Singlecut ID help needed (Alex Lifeson content)

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
It was a slow day at work today, so started putting together a list of the electric PRS guitars that Alex Lifeson has played. I've found about 15-20 individual guitars so far. I am trying to determine which model he is holding in the photos below. I'm pretty sure, based on the quilt pattern, that it's the same guitar in both photos. The magazine is the August 2002 issue, if that helps. It has non-locking tuners, looks like a thicker body, and a blank truss rod cover. I'm interested in finding out the model, specs (scale length, pickups, etc) and year, if possible. McCarty maybe?

singlecut_zpsyzrtkwjk.jpg

backissues.cgi

Thanks for any help, guys!

Looks like a McCarty Singlecut. 25" scale. Mine has '7' pickups, not sure if his were different or not. This is the model that led to the lawsuit by Gibson in '04-05.

Reactions: TFC
As I look at it more closely, it's not the standard adjustable bridge, but looks like the bridge from my HB1 with piezo. Life's on used a lot of piezo tones, I don't know if this guitar is a piezo, but it looks like an adjustable bridge.

Looks like an original Singlecut. So not older than '00, #7 pickups would've been stock, 25" scale. As pointed out, it has the adjustable stoptail, which wasn't typically available on the model at the time.

It is not a McCarty. Ted's name didn't get associated with any single cutaway guitars until later.

I remember that guitar well. It's just a regular, first generation, Singlecut. Most likely #7 pickups. Adjustable stoptail bridge, no piezo.

IIRC...he used a red PRS SC for "Tom Sawyer" when they recently (relatively recent???) opened with it ...R30 tour???, and I don't recall seeing it again during any shows since. And I would have to agree...going back to the "Gib$on" guys????...I dunno??????

Edit: Just looked...possibly the Vapor Trails tour, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Back