Singlecut S2 Tonal Issues

worthweaver

Hey hey everyone.

I have 2 S2 Singlecuts that I purchased to bring my late 90s Custom 22s off the road, and I wanted to get thoughts on the tones the S2s are producing.

To my ear, they seem lacking. Might be a resonance issue, but they definitely are waaaaay more boxy, thin, and lifeless sounding.

The build quality of the S2 line is top notch, but the tones have me wanting.

Thanks for the input!:)

I know they are using S2 #7s and I found that those need to definitely be adjusted to help their tone. Perhaps start there, and then maybe upgrade to different pickups. Also, did you adjust the settings on your amp as well to compensate for the different guitars?

I know they are using S2 #7s and I found that those need to definitely be adjusted to help their tone. Perhaps start there, and then maybe upgrade to different pickups. Also, did you adjust the settings on your amp as well to compensate for the different guitars?
Yessir. I play through a variety of different amps depending on what band I'm jamming with, but there is a definitive difference in tonal character here from the Custom 22s. I'm considering moving over to Duncans or some of the new Mojotone lines of PUs. I essentially want input from people that have core PRS guitars and have tried to move to the S2. Thanks!

Just a curious question, not a personal attack.... why did you buy not one, but two guitars you don't really like?

Just a curious question, not a personal attack.... why did you buy not one, but two guitars you don't really like?
Not an attack at all. I have always been an avid PRS fan, but as tours got bigger I wanted to leave my 3000.00 (and aging) Custom 22s at home. I did a ton of research and play testing on every upper-mid level guitar that was in the price range. I really wanted craftsmanship and out of the box playability. Nothing beat the PRS for the money, and this isn't really a gripe. I'm just curious if anyone's opinion is similar to mine about the instruments, and if so, what (potentially build techniques) causes the slightly less full tone I'm hearing. Once again. The guitars don't sound bad by any means. Just different.

It might just be the pickups. I have a S2 Mira and a S2 Standard 22 and the stock pickups weren't up my alley. But honestly most stock pickups aren't. I have core Prs, Gibson, Gibson Custom Shop and almost everyone either has Duncan, Suhr or Bare Knuckle pickups in them. What style of music are you playing Worthweaver?

It might just be the pickups. I have a S2 Mira and a S2 Standard 22 and the stock pickups weren't up my alley. But honestly most stock pickups aren't. I have core Prs, Gibson, Gibson Custom Shop and almost everyone either has Duncan, Suhr or Bare Knuckle pickups in them. What style of music are you playing Worthweaver?
Thanks 6packJon! Right now I'm between Blues/Rock and a heavier riff driven rock band. Amps I'm using are a Budda Superdrive 18, Dual Rec, and PRS Archon.

Last edited:
Depending on budget you might like the Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell set or a Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge pickup with a Ssv neck pickup.

My first S2 was a Single Cut / Semi-Hollow... It arrived and I was stunned by the beauty, build quality, lightness (7lbs.) and resonance. It played like a dream! The electrified tone however, I found to be very generic and inorganic... cheap sounding) The woody resonance you could hear acoustically seemed as though it was being filtered out... removed by the electronics. Within a month I ordered and installed a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity PAFs... I also replaced all electronics with a nice package from RS Guitarworks (Superpots / CTS tone pots, Switchcraft 3-way, good caps, modern style wiring, treble bleed kits. Wow! Potential fully realized, I was so delighted, when I had the opportunity to pick up a second S2 on the used market, I jumped on it and treated it to the same exact upgrade. Both are now insane ergonomic tone monsters... worthy PRS USA instruments. Though they share the same electronics, each has it's own voice. Soooo Happy!

Not an attack at all. I have always been an avid PRS fan, but as tours got bigger I wanted to leave my 3000.00 (and aging) Custom 22s at home. I did a ton of research and play testing on every upper-mid level guitar that was in the price range. I really wanted craftsmanship and out of the box playability. Nothing beat the PRS for the money, and this isn't really a gripe. I'm just curious if anyone's opinion is similar to mine about the instruments, and if so, what (potentially build techniques) causes the slightly less full tone I'm hearing. Once again. The guitars don't sound bad by any means. Just different.

Well...as PRS himself says, "everything affects everything."

So, your'e touring...any band links we should know about?

Gutting the electronics in entirety is a must with an S2. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that but its the truth. My S2 CU24 is amazing with core electronics/pickups.

Gutting the electronics in entirety is a must with an S2. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that but its the truth. My S2 CU24 is amazing with core electronics/pickups.

Agree that replacing the volume pots is a must, but I think the caps and the push/pull tones are as good as it gets. Push/pulls simply don't get up to the quality of the best full size pots. The three way is a little sloppy, but I live with it fine.

My S2 Singlecut is all mahogany, but there is certainly nothing lacking tone-wise. Acoustically, it's loud and resonant, sustains like crazy. I wasn't a fan of the stock pickups, but knew the core of this particular guitar was excellent. I installed Suhr Thornbuckers and PRS core volume pots (modern wiring with the stock 180pf treble bleeds) and it is now outstanding.

My first S2 was a Single Cut / Semi-Hollow... It arrived and I was stunned by the beauty, build quality, lightness (7lbs.) and resonance. It played like a dream! The electrified tone however, I found to be very generic and inorganic... cheap sounding) The woody resonance you could hear acoustically seemed as though it was being filtered out... removed by the electronics. Within a month I ordered and installed a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity PAFs... I also replaced all electronics with a nice package from RS Guitarworks (Superpots / CTS tone pots, Switchcraft 3-way, good caps, modern style wiring, treble bleed kits. Wow! Potential fully realized, I was so delighted, when I had the opportunity to pick up a second S2 on the used market, I jumped on it and treated it to the same exact upgrade. Both are now insane ergonomic tone monsters... worthy PRS USA instruments. Though they share the same electronics, each has it's own voice. Soooo Happy!

Nicely done!

That was my experience when investigating the S2 line as well...blah, bland, anemic sounding etc. I own all core models and have never once had any issues with tone or pups. I currently have 4 cores and have owned over 15 cores over the years. Great track record with PRS, couldn't ask for anything better. My concern with the S2 line is that they are suppose to be designed to "introduce" a potential buyer into the PRS family (core models) but instead they are being introduced into new a line of Guitars presented with a whole new set of problems like pup swaps, pot swaps, tuner swaps, switch swaps, tremolo swaps etc. Is this the kind of results PRS is expecting from potential buyers? Might as well spend your good hard-earned money on a core model in the first place. You can upgrade the hell out of an S2, but it's still an S2 in my opinion. Sort of lipstick on a pig. Am I out of line here?

Back