Single cut dilemma

owickerman

Hi everybody ;)

As stated in the title, I have a cruel dilemma.
I want a single cut (who doesnt?) and I just had an unexpected money entry, so I can buy a guitar around 1k€ and my wife will not kill me...

That was the easy part.
Now for the dilemma.

I love the LP sound, I would like to use this guitar for Led Zep DADGAD tuning or Slashy sounds.
I can buy a SE 245 or I can buy a guitar from another brand, starting with a G (I did not even consider anything else and probably wont, I want a guitar, not a log ^^).

Will a SE 245 (2017 model) give me the sounds I want (I cannot try one, there is none available around me right now) or should I go for G since I want the G sound?

I now that the correct answer is to buy both and a Santana because I do not have any but I really want to stay alive a little more and my wife will kill me find a slow and painful way to kill me if I buy 3 guitars.

Thanks for any advice you can give me in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently said in another thread that "if you want the sound of a Les Paul, get a Les Paul". And I meant it. But, your problem isn't that simple. If you are going for a Les Paul sound and you only have enough cash for the SE/Epiphone level guitar, it's a little more complicated. Technically speaking, you aren't into the true Les Paul money yet. So given the options at that level it's a no brainer for me. I'd get the SE 245. Better quality, better tuning stability, better playability, and better tone. Still have to say that it won't get you the last 10% of the Les Paul growl, but neither will the Epiphone. Even a LP Studio won't get there. So given the options, I'd pick the better guitar.

You could also try some S2 Standards - used they should be under budget while new may be slightly over.

In case you decide on the SE 245, my SE Bernie Marsden with BKP Mules does a pretty good LP sound. The one with the older 245 pickups does not - no clue how the 2017 SE pickups will compare to the LP.

Thanks for these very valuable opinions.
So, according to what I said before and what has already neen answered, perhaps the SE 245 with a pair of nice pups (Slash pups or any LP pups?) can do the job?

It's weight relieved, its got the 490R/498T pickups, it doesn't appear to me to be able to deliver the bottom end of a true LP. I haven't heard much praise for the Tribute series.

My money is still on the 245.

Agree.

Either guitar would get you in the ballpark, though I don't think either would truly nail the LP thing we all know and love. I believe the better built guitar will be the SE.

I'm a bit sad that the Tremonti Standard is out of the lineup. Huge sounding guitar and the binding gives a little of that LP look and feel. I don't know about Europe, but they're all over the used market in the States. You could buy three of them with your budget. Or you could buy one and install your favorite set of pickups and still come out a hero with the Mrs for coming in under budget.

Thanks for these very valuable opinions.
So, according to what I said before and what has already neen answered, perhaps the SE 245 with a pair of nice pups (di Marzio Slash or any LP pups?) can do the job?
Don't sell the SE pickups short. They are very good. Not boutique good, but really good. Try them first and then decide.

I did not find any Tremonti without a tremolo and I really want a fixed bridge (my 3 current guitars are with tremolo).

Edit:
Good advice to not replace the pups without trying the factory ones, thanks ;)

I'm with AP and Garrett. I'd go with the SE all day. Way back in 2012 I went to the local GC looking for a G under $2k. I tried everything they had in my price point, and was underwhelmed by them all. I was dejected, and ready to leave when I saw the Bernie. I hadn't heard of it prior to that. I played it unplugged for less than 10 minutes and knew this was the best guitar I had played all day, hands down. Couldn't be happier with that purchase. I have since modded it, just because it's fun, not that it really needed anything.

Speaking of Santana's, I was surprised to find they had more grunt than I expected. Don't count them out!

I did not find any Tremonti without a tremolo and I really want a fixed bridge (my 3 current guitars are with tremolo).

Edit:
Good advice to not replace the pups without trying the factory ones, thanks ;)

The Tremonti Custom is quite a different guitar. Trem, maple top, thin neck. Surely will still sound great, but not the same as the Tremonti Standard (all hog, wide/fat neck).

I agree SE pickups are generally quite good. I'd take the SE245 set over the 498/490 any day.

So in the end, we're giving the obvious answer: buy a PRS. ;)

Thanks for all these answers, I will go with the SE 245, I can have a "cheap" for 750€, 2017 cherry sunburst or a ltd one with ebony top for 830€.
For me, cherry sunburst is the original singlecut color but the ebony top is so beautiful...
Do you think the ebony top will drag the sound away from the LP growl or that it will not be significant?

Thanks for all these answers, I will go with the SE 245, I can have a "cheap" for 750€, 2017 cherry sunburst or a ltd one with ebony top for 830€.
For me, cherry sunburst is the original singlecut color but the ebony top is so beautiful...
Do you think the ebony top will drag the sound away from the LP growl or that it will not be significant?
Ebony top? Do you mean fretboard or actual body? An ebony fretboard will make it brighter. May not be a bad thing but it will sound a little different. Will cut through the mix more if you have been missing that, but won't add to the bottom end any.

Agree.

Either guitar would get you in the ballpark, though I don't think either would truly nail the LP thing we all know and love.

I don't love the LP thing as much as the PRS SC thing. The PRS tone is clearer and tighter in the low mids, and more open on top.

Not saying one is better or worse, just that nailing the perfect LP tone isn't the be-all, end-all guitar experience for everyone.

YMMV

I played a SC 245 with 57/08s once - I only needed to hit one chord to get rid of the idea that only a LP could get that growl. A SE 245 with a decent set of PAFs will get you in the LP ballpark. My older (and PRS subsequently changed pickups) 245 pickups do not have that growl - they are more modern sounding. The Bernie with Mules would give any LP a run for its money if I was chasing the LP tone.

While the top may make a difference, the pickups, scale length, strings and amp settings probably make a bigger difference. Can you get to Thomann and try them? Also, if you order online, you have 30 days to return a guitar if you really don't like it.

Back