Single dot 12th Fret marker on CE & CU

PeteHill

Been hanging around a while
Hi all,
My two recent aquisitions are a 1999 CE24 and a 2004 CU24. Hopefully my GAS is now complete ;)

However, on both these guitars, the fretboard edge markers at the 12th fret are only a single dot marker. My S2, and all previous guitars, have double dots.

I'm finding I must use this as quick reference when changing positions as I'm making more errors. Has anyone any 'none invasive' suggestions to help the 12th position stand out on these?

Cheers

A dab of White Out or a small cut out from a label would work, and be harmless.

Sometimes I think I'd rather see patients use a Dremel instead of super glue...:mad:

Not that I'm advocating the use of EITHER by anyone...
]

Indeed. Heard about people using superglue for DIY dentistry - not something I'd want to try personally, but yeah, never go near your mouth or any other body part with a Dremel!!!

A chainsaw is much more effective.

Serious answer to the question...

The small label suggestion is good. Like some kind of film rather than paper though. Don't expect anything to last though.

You can get white permanent markers to draw a dot but you'd have to check it wouldn't damage the finish.

I've used a wite out pen on all my fret markers on my CE24 for a few years now. Easy, cheap, works well and no issues. I keep one in my gig bag to touch up when the dots inevitably peel off.

I found that I really didn't need anything. If you see this thing once, like seeing you're dad's "while fixing the sink butt crack", you can't unsee it. The 12th fret is the only one that has two blank frets before and two after. When you notice it once, it's really easy to see that again.

But when it's darker on stage you can't see the dots at all. The Wite Out works really well to remedy that. And who really has time to count frets? I need to see either one dot or two. Ain't nobody got time to think!

I found that I really didn't need anything. If you see this thing once, like seeing you're dad's "while fixing the sink butt crack", you can't unsee it. The 12th fret is the only one that has two blank frets before and two after. When you notice it once, it's really easy to see that again.

I do get that, re 2 blank frets each side, but it's almost a peripheral vision thing. The errors are often when quickly finding 17th fret rather than 12th.

It's also noteable that the contrast of the rosewood against MOP isn't that strong. I may well try the white out pen

Hi all,
My two recent aquisitions are a 1999 CE24 and a 2004 CU24. Hopefully my GAS is now complete ;)

However, on both these guitars, the fretboard edge markers at the 12th fret are only a single dot marker. My S2, and all previous guitars, have double dots.

I'm finding I must use this as quick reference when changing positions as I'm making more errors. Has anyone any 'none invasive' suggestions to help the 12th position stand out on these?

Cheers

Once upon a time there was a famous guy playing PRS guitars regularly on stages all over the world who marked the back of the neck with markings that he could see during shows. I forget what they looked like but I think it may have been as drastic as big dots and fret lines he could see while leaning back far enough to see the back of the neck while playing.

There exists a "glow in the dark" ink applicator that when dry, will come off with a finger nail (you have to pick at it a bit) and won't damage the finish.

Whatever this stuff is, the previous owner of my CU24 put it over the dots and it works. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is is. And no, I can't ask the previous owner....he passed shortly after I acquired the guitar.

Good luck on the hunt for your solution!

There exists a "glow in the dark" ink applicator that when dry, will come off with a finger nail (you have to pick at it a bit) and won't damage the finish.

Whatever this stuff is, the previous owner of my CU24 put it over the dots and it works. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is is. And no, I can't ask the previous owner....he passed shortly after I acquired the guitar.

Good luck on the hunt for your solution!

Many thanks, I'll search, and if necessary may scrape and replace.

I was jamming to backing tracks today with my 3 PRS. The Core CU and Core CE have a single MOP dot at fret 12. The S2 has double white dots. I made less positional errors with the S2.

The double dot is a factor, but also is the brightness. The S2's are very clear

I rarely look at the dots :( I'm not trying to be silly, but you could practice it by feel until you can do it with your eyes closed? More difficult to do if you have multiple, different axes per show.

I only play my 24 fret PRS's now, although played many different guitars over the years. I didn't think I needed the fret markers, until now.

I have, however, found a solution that works. I've sourced florescent acrilic pen, and have put a couple of dabs on 12 flet. Works really well.

My nylon string guitars do not have fret position markers anywhere. Generally I get along okay without them but occasionally I would become lost especially around frets 6, 7 & 8 (for some inexplicable reason). To overcome this I place a small strip of clear low-tack tape on the rear of the neck behind the 7th fret. Easily removed without damage to the finish also.

Back