Singlecut to replace a LP

FennRx

Gibson Fanboy
I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but since I am now GASing pretty hard for the new S2 SC I'll ask anyways. :hello:

After being thoroughly impressed with my SE C24, I am considering making PRS my main squeeze. The only problem is that I am Les Paul guy through and through. So now I am wondering how close does the 25 inch scale SC get to a LP type tone vs the 24.5? One option is the S2. But I'm thinking I could try to find a used stripped 58, which would be about the highest I could go price-wise. Or I'm thinking I could find an SE 245 and upgrade the pickups with some pricey, boo-teek PAF clones like WCRs or Throbaks (both of which I find to be awesome :top:)

In my opinion try to find an SC Ted....it's as close to the vintage Les Paul vibe as you are going to find and they were all 24.5" scale lengths and came with Wide Fat necks; none of this "pattern" stuff... :flute:

The 2 piece bridge on the Stripped 58 delivers a much closer sound to the one you're used to than the wrap around one piece bridge (that IIRC is on the Ted).

It's woodier and more vintage sounding.

I can't tell the difference between a Pattern and WF neck and I've had many WFs and a few Pattern necks.

The S2 SC is supposedly an SC 250 in S2 outfit, so it'll be leaning towards the more modern "PRS sound" rather than the classic, woody LP tone. It won't be a spot-on replacement for the LP.

I'd say at least, get yourself an SC 245 or the SC 58, Stripped 58 etc. They'll sound closer to the LP.

I have replaced my Les Paul standard with a stripped 58 in the last few weeks. I had the Les paul for 10 years never completely happy with Its sound. I replaced the pickups twice with quality pickups (bareknuckle) and also replaced the caps and pots. Still there was something. It just didn't have the sound that was in my head. After getting my 2011 custom 24 earlier this year I knew PRS was the way to go. The stripped 58's tone is superb. and It stays in tune better than any Les paul.

I made it a point so as to replace a Les Paul Standard. The same featured stripped 58 during the last few weeks, specifically.

I come from the Les Paul world and I have a 2006 PRS Singlecut which I am perfectly happy with. Still getting used to the two volume controls being in the top positions.
Those S2 Singlecuts look nice in the photos. If I didn't have my 2006 I would certainly look into the new S2 Singlecuts.

My experience: I recently picked up an SE245, and it kills my Les Paul even with the stock pickups (the LP has the Slash Anico 2 in the bridge and one of the Burstbuckers in the neck, can't remember which number).
It plays better bu in a very similar and familiar way, has much better fretwork, feels nicer, sounds better, looks better (subjective, I know) and is built better. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but from what I've seen going up to one of the core models would just improve upon these vaiables and distance the guitar even further from an LP.

The 2 piece bridge on the Stripped 58 delivers a much closer sound to the one you're used to than the wrap around one piece bridge (that IIRC is on the Ted).

It's woodier and more vintage sounding.

I can't tell the difference between a Pattern and WF neck and I've had many WFs and a few Pattern necks.

I'm odd man out because I actually find the wrap bridge on the SC Ted to be more "Les-Paul-ish" than the two piece on my SC-58. Or maybe it's the sum of the parts that makes it more LP like.

Having said that, my SC-58 takes a backseat to no Les Paul. It just is more of a departure to me anyway...

The only problem is that I am Les Paul guy through and through.

Then keep or buy a LP. Appreciate PRSs for what they do, and Gibsons for what they do. One will never sound exactly like the other, and you will always crave what you really want. This is a lesson that took me years and lots of wasted $$$ to find out. I was given this advice years ago on TGP, but had to find out the hard way for myself. :redface:

Love My LP and my Se 245 for different reasons but they are similar in a lot
Of ways as well. I don't know that i can say the 245 would be a replacement or alternative to my LP but if I didn't have an LP or could afford one the the 245 would be a close fit.

Back