Single cut vs double cut ergonomic difference?

parek

Are there dimensional differences between lets say HB single cut and double cut in terms of how the guitar sits on your lap? Is the bridge in the same spot? What I mean is, do I have to adjust my hand/arm location if I change between guitars. For example strat vs les paul requires totally diffefent positioning of hands/arms.

Or is the only ergonomical difference that the upper horn is missing?

Hmmmm, good question!!! I have never measured, but I do not notice a significant shift in my playing positions when I shift between a SC and a DC.

I don't feel a difference, but I'm pretty forgiving of such things...

Are there dimensional differences between lets say HB single cut and double cut in terms of how the guitar sits on your lap? Is the bridge in the same spot? What I mean is, do I have to adjust my hand/arm location if I change between guitars. For example strat vs les paul requires totally diffefent positioning of hands/arms.

Or is the only ergonomical difference that the upper horn is missing?

I have both. They are two very different guitars which I never knew!! The body is wider, deeper and longer on the SC which gives it that bigger sound.
You DO notice a difference in picking hand location when you quickly switch, but you adjust in a minute or two. No big deal at all. I love them both!!
You can probably see the difference in this pic

20180915_184949.jpg

I have both. They are two very different guitars which I never knew!! The body is wider, deeper and longer on the SC which gives it that bigger sound.
You DO notice a difference in picking hand location when you quickly switch, but you adjust in a minute or two. No big deal at all. I love them both!!

20180915_184949.jpg

I’m just in it for the pic. ;)

Lol!! I always knew you were the superficial type Mr. Les.
:p

I’m so utterly shallow! I should be mortified.

But them’s some nice guitars, my friend! :)

BTW, Tag, I believe that our pal-ship goes back 15 years, because that’s about when you got me into Two-Rocks. That’s a long time.

Reactions: Tag

This is pretty accurate, I own both and (to me) they are different critters and I adjust not only picking hand but overall posture and approach too. As Tag says though, you adjust pretty quickly. I find that I sit up straighter to play the SC and slouch a little more with the double cutaway cause it's a little more comfortable to play and I relax more.

This is pretty accurate, I own both and (to me) they are different critters and I adjust not only picking hand but overall posture and approach too. As Tag says though, you adjust pretty quickly. I find that I sit up straighter to play the SC and slouch a little more with the double cutaway cause it's a little more comfortable to play and I relax more.

While I really am only here for the pics today, having both - and really liking both - I gotta agree. They’re different. It’s not a bad thing.

I'm hopefully looking at finally commissioning a Ps HB build next year and am thinking double cut design as it's more Prs to me ( I own both btw but not HB) Loving the info here. Food for thought and Huggy !!!
Ill be banging on ya door mate.!!!

WOW those 3 are stunning !!! guitars
Single cuts hang a bit differently when playing standing ( different balance ) and to me the reach to the upper frets feels a bit different.
Its less noticeable when sitting down for me.

20180915_184949.jpg

20180915_184949.jpg
Agree! Love em all!
UJ3bCZs.jpg

Great googly moogly! Those are some spectacular tops, especially the quilt.
Thanks! I seldom move for guitars nowadays, because my interest has really been in pernambuco necks. These two were the exceptions in a long time.

Last edited:
I have an example of both, and I find them to be very different feeling guitars. Playing/neck position is different and they feel different in your lap. The whole neck join and top cutout area is different too

Back