Single cut dilemma

I search an LP like tone, not the one and only LP tone (in this case, my original question would not have any sense, you want LP tone, buy a LP...).
I'm settled for the SE 245, ebony veneer because I will look fabulous with it, and if I look fabulous, I will probably sound fabulous (Please Sergio, a little help here).
The guitar will be the same scale length than a LP, the same woods, if the sound is too far away from a LP, I will give a try to other pickups and I'm perfectly sure I will come very close to the sound I seek ;)

Anyway, Thanks for all these answers, as usual, this is a very good forum with many interesting people sharing interesting opinions.

SE Bernie Marsden should fill your bill if you can find one
I had a Tremonti SE and it was a killer guitar great substantial neck

My first. Guitar was a used epi lp ,once I decided I liked playing enough to keep with I went to Guitar center to buy a new epi Lp. After looking at everyone they had along with several lower priced Gibson lp's the salesman said have you tried one of these and handed me a se 245. I could not believe the difference in quality. I could not be happier with the feel and sound and would never consider going to a epi or g again.

I'm just not sure the ebony top is the best choice in your particular case. If you are looking for a ballpark LP tone, why not stay true to the recipe of Hog back and neck with maple top and rosewood fretboard? If you're just looking for a great sounding and looking guitar, then go for it! But if you truly are trying to stay more in the LP zip code, then the original recipe may be best. IMHO.

Kevin

I'd go Bernie all the way, and there are still new ones out there in Europe if you look hard enough (Belgium and Netherlands for sure)

I'm just not sure the ebony top is the best choice in your particular case. If you are looking for a ballpark LP tone, why not stay true to the recipe of Hog back and neck with maple top and rosewood fretboard? If you're just looking for a great sounding and looking guitar, then go for it! But if you truly are trying to stay more in the LP zip code, then the original recipe may be best. IMHO.

Kevin
From what I gather, the ebony top to the body is a thin veneer, like the quilted/flamed maple veneer they usually put on over the much thicker plain maple cap. Fretboard is still rosewood.

I suspect the OP will get a pretty darned good tone with that guitar, and if he/she (I don't recall seeing a specific gender, and I hate to assume) likes the look then that can be a huge boost to how well you want to play!

That top is a winner. I'd already have a sold sign on the website!

I search an LP like tone, not the one and only LP tone (in this case, my original question would not have any sense, you want LP tone, buy a LP...).
I'm settled for the SE 245, ebony veneer because I will look fabulous with it, and if I look fabulous, I will probably sound fabulous (Please Sergio, a little help here).

large.jpg

z5z8e.jpg

Absolutely! Lookin' good is the first step to soundin' good.

Personally, I believe that most people who have to have that Les Paul sound are really going for that Les Paul look. After countless blind shootouts across the internet where 90% of the listeners pick the wrong guitar, and the analogies that get thrown around about what a Les Paul is supposed to sound like (my favorite being "A good LP sounds like a Tele on steroids" :rolleyes: ) and the literal hundreds of changes made to the LP design over the years, and all the different models.. I don't know where the consensus that "only a LP sounds like an LP" comes from if not the look.

That SE with the ebony top is sweet!! I bet it sounds killer too. As far as the "LP" sound - it was the sound I needed when I joined my current band. What that actually translated to, for me, was a crisp treble response, clear but full mids and a fat bottom end that stayed tight. I got close with an S2 Singlecut Standard, but got what I wanted in the "LP" tone when I got my '08 SC245 with 57/08s. It still satisfies that sound for me.

However, JUST before I got the S2 I was rocking an SE245. It was a nice guitar, but it went bye-bye when I was "upgrading" my instruments. It should be a very pleasing instrument!!! Enjoy!

Whether an SE245 is in the close vicinity of "LP tone" or not, I can't say... never owned a LP. But I will say, I would take the SE any day over most G's below a very high price point - I just don't trust the G's QC with the budget game.

Rest assured you've put your money on the best guitar to be had on your budget.

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie! I have the black model, American wiring, nut, and Whole Lotta humbuckers and it sings.

All of you already decided me to settle for a PRS instead of a low price G.
I even had a very kind offer for a Bernie in private conversation, many thanks.
The only problem I have with Bernies is the 3 pots in line, as I already answered to the offer, my heart has to be convinced that this look is as beautiful as standard the 4 pots.
I'll give it a few hours and sees if it can be done ^^

Last edited:
I have previously owned a number of gibson les pauls in the past and found that the sound between the ones i owned to vary rather a lot.
I had a 95 lp studio.......beautiful zingy lead sound and great rock chords, A 98 lp std ebony,,,,,,sounded sort of bolan-ish, a little nasal and wooley in its lead tones (think motorcycle emptiness by the manic street preachers) maybe a bit too fat for classic rock chords, a 2000 lp std gold top ltd.....great for rock/blues with great bite and a nice sort of snarl when you wanted (gary moore without a doubt)! A 98 custom shop lp elegant (very similar to the goldtop I had) And an 02 lp std (like the previous 2 with its volume dialed back but wilder with the volume full on).
I recently picked up a prs se245 2011 model and it also sounds great but, i would not say it sounds the same as any of my les pauls but it does have a rather pleasing sound of its own.

Back