipal water district, which involved digging up streets and fixing leaks, installing high pressure water mains and services, taking care of fleet maintenance, and troubleshooting motor control centers, installing computerized SCADA systems, etc etc etc.
This all required multiple certifications in water treatment and distribution, welding, electrical codes, mechanical/hydraulic/pneumatic systems, etc etc.
Started there as a ditch digger/meter reader, finished as a field supervisor.

Took an early retirement at 58 to caretake my late wife (lung cancer), 3 years after our middle son passed from lymphoma.

I kept up as a local musical mercenary sideman-at-large. Mostly drink side jazz, bigband pop, and/or funk&soul in the local club wars.

My “chops” are in decline now, at 68. But I keep my hand in as a utility hack with old clients and recurring “old standards” projects, church worship songs for a small congregation, various biker church events, and a smattering of pickup sideman duties in wallpaper jazz and/or occasional sitting in for blues/soul/funk substitute venues.

I was never a smokin’ hot bebop jazz guy, but was known locally as a pop guy who can read a little and show up on time. Done some demo studio, and road trips (years ago).

Although this guy smokes me, that's exactly how I like use my HB. Straight Jazz lines, although I push the gain a little to fatten up the tone. That guy is rapid fire, excellent and diverse display of chops.

A little brighter than an L5 but who says you can't do jazz on a PRS.

I’d say I worked in factories and machine shops as a maintenance mechanic, electrician, or sometimes even a manager.
Also worked thirty years as a utility man for a municipal water district, which involved digging up streets and fixing leaks, installing high pressure water mains and services, taking care of fleet maintenance, and troubleshooting motor control centers, installing computerized SCADA systems, etc etc etc.
This all required multiple certifications in water treatment and distribution, welding, electrical codes, mechanical/hydraulic/pneumatic systems, etc etc.
Started there as a ditch digger/meter reader, finished as a field supervisor.

Took an early retirement at 58 to caretake my late wife (lung cancer), 3 years after our middle son passed from lymphoma.

I kept up as a local musical mercenary sideman-at-large. Mostly drink side jazz, bigband pop, and/or funk&soul in the local club wars.

My “chops” are in decline now, at 68. But I keep my hand in as a utility hack with old clients and recurring “old standards” projects, church worship songs for a small congregation, various biker church events, and a smattering of pickup sideman duties in wallpaper jazz and/or occasional sitting in for blues/soul/funk substitute venues.

I was never a smokin’ hot bebop jazz guy, but was known locally as a pop guy who can read a little and show up on time. Done some demo studio, and road trips (years ago).

Can you do something like this?

One of my female friends mentioned this and was hankering for a fried egg one...I said I'd release the video for others to see and check back with her once the video received some airplay...I was thinking of one myself but prefer to protect my teeth and only attempt rice cereal or frosted flakes...

Last edited:
That’s Charlie Christian’s style and sound.

I could work that up with some wood shedding, but probably would corrupt it into something that sounded more like my fingers think. I distract easily.

The thing about Charlie Christian is his phrasing. The notes are not hard to map out, but the feel is everything.
He has a laid back loose style that’s perfect to the music.

That guy in the video is obviously influenced by Charlie Christian, and he does it pretty well in that setting.
The setting there is very hard to find nowadays. Benny Goodman small combo (with Christian, Lyle Hampton, Teddy Wilson, Gene Krupa, etc) records sound like that.

But yeah, I could fake that a little.

Can you do something like this?

One of my female friends mentioned this and was hankering for a fried egg one...I said I'd release the video for others to see and check back with her once the video received some airplay...I was thinking of one myself but prefer to protect my teeth and only attempt rice cereal or frosted flakes...

This style of playing reminds me of my Dad in his hay day! I played in a swing jazz band at 17 (trumpet and vocal). The sax player brought along this following tune, which I believe is the contents of a restaurant menu!

Back