Sizzling B string on new Silver Sky

json

Hello. I just got a brand new Silver Sky with maple fretboard. I have this odd issue where the B string has a kind of sizzle sound to it when played fretted. The action is just a bit above 4/64" on the high E at fret 12 to 5/64" on the low E. The relief is about .006 at the 8th fret but I have tried both adjusting relief and saddle height while maintaining roughly the same action to no avail.

But, I noticed that once I loosened the trem screws so that the bridge started to float a bit, that sizzle almost goes away. Floating the bridge a little doesn't really raise the action so I don't think it's a matter of string height. The feet of the saddles are balanced and making contact. I have checked that there are no burs in the saddles. I've even put a piece of paper under the string where it sits on the saddle and the issue is still there (when the trem is decked). Any idea what issue this might point to?

Jason

Does the sizzle go away at any point on the neck, or is it present all the way up the fretboard? It could be a high fret. Because floating the term raised the action a bit and reduced the buzz, you may need something as simple as a saddle tweak or a small turn on the truss rod.

Does the sizzle go away at any point on the neck, or is it present all the way up the fretboard? It could be a high fret. Because floating the term raised the action a bit and reduced the buzz, you may need something as simple as a saddle tweak or a small turn on the truss rod.
Well I didn't think that was it but I did just deck the trem again and raise the B saddle some. The sizzle didn't go away but it did become less noticeable. I've gone over the frets with a fret rocker and they seem pretty level.

This is my first guitar with a 7.25 radius. Does a rounder fretboard in general require a little higher action? Since the fret under the string is at more of an angle I could see why that might be the case. I'm comparing the action and what I hear with three other American made guitars that I have but they are all 9.5+.

Problem fixed. I took the neck off to inspect the pocket and all looked good. I put the neck back on and voila. No more sizzle. Maybe the neck wasn't seated well.

Any idea what the two center holes in neck are for? What about that one in the center of the neck pocket. They seem kind of pointless.

laQYqRy.jpg

Problem fixed. I took the neck off to inspect the pocket and all looked good. I put the neck back on and voila. No more sizzle. Maybe the neck wasn't seated well.

Any idea what the two center holes in neck are for? What about that one in the center of the neck pocket. They seem kind of pointless.

laQYqRy.jpg
Not sure about PRS, but it isn’t uncommon to have extra small holes to hang stuff during finishing.

Not sure I’d have had the guts to do that for a buzzing string, but glad to hear it resolved the issue. Congrats!

Congrats on the repair. The holes are likely indexing points to assure alignment on tools during construction or, as mentioned. to suspend the guitar for finishing.

Back