Six month old CE showing fret wear already

marmatkat

Hi Folks,

I have a NOS 2017 CE that I've been playing for 1/2 a year now, and I really like it. However, I've noticed fret wear (notches) on the G string at the first and second frets, and it seems early for wear to be showing up so soon. I thought the alloy was strong, but this is a little disappointing.

My playing: I'm in a new band that practices once a week or so for 3 hours, and I practice on my own daily, maybe 1/2 an hour to an hour a day. A mix of lead and rhythm. Rock covers, which as you know have open E, A, and D chords depending on the song.

So my question is, is this is a typical amount of wear for my amount of playing? It would suck to have to get a fret job on a guitar that's not played very heavily!

Thanks very much.

P.S. I use D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Wound, Super Light, 09-42 .

KMeouK8j_o.jpg

YtalI0qg_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I have a NOS 2017 CE that I've been playing for 1/2 a year now, and I really like it. However, I've noticed fret wear (notches) on the G string at the first and second frets, and it seems early for wear to be showing up so soon. I thought the alloy was strong, but this is a little disappointing.

My playing: I'm in a new band that practices once a week or so for 3 hours, and I practice on my own daily, maybe 1/2 an hour to an hour a day. A mix of lead and rhythm. Rock covers, which as you know have open E, A, and D chords depending on the song.

So my question is, is this is a typical amount of wear for my amount of playing? It would suck to have to get a fret job on a guitar that's not played very heavily!

Thanks very much.

I don't know how much wear you have or what Strings you use but if you are using hard Steel Strings, then you may have more than expected wear. The big cause of excessive fret wear is where the material of the String is harder than the metal of the fret. Bending and Capo's (especially if the Capo is left on the guitar) can all wear the fret down faster with 'hard' Steel strings. If you use Nickel strings for example, the fret being harder than metal in the string will wear the string instead and thus your frets will last a LOT longer.

A lot of strings are made of Stainless steel to last longer and not break - some will have nickel wound around the thicker 3 strings but the thin strings are made of stainless steel and of a harder material than the frets. I don't know how bad your frets are and whether they need a bit of a polish or more. If its a concern though, I would suggest you look at the strings you are using and maybe change to a different type? Ideally, you want the string wearing as these are easily replaced and, for a lot of people, regularly enough that they won't wear out despite being 'softer'. Its easier to replace strings than frets too...

I don't know how much wear you have or what Strings you use but if you are using hard Steel Strings, then you may have more than expected wear.
Oops - I should have said what strings. I use D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Wound, Super Light, 09-42, which are pretty common, I think. They should not be a problem, right? Thanks.

Pro tip: Buy more PRS to spread the use out.

:D

Really, that’s a fair amount of playing on a single guitar, but I wouldn’t be worried about the appearance of some wear on the frets... should be a long time before you have any impact on playability.

I second this...fret wear does not automatically equal string buzzing. It will be quite a while before you start having playabilty issues, and when you do, have the frets releveled. Until then, play & enjoy!

By my math that seems to be around 260 hours of playing so far. That seems fast to have that kind of fret wear already given your choice of strings. Especially since I’ve read PRS uses the hardest fret material available short of stainless. Maybe a technique issue but even still...I put more hours on my guitar every week than you and haven’t experienced that kind of wear even on a Strat. Alloys can vary some as they are made so I wonder if there just isn’t a good “mix” in the batch that your frets came from? I’m a machinist with metallurgy experience and that is a definite possibility. Technique is most likely the culprit however.

That does sound excessive for such a short time. Whilst those strings are 'nickel-wound' that only relates to the 3 thicker strings and the 3 non-wound are plain steel. Even so, you shouldn't have that wear - even with 'bad' technique. Unless you are pressing the string hard into the fret, trying to push the string through the fretboard, then I would and/or could understand the wear...

I've noticed fret wear (notches) on the G string at the first and second frets, and it seems early for wear to be showing up so soon.

I'd love to see a picture. Fret wear shouldn't be confused with notches. Notches sounds like something hit your frets.

Re: "notches": That was my term, and I'm probably misusing it.

Q: How do I upload a pic? I didn't see a place to do so, and I'm a newbie without URL linking privileges.

Re: a bad batch of frets from PRS, is there any way I could check this, say by serial number?

Kinda' bums me out - not sure what to do :-/

Thanks

sounds like you play that axe heaps... Maybe just give it a fret level/dress, and one day when there isn't enough left to dress, refret it with SS

That is nowhere near enough use to produce fret wear in 6 months. I suspect though, that you are using the downstairs end most of the time?
When I was using one guitar for 2 hrs per day (average) it still took me 4 years to make any impression on the frets. Though I dont use the downstairs end so much.

As others have said, cultivating a lighter touch could go a long way. Also, I agree that wear that is showing probably wont affect function/setup etc at all for a long time yet.

I would be pretty surprised that it would be down to a 'bad batch' of the alloy for the fret. Sounds like you are definitely putting the hours on that guitar, so it will certainly be getting some wear. Could be down to technique and what you are playing. My Wife's step dad plays a lot and gigs regularly, but he also does an awful lot of hammer ons and pull offs on the g string. He goes through frets in no time, putting big divots in the frets all the way down the neck on the g string.
A bit of visible wear flattening off the top of the frets and even some visible notches shouldn't be a problem for a while though, all of my guitars have some evidence of this, just keep on playing until it starts to affect the playability or sound.

Re: "notches": That was my term, and I'm probably misusing it.

Q: How do I upload a pic? I didn't see a place to do so, and I'm a newbie without URL linking privileges.

Re: a bad batch of frets from PRS, is there any way I could check this, say by serial number?

Kinda' bums me out - not sure what to do :-/

Thanks
I would call PRS and explain the situation. From what I understand, they are too notch folks and will do the right thing. Now that doesn’t mean they’ll fix the problem if they feel it isn’t their fault but I hear they have integrity. In any case, it’ll be much more useful than asking opinions on a forum. For example, some think that averaging 10 hours of playing a week is a lot of playing! Additionally, PRS doesn’t make their own fretwire, I would be surprised if they even checked the hardness of each shipment. They may have had other complaints. Do yourself a favor and just call them.

Please explain your experience in metallurgy, foundry operations and manufacturing that leads you to this conclusion.

Um, I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition!

Though I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and have spent 23 years working in aerospace, so I know a little bit about material specifications

Um, I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition!

Though I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and have spent 23 years working in aerospace, so I know a little bit about material specifications
My point is that anyone can say whatever they want in these forums and, often, counterproductive to actually helping the OP. Your degree and experience, although nice in their own right, doesn't really qualify you to make that statement. Ask your R & D machinists. As for the Spanish Inquisition, if you contradict someone else's advice you really should be able to back it up. Otherwise it comes across as someone just wanting to hear themselves talk. I guarantee you wouldn't sit in a meeting at work and utter statements without something to back it up. Manufacturing errors occur all the time, everywhere. I bet it hasn't been very long since whatever company you work for had to reject parts due to them being out of spec.

My point is that anyone can say whatever they want in these forums and, often, counterproductive to actually helping the OP. Your degree and experience, although nice in their own right, doesn't really qualify you to make that statement. Ask your R & D machinists. As for the Spanish Inquisition, if you contradict someone else's advice you really should be able to back it up. Otherwise it comes across as someone just wanting to hear themselves talk. I guarantee you wouldn't sit in a meeting at work and utter statements without something to back it up. Manufacturing errors occur all the time, everywhere. I bet it hasn't been very long since whatever company you work for had to reject parts due to them being out of spec.

Ease up just a bit, Cy. The original opinion was an opinion. The contradicting opinion was an opinion. Neither had, not require, evidence. This is a brainstorming session, nothing more. Opinions don't get precedence because they predate other opinions.

I think everyone here is trying to help. And good on you for also trying to help.

In any case, I'd recommend talking to PRS about any concerns. They are more knowledgeable than any of us.

I didn't think I was being counterproductive to helping the OP. Without actually seeing the wear it is hard to give a definitive response. His idea of wear will be different to mine, so I was fairly neutral in my response I thought.
I did say that I would be pretty surprised that it would be down to the material specification. I didn't rule it out, I didn't say it was definitely not, I didn't insist that I was right. I just thought that to suggest that abnormal wear would be due to out of specification fret wire material was fairly unlikely.

Back