Single coils...

I had a stock 305 but moved it. I liked the guitar but switching to it required a fair amount of amp changes from my HB guitars.

I will admit i kind of miss it.

I do have a modded 305 that I got over at VR. Routed for HBs neck and bridge. It has SD humbuckers that are ok but I got a pair of HB sized P90s from Bodia that I think I'll put in it.

So far, I have played both 509's and 513's with maple necks and without and a 305 with a maple neck. The 509 wouldn't have been as dark as the 513 in any case, and it has a subtly different voice than any of those three. The 509 pick up sounds more like it was wound with the wire used on 5708's, clearer and more articulate. The bridge also has more of a growl and a bit of a twang to it. I will be interested to hear how these 509 wood library run guitars sound with maple necks and swamp ash bodies.

I agree that the 509 sounds clearer due to the pickup wire (and 408 wiring) but I really missed the heavy humbucker mode that was on the 513. I just could get more sounds out of the 513.

I liked the DC3 best in terms of single coil tones. I'd need to know the pickup heights were all the same distance from the strings in a video like that.

Back