Single cut dilemma

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by owickerman, Jul 18, 2017.

1. owickerman

owickerman New Member

I search an LP like tone, not the one and only LP tone (in this case, my original question would not have any sense, you want LP tone, buy a LP...).
    I'm settled for the SE 245, ebony veneer because I will look fabulous with it, and if I look fabulous, I will probably sound fabulous (Please Sergio, a little help here).
    The guitar will be the same scale length than a LP, the same woods, if the sound is too far away from a LP, I will give a try to other pickups and I'm perfectly sure I will come very close to the sound I seek ;)

Anyway, Thanks for all these answers, as usual, this is a very good forum with many interesting people sharing interesting opinions.

dogrocketp, bodia and garrett like this.
  2. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

SE Bernie Marsden should fill your bill if you can find one
    I had a Tremonti SE and it was a killer guitar great substantial neck

Elliot likes this.
  3. MotorPro

MotorPro New Member

My first. Guitar was a used epi lp ,once I decided I liked playing enough to keep with I went to Guitar center to buy a new epi Lp. After looking at everyone they had along with several lower priced Gibson lp's the salesman said have you tried one of these and handed me a se 245. I could not believe the difference in quality. I could not be happier with the feel and sound and would never consider going to a epi or g again.

dogrocketp, bodia and grausch like this.
  4. kes7u

kes7u Wife's husband and Dog's dad

I'm just not sure the ebony top is the best choice in your particular case. If you are looking for a ballpark LP tone, why not stay true to the recipe of Hog back and neck with maple top and rosewood fretboard? If you're just looking for a great sounding and looking guitar, then go for it! But if you truly are trying to stay more in the LP zip code, then the original recipe may be best. IMHO.

Kevin

5. Iceman101

Iceman101 There's always room for one more.....

I'd go Bernie all the way, and there are still new ones out there in Europe if you look hard enough (Belgium and Netherlands for sure)

grausch likes this.
  6. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

From what I gather, the ebony top to the body is a thin veneer, like the quilted/flamed maple veneer they usually put on over the much thicker plain maple cap. Fretboard is still rosewood.

I suspect the OP will get a pretty darned good tone with that guitar, and if he/she (I don't recall seeing a specific gender, and I hate to assume) likes the look then that can be a huge boost to how well you want to play!

kes7u likes this.
  7. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

That top is a winner. I'd already have a sold sign on the website!

8. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dogrocketp and bodia like this.
  9. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Too Funky

Absolutely! Lookin' good is the first step to soundin' good.

Personally, I believe that most people who have to have that Les Paul sound are really going for that Les Paul look. After countless blind shootouts across the internet where 90% of the listeners pick the wrong guitar, and the analogies that get thrown around about what a Les Paul is supposed to sound like (my favorite being "A good LP sounds like a Tele on steroids" :rolleyes: ) and the literal hundreds of changes made to the LP design over the years, and all the different models.. I don't know where the consensus that "only a LP sounds like an LP" comes from if not the look.

10. markd21

markd21 New Member

That SE with the ebony top is sweet!! I bet it sounds killer too. As far as the "LP" sound - it was the sound I needed when I joined my current band. What that actually translated to, for me, was a crisp treble response, clear but full mids and a fat bottom end that stayed tight. I got close with an S2 Singlecut Standard, but got what I wanted in the "LP" tone when I got my '08 SC245 with 57/08s. It still satisfies that sound for me.

However, JUST before I got the S2 I was rocking an SE245. It was a nice guitar, but it went bye-bye when I was "upgrading" my instruments. It should be a very pleasing instrument!!! Enjoy!

[​IMG]

dogrocketp, grausch and bodia like this.
  11. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Whether an SE245 is in the close vicinity of "LP tone" or not, I can't say... never owned a LP. But I will say, I would take the SE any day over most G's below a very high price point - I just don't trust the G's QC with the budget game.

Rest assured you've put your money on the best guitar to be had on your budget.

12. mojo1fan

mojo1fan New Member

This, all day long.

13. tyfu20

tyfu20 New Member

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie! I have the black model, American wiring, nut, and Whole Lotta humbuckers and it sings.

14. owickerman

owickerman New Member

All of you already decided me to settle for a PRS instead of a low price G.
    I even had a very kind offer for a Bernie in private conversation, many thanks.
    The only problem I have with Bernies is the 3 pots in line, as I already answered to the offer, my heart has to be convinced that this look is as beautiful as standard the 4 pots.
    I'll give it a few hours and sees if it can be done ^^

#34 owickerman, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  15. owickerman

owickerman New Member

16. grausch

grausch New Member

Damn, I was hoping no one would see that 594... :(

Looks like I need to move fast - December holiday vs. PRS 594 is an easy decision for me. Now I just need to persuade the wife and the kids...

17. owickerman

owickerman New Member

You can buy it and send it to me for my birthday in 2 weeks, as you can see in my avatar, I already have her 509 sister.
    I can assure you that I will give her all the love she deserves.
    Thanks in advance.
    :D

dogrocketp and grausch like this.
  18. evan47

evan47 New Member

I have previously owned a number of gibson les pauls in the past and found that the sound between the ones i owned to vary rather a lot.
    I had a 95 lp studio.......beautiful zingy lead sound and great rock chords, A 98 lp std ebony,,,,,,sounded sort of bolan-ish, a little nasal and wooley in its lead tones (think motorcycle emptiness by the manic street preachers) maybe a bit too fat for classic rock chords, a 2000 lp std gold top ltd.....great for rock/blues with great bite and a nice sort of snarl when you wanted (gary moore without a doubt)! A 98 custom shop lp elegant (very similar to the goldtop I had) And an 02 lp std (like the previous 2 with its volume dialed back but wilder with the volume full on).
    I recently picked up a prs se245 2011 model and it also sounds great but, i would not say it sounds the same as any of my les pauls but it does have a rather pleasing sound of its own.