Singlecut S2 Tonal Issues

That was my experience when investigating the S2 line as well...blah, bland, anemic sounding etc. I own all core models and have never once had any issues with tone or pups. I currently have 4 cores and have owned over 15 cores over the years. Great track record with PRS, couldn't ask for anything better. My concern with the S2 line is that they are suppose to be designed to "introduce" a potential buyer into the PRS family (core models) but instead they are being introduced into new a line of Guitars presented with a whole new set of problems like pup swaps, pot swaps, tuner swaps, switch swaps, tremolo swaps etc. Is this the kind of results PRS is expecting from potential buyers? Might as well spend your good hard-earned money on a core model in the first place. You can upgrade the hell out of an S2, but it's still an S2 in my opinion. Sort of lipstick on a pig. Am I out of line here?
If you can afford core models then that's the way to go, but that's not the point of the S2 line. Some guitarists might only have a budget of $1000 - $1500 for a new guitar and the S2 fits that niche. I will agree that they are not on the same level as core, but they are not meant to be. Someone can still buy a Prs in their budget and get a quality guitar. The S2 line definitely blow other brand's guitars out of the water in that price range

Well if what you say is correct...PRS SE (Korean made) would be a much wiser choice as oppose to the S2 line as the factories in Korea are producing very stellar guitars. Not just for PRS but for a few other high-end manufacturers coming out of the same plant in Korea.

Sure, no doubt the SE is a quality guitar also. I own an SE and an S2 and personally I think that the S2 is a step up in quality from the SE line. You can tell instantly when you have both side by side. The same can be said for the core line and then private stock. Each one has a quality and finish that's above the other. Having said that, I love both my SE and my S2 and think they are great. I like playing my S2 more though. I also paid less for both than I would for a core model. Since I've tasted the koolaid, I'm saving to get a core model. I don't think I would have even considered PRS if it wasn't for these introductory lines. Now I won't play anything else.
I'm not trying to debate, just pointing out that the S2 line has it's place and it's a nice place to be.

Oh no worries. I wasn't trying to debate. I think you cleared up the niche of the S2 line and where it fits. Sometimes I scratch my head and wonder. Thanks for your input. Nonetheless, Paul Reed Smith guitars are some of the best no doubt!

That was my experience when investigating the S2 line as well...blah, bland, anemic sounding etc. I own all core models and have never once had any issues with tone or pups. I currently have 4 cores and have owned over 15 cores over the years. Great track record with PRS, couldn't ask for anything better. My concern with the S2 line is that they are suppose to be designed to "introduce" a potential buyer into the PRS family (core models) but instead they are being introduced into new a line of Guitars presented with a whole new set of problems like pup swaps, pot swaps, tuner swaps, switch swaps, tremolo swaps etc. Is this the kind of results PRS is expecting from potential buyers? Might as well spend your good hard-earned money on a core model in the first place. You can upgrade the hell out of an S2, but it's still an S2 in my opinion. Sort of lipstick on a pig. Am I out of line here?

I don't think you're out of line (the lipstick on a pig comment was a bit much, though).

Everyone has their own preferences and goals. There are plenty of S2 owners who are happily playing away on their guitars and aren't considering any playability mods at all. That wound be the other end of the spectrum from your views on the line.

I think that your projection that the S2 line is there only to entic buyers to move up to the core line is inaccurate. The line is designed to satisfy a price point, as many threads and videos have confirmed. It is designed to give players of similarly priced other brands a PRS opinion.

For you, as a player who has already owned and played core models, the S2 line might be seen as a step down. Buy you aren't the target market. I think people who know the PRS line and appreciate the core, artist, limited editions, signature models, private stocks, etc. are missing that point.

PRS isn't marketing the S2 line to those owners. PRS certainly isn't even saying the S2 line is equivalent to other lines or could replace them. The target audience is the people playing Schecters and Epiphones and the like who want a better build or just something different at the same price point.

Ragging on components in the S2 line as compared to the core line makes as much sense as disparaging a core line model because it doesn't have a PS quality top.

Apples.

Oranges.

Yeah they are both fruits, but the comparison isn't valid.

The target audience is the people playing Schecters and Epiphones and the like who want a better build or just something different at the same price point.

Ragging on components in the S2 line as compared to the core line makes as much sense as disparaging a core line model because it doesn't have a PS quality top.

Apples.

Oranges.

Yeah they are both fruits, but the comparison isn't valid.

I think you are a bit off target with who you think the target audience is. Schecters and Epi's are $800 and under. Gibsons LP studio offerings, SGs, Vs, etc plus the Fender USA standard stuff is really the direct competition in the $1500 and under price range.

With that in mind, I think its fair to get on PRS a bit about the S2 components. A lot of Gibsons parts, including pickups and electronics translate across the board from upper to lower end offerings. The bridge on the LP standard is the same one you get on the $800 LP studio. Other parts, pickups, pots, etc can be found across the entire range. I don't want to be disrespectful to PRS. My S2 is a fine playing guitar and my current favorite. But, lets be realistic. The electronics chain in the S2 guitars is the lowest quality of any US made guitar in that price range. That can't even be argued. My volume pot tanked (and others too) after very little usage. When you see another US company offering 2 new guitars around $1500 with all top shelf parts and stainless frets, it really makes me wonder where the value is in the S2 range. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with your assessment. I just bought a Gibson SG 2016 model at Christmas time for $1,000 and the electronics, bridge, pots, pickups, tuners...all components on the SG are the same as the LP Standard, Traditional, Classic and even high-end Les Paul line. It's all USA made for $1,000. I just feel that the S2 line could do better "under the hood" component-wise. A $2,300 to 2,500 S2 or even the new CE 24 reissue guitar with all USA core components would sell all day long in my opinion at that price point. No fuss, no muss with swapping out anything! Maybe the occasional pup but that's it. Anyways, I'm a Paul Reed Smith fan for sure. But sometimes I shake my head when I see corners skipped and quality compromised I order to fill a niche. Niches change and never last. Quality, reliability, innovation is what put PRS on the legit guitar manufacture radar. I get the SE line, I really do and they're great. But when I heard that the CE 24 was being re-introduced, I was a bit disappointed to find out that it strayed so far from the original CE line. 90% is different. My prediction is the new CE line will die a slow death due to the makeover that left out so many features that made the old CE line legendary in the first place. Sorry for the rant guys. But you'll find that if PRS doesn't reel in the new CE line and make it right, it's fate is already decided. Just like the Swam Ash Special when they put in three narrow field pups. The old school Swamp Ash was just perfect. Anyways, great insight from everybody.

I think you are a bit off target with who you think the target audience is. Schecters and Epi's are $800 and under. Gibsons LP studio offerings, SGs, Vs, etc plus the Fender USA standard stuff is really the direct competition in the $1500 and under price range.

With that in mind, I think its fair to get on PRS a bit about the S2 components. A lot of Gibsons parts, including pickups and electronics translate across the board from upper to lower end offerings. The bridge on the LP standard is the same one you get on the $800 LP studio. Other parts, pickups, pots, etc can be found across the entire range. I don't want to be disrespectful to PRS. My S2 is a fine playing guitar and my current favorite. But, lets be realistic. The electronics chain in the S2 guitars is the lowest quality of any US made guitar in that price range. That can't even be argued. My volume pot tanked (and others too) after very little usage. When you see another US company offering 2 new guitars around $1500 with all top shelf parts and stainless frets, it really makes me wonder where the value is in the S2 range. Just my 2 cents.

I only used Schecters and Epiphones as general examples, not the only examples, that's what the "and the like" part of that sentence means.

My point above is that PRS in not building S2s to compete with the core line. They are trying to give the players of other brands a new, lower priced option to switch to PRS. They therefore do not need to compete with PRS core specs, rather, they are competing with the specs of other brands at the same price point.

My contention is that S2s give non-PRS players a PRS Maryland build quality option at a price point below core. You can compare S2s to core or artist or PS all day and it's a meaningless comparison. The target market is new customers in that price range, not existing customers playing core and above. They are also targeting SE owners who can move up but still cannot afford core and better.

Anyone who judges the S2 line by core specs and parts simply does not understand PRS's intended market for the line.

I agree. And while the electronics in the similarly priced Gibsons are the same as their more expensive lines, I feel Gibson cuts corners on other things. I tried a couple Les Pauls that were in the $900 range that the fret ends were so overhanging the fretboard and sharp that you would cut yourself. Also the nut wasn't cut right as the strings were binding and causing tuning issues. I ended up buying an S2 satin standard 24 which I love. I also own a Mark Tremonti from the core line, but both guitars are great.

Truth be known...In 2000 I bought a 1968 Les Paul Custom, my first internet purchase. I opened the case, it looked so sweet. I picked up the guitar and gave it a strum. Thud...WTF??? The nut was on backwards. I couldn't believe what I saw. Was is a Friday guitar? Was it a revenge guitar from some burn-out on the assembly line? How did this pass QC? Anyways, problem was rectified and I then made my first PRS purchase, a McCarty in McCartyburst! Thanks to the burnout at Gibson who introduced me to Paul Reed Smith!!!

I played my S2 single cut semi last night and damn this guitar sounds killer! Everything is stock except for the Mann 2300 bridge.
The neck carve is perfect. Everything just feels great.
I have a hard time putting it down.
IMG_2262_zpsy62l4u4h.jpg

Last edited:
My first S2 was a Single Cut / Semi-Hollow... It arrived and I was stunned by the beauty, build quality, lightness (7lbs.) and resonance. It played like a dream! The electrified tone however, I found to be very generic and inorganic... cheap sounding) The woody resonance you could hear acoustically seemed as though it was being filtered out... removed by the electronics. Within a month I ordered and installed a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity PAFs... I also replaced all electronics with a nice package from RS Guitarworks (Superpots / CTS tone pots, Switchcraft 3-way, good caps, modern style wiring, treble bleed kits. Wow! Potential fully realized, I was so delighted, when I had the opportunity to pick up a second S2 on the used market, I jumped on it and treated it to the same exact upgrade. Both are now insane ergonomic tone monsters... worthy PRS USA instruments. Though they share the same electronics, each has it's own voice. Soooo Happy!

Well this makes me super freaking happy. Thanks for sharing man. Going with the Mojotone PW Hornet sets in both. How much was that upgrade (per guitar) if you don't mind me asking?

I also replaced all electronics with a nice package from RS Guitarworks (Superpots / CTS tone pots, Switchcraft 3-way, good caps, modern style wiring, treble bleed kits. Wow! Potential fully realized.
I am thinking about the same kit for my singlecut. Did you get the standard PRS upgrade, or did you customize it? What exactly did you feel you gained with the RS electronics?

Thanks!

Back